Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

SentimentRules Investing

Any other investment discussions eg. peer to peer lending
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Re: SentimentRules Investing

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » July 9th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Alaric wrote:When you get major dumping such as the last days of Carillion, who is the likely counter party who is picking up the other side of the trade?

I must admit, I don't have the faintest idea. Who was then?

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » July 9th, 2019, 8:00 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
Alaric wrote:When you get major dumping such as the last days of Carillion, who is the likely counter party who is picking up the other side of the trade?

Isn't that how short-sellers make their money? Buying back a turkey doesn't hurt you if you have already sold borrowed stock at a much higher price.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » July 10th, 2019, 6:09 am

77ss wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:

Isn't that how short-sellers make their money? Buying back a turkey doesn't hurt you if you have already sold borrowed stock at a much higher price.

Yeah, of course, my bad.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » July 10th, 2019, 8:17 am

SentimentRules wrote:Ok so let's say i see Tesco fell to 200p.

And it's at an area of institutional past positioning. (Volume based ).

============================

i struggle to understand these posts .

what does the highlighted above mean please ?

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 10th, 2019, 8:18 am

"When you get major dumping such as the last days of Carillion, who is the likely counter party who is picking up the other side of the trade?"

Teletubbies.

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 10th, 2019, 8:22 am

jackdaww wrote:

Hi Jack. Will post it in UKX shorts to you on the weekend

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » July 10th, 2019, 11:45 am

jackdaww wrote:

I *think* what is saying is that 200p is the SP relevant to when some institutions bought in TSCO.

However what if what I'm *assuming* is true, who would anyone know this? That is, most institutional trades are hidden from the public knowledge - aren't they?

SentimentRules wrote:I'm afraid my charts and how i trade you won't find online or in books. Not my exact style anyway. But happy to share what i can. On the weekend il post you some snapshots of my charts in technical analysis somewhere. And explain all that's on them. Not that i use tools that dont exist to others. But my settings are not something you'll come across typically. So il show you on weekend.

However do note, I pay for chart software. Sharescope and sharepad (sharepad has a decent fundamental dashboard - but you know, it isn't about finding value. Its about others perception of value . So don't get too hung up on fundamentals.) . I also use tradingview because sharescope alone doesn't cover all global things

So perhaps knowledge of some charts which SR has access to is the key?

I hope I'm not misquoting you, SR!

Matt

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 10th, 2019, 12:22 pm

"However what if what I'm *assuming* is true, who would anyone know this? That is, most institutional trades are hidden from the public knowledge - aren't they?"

"So perhaps knowledge of some charts which SR has access to is the key?"

Yes you have summed it up well. Basically the charts you use and correct interpretation of those charts, tell you where institutions operated and are operating. Also tell you if they are buying, dumping etc.

You know its institutions, because retail and co can't create what we look for on a chart. Only a major institution or conglomerate of them can. Basically your filtering out the rest of the market, by only seeking what the majors can create.

Then even when you see a buy... you don't know their targets right? But where their positions are in the past give us a good idea. So if money starts bailing up there, time to exit. And so on and so on

Same for ETFs. Operate the same way now that they are preferred by many majors.

Individual stocks are for trading really. You know, 10-20% and out. Because fundamentally they carry the single biggest risk out there.

Investing you should be doing etfs. Currency hedged ones if need be.

At least if your in telecoms etf, turn on the morning news and Vodafone was sold for a £1, won't bother you too much. And looking at a lot of recent actions in markets, the diversified etf has produced much the same as any company return.

Where an etf suffers? So the sector is. But you should prefer to only need a sector rally rather than a specific company rally.
And you can make as much on etf trading or investing, than any stock Matt.

So research those first ... Only trade the stocks.

Why most fail with charts? They are watching to see a move or being given a dummy run. . Too late. Want to find them prepping for it.

Why most fail with fundamentals? They are not watching the money. So their opinion is based on what they see. Rather than what market is doing.

Anyway, take the best from both amd sorted.

Price can rise without institutions buying. Let's take Vodafone

Why did it ralky 123p if its really a bear? Because the funds stop shorting, pay some of the premium to the loaners. They then dump the stock on the 10% rise (the high buy victims) and normality resumes again. Shorters borrow more

Simple version but you get the gist.

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 10th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Btw some people think i do be lecturing or whatever. One here even questioned why I thought i was smarter than others.

First off, I have seen markets absolutely crush some of the most intelligent people in the world. I'm sure there are many here, highly intelligent in the real world.

But the markets aint real.. just smoke and mirrors.

And all I do is make points.

In the real world, 80% are probably of a higher IQ than myself

But in markets world?..... my IQ exceeds most

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » July 10th, 2019, 1:21 pm

SentimentRules wrote:Btw some people think i do be lecturing or whatever. One here even questioned why I thought i was smarter than others.

