Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

SentimentRules Investing

Any other investment discussions eg. peer to peer lending
SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

The Timing of Fundamental Executions

Postby SentimentRules » July 19th, 2019, 1:37 pm

No interest in talking to myself here. If somebody brings up a stock let's look at both reasonings.

If anyone has a fundamental reason to buy something bring it to this thread. Let's combine it with technical and have a look at best timing to execute for true value. Be a bit of fun if nothing else.

SentimentRules
Lemon Slice

Re: The Timing of Fundamental Executions

Postby SentimentRules » July 19th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Kier group.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded to read in other forums, investors buying this. In July to date, this stock is currently showing as the highest increase in short positions. Up 2.32% so far, aggregate 11.95% .

Any price rise now a shorters dream.

And yet they somehow managed to find fundamentals to justify a buy over the last 5-10 days

I just cant comprehend the thinking. But i write it here now because if it does rally 20% I want to remind myself to look back and wonder why it didn't drop another 20% as I expect initially from today's price 're 76p

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Last Call - Shorting

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 19th, 2019, 6:37 pm

simoan wrote:Can I please ask what this thread is doing in "Share Ideas"? It is not about a specific company at all. Please could this be moved to some more appropriate forum, preferably the far reaches of outer space... Si

Hi simoan,

May I apologise please. I am probably partly guilty of spoiling your enjoyment of TLF and that's not why I am here. I responded to the op without really looking at where the thread had been started. I am a little lazy in that aspect and will endeavour in future to think more about where posts belong.

Again my sincere apologies

All the best

AiY

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 19th, 2019, 7:25 pm

I'll be surprised if it survives.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » July 19th, 2019, 7:41 pm

This sounds like a possible short term trading opportunity, not an investment strategy.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » July 23rd, 2019, 6:22 am

SentimentRules wrote:A lot of people don't like discussing shorts on other forums. To be honest I've been banned for it. But I think the reason is that those forums were also brokers. Most people buy so I guess they feel it can affect transactions. I think this forum will have no bias.

I'm not sure why most don't like shorting discussions. When I'm bullish, it's the shorter money I want to be tracking.

Anyway, I thought I'd dedicate a thread to shorting if anyone fancies it. It should interest bulls too. Afterall shorters and pessimistic bulls create the low buy value... just as bulls create the high short value.

Bulls and bears are best friends in the city. Scratch each other's backs. Retail should be same really.

If anyone wants to discuss a short or where buy value may be in a shorting stock, I'm up for the debate here.

Would you short Marshalls Plc (MSLH) ?

If so, feel free to tell me why here.

Matt

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: SentimentRules Investing

Postby PinkDalek » July 23rd, 2019, 8:24 am

You may need to ask SR at ADVFN, where he is presently active.

Clicking on his username here shows:

The requested user does not exist.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » July 23rd, 2019, 1:29 pm

PinkDalek wrote:You may need to ask SR at ADVFN, where he is presently active.

Clicking on his username here shows:

The requested user does not exist.

:lol:

Ha! I'm not that interested to be honest. They (MSLH) don't have any shares out short, and was in the middle of doing a catch up on them. I thought asking him on this own thread would be harmless enough.

Matt

Walrus101
Lemon Pip

Postby Walrus101 » August 1st, 2019, 9:26 am

SentimentRules wrote:Shorted Vodafone around 134p.

Thankfully we got a bit of a rise. As a continous drop would have forced me out the day before results.

Instead I can hopefully add to short but need it above 130p for that. Dunno if will get to do it. I hope so. Shorters back in at the 50 already today so maybe not. .

The muted market response on the liberty deal and imminent results I hope is acting as a pre warning to many LTHs.

Anyway summary. A rise into results of 130 + .... short written all over the results .

120p before results? Il have to take it. Be another dead cat bounce in it. Will wait and use that for new short.

Nothing new in this sector since it started collapsing last year. Shorters paradise guys. Sub 100 imo regardless

When you look at most investors there is common ground amongst them. They look at momentum , sentiment and value. Well lets put that in order .

Value Momentum Sentiment.

But they give sentiment least weighting. They only see it as a driver back to their value and momentum analysis. .

Would it shock you if i say 'sentiment half the time, changes value and momentum'? .
Seems highly overlooked. Anyway there you go.

This must be hurting. I presume you closed your short on the gap up. Presumably the institutional flows being exhibited are the exact opposite of what you are expecting

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 1st, 2019, 10:14 am

Walrus101 wrote:This must be hurting. I presume you closed your short on the gap up. Presumably the institutional flows being exhibited are the exact opposite of what you are expecting

See viewtopic.php?p=238584#p238584

Walrus101
Lemon Pip

Postby Walrus101 » August 1st, 2019, 12:28 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Walrus101 wrote:This must be hurting. I presume you closed your short on the gap up. Presumably the institutional flows being exhibited are the exact opposite of what you are expecting

Thanks, that's a shame, some of what he said was quite interesting, just in terms of seeing the opposite view. I'm also quite interested in the thoughts around institutional flows of capital and how you can follow that.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » August 1st, 2019, 5:36 pm

Walrus101 wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

Thanks, that's a shame, some of what he said was quite interesting, just in terms of seeing the opposite view. I'm also quite interested in the thoughts around institutional flows of capital and how you can follow that.

Me too. But whenever I pressed him to back up his statements, e.g. with some charts he was never forthcoming.

It would have been great to see all those "fat candlesticks" in action. :lol:

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » August 1st, 2019, 5:46 pm

He didn't strike me as being real. (In the sense of someone who actually did what he claimed to do).

PMTI

Postby PMTI » August 9th, 2019, 4:16 pm

SentimentRules wrote:Kier group.

I just cant comprehend the thinking. But i write it here now because if it does rally 20% I want to remind myself to look back and wonder why it didn't drop another 20% as I expect initially from today's price 're 76p

Well, it dropped to about 62p by the end of July but after revealing "significant interest" in its plan to sell its housing business, appointment of '"revered" financial officer Simon Kesterton saw a ~30% rise from that point, and a near 20% rise today sees the share price around 100p at time of writing.

....Although I'm scratching my head to see why it jumper 20% today? Answers on a post card, please.

Return to “Other Investing”