First off, I have seen markets absolutely crush some of the most intelligent people in the world. I'm sure there are many here, highly intelligent in the real world.

But the markets aint real.. just smoke and mirrors.

And all I do is make points.

In the real world, 80% are probably of a higher IQ than myself

But in markets world?..... my IQ exceeds most

I've not read your latest. Will later. I'm a bit busy presently.

I wouldn't worry if others question your integrity/intelligence etc. How cares? The internet is a place for freedom of views to be shared. No one is forcing people to listen if they don't want to.

Matt

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 10th, 2019, 1:29 pm

It's not the questioning . They always somehow manage to get me banned. Haha

paullidd
2 Lemon pips

Postby paullidd » July 10th, 2019, 2:25 pm

I'm not sure how anybody else can get you banned. Surely it is only down to what you have posted.

viewtopic.php?p=235417#p235417

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 10th, 2019, 2:34 pm

paullidd wrote:I'm not sure how anybody else can get you banned. Surely it is only down to what you have posted.

That’s the specific Rules for “Polite Discussions”.

The more general TLF Rules are here app.php/rules

I’m sure SentimentRules will be fine on Other Investing. It was the prior scattergun approach that may not have been welcome.

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 10th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Tell you what il do. Jack, you join it too. Because i do a fair bit on the ftse like yourself. Same with gold, crude and gbpusd

Il create private groupings in a Twitter account.

One section will be chart settings etc. Another section will be strategies laid out. Another the fundamental layout. Everything I do will be there. You guys add to it what you will.

Then some more private groups.:

Hard commodities
Soft commodities
Indices
Fx majors
Sectors
Stocks and Shares
Etf' s

All these groups will be valid whether you buy the physical shares or spread, cfd whatever.

So we wont use it for chatting. Use this forum for that.

Benefit to me.... well if i know a few of you enter markets based on similar things to me... Then it's a heads up for me on what I would deem valid participation. We all get that benefit.

And using twitter, I'm not sharing it with all the kn*bs around the forums.

So if up for that let me know. Il set it up

Otherwise here I'm just sharing what nobody else would touch. Shorts and sweat producing stocks looool

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 10th, 2019, 2:57 pm

paullidd wrote:I'm not sure how anybody else can get you banned. Surely it is only down to what you have posted.

Only occurs when I'm negative on a stock. Never when bullish.

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 10th, 2019, 3:14 pm

And to keep it right.. . Will only allow anyone to join who has been a member the date i joined this forum. Keeps the plethora of idiots out from around the other ones

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 10th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Il set up a group for HYP too. Show tout guys how its really managed. Il do that for 6 months. Run my portfolio broker screen shots and adjustments etc. Only for six months though because bores me to death. Then you'll know how to really hunt down total returns and protect your cap. A lesson in :

Locking down forward year income via capital whilst also getting your standard income.

Basically means, if capital protection ever closed out, next years income is sorted too. Gives you lots of time to carefully select the next for the basket. And you can go to bed every night not worrying about bad company news and announcements loool

Be fun.

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 10th, 2019, 3:44 pm

The income funds got a near ten year ride out of Vodafone. A highly transacted zone of around the 142 mark in 2010 I think . Think they let price fall below capital input average? No chance. When price is coming back there, gotta be due to fundamental changes in company or sector.

Thanks for the ten year ride Vodafone.. .now we will dump stock on the unfortunate before you cut div. . Lock in next years income via that stock dump on retail and minion funds. .

Goes a lot deeper but you get the gist.

..... price back to input is normally a massive sign of weakness. Adjust portfolio.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » July 10th, 2019, 4:32 pm

SentimentRules wrote:It's not the questioning . They always somehow manage to get me banned. Haha
If you stay polite and, importantly, on topic, for the board you are posting on then hopefully you wont get banned from here.

Whilst we are at it maybe you could use this thread to explain in clear speech (i.e. without jargon) what your investment style actually is, I'm sure there will be interested readers. I must admit to have been a bit overwhelmed by your output!

Regards,
Chris

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Postby SentimentRules » July 10th, 2019, 4:41 pm

My approach is very straight forward. I seek to buy (or short) at an optimal time so that I can get 10-20% capital return from a stock. Hoping that timing lets this occur within a few days to possibly 8 weeks. Close it and look for same again.

Most stocks dont return much more after that spurt for a fairly long prriod. So i dont bother even assessing at that point. Dead capital. I'm out. That sums up stocks for me. A bit different for commodities, forex, indices etc.

I hwve no issues with income investing too. But only if you time as I do above... Lock down the yield via capital. And hold it for as long as the market let's you for income.with risk off capital and the forward year income of course. I dont bother with this but valid anyway. Income without capital risk is ok.

Many strategies employed to the above. Example one but could be because i see something a few weeks before a company date. Or see something occur in the sector. Etc.

And that's jt really. Simple enough.

Return to “Other Investing”