Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

AIC Income Builder - Free Virtual Portfolio Tool

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Steve1982

Re: AIC Income Builder - Free Virtual Portfolio Tool

Postby Steve1982 » November 11th, 2019, 12:03 pm

puffster wrote:FWIW this is working correctly for me.

Hmmmm. Definitely not working here - Chrome browser on Windows10. I logged out & back into the AIC site, but that didn't affect things.

The link to "undefined" is shown in the status bar link popup as I move the mouse over the IT names, and if I click I get a "page not found" page.

I saw this a week or so ago, and hoped it was temporary, but its still there now.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » November 11th, 2019, 12:53 pm

I have the same problem. Created new portfolio and added back in DIG and it has the same problem. Have reported it.

Windows 10, Firefox

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » November 11th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Gents, can you try again now? The developers think they have made a fix on this.

We changed all the identifiers of all our companies due to change in delivery mechanism and there were some errant links. Apparently once they have been fixed once they should not reappear. Thanks for notifying us and apologies for inconvenience.

Steve1982

Postby Steve1982 » November 11th, 2019, 1:43 pm

It all works for me now. Many thanks.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » November 11th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Works fine for me now.

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » November 11th, 2019, 3:28 pm

It always beats me why all the tech companies using stock quotes end up with a magic identifier for stocks, when there's (at least) SEDOL and ISIN already there waiting to be used!

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 11th, 2019, 4:00 pm

gbjbaanb wrote:It always beats me why all the tech companies using stock quotes end up with a magic identifier for stocks, when there's (at least) SEDOL and ISIN already there waiting to be used!

I suspect it may be to prevent scraping of data from their web pages, or at least make it a painful process.

--kiloran

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » November 11th, 2019, 5:03 pm

gbjbaanb wrote:It always beats me why all the tech companies using stock quotes end up with a magic identifier for stocks, when there's (at least) SEDOL and ISIN already there waiting to be used!

Because then the data provider/tech company has full and proprietary ownership of the identification data point without being beholden to the owners of the "standard" identifiers who may then impose prohibitive terms or costs on the usage of them. Also the ISIN creators may not even have such IDs for all the security types that the company is interested in (private portfolios for example). They can also build all their internal systems in a consistent way to power industry solutions.

By way of example the code that Morningstar assign to this fund (at the end) https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/0P00008ZPP will always be the same number of characters if it is a UK Stock or a Mongolian unlisted fund or Australian LIC etc. Then local identifiers or codes can be sourced/displayed separately depending on the use case.

In simple terms it is essential to have a coding system to create a global database that can service 100 products (terminals/web feeds etc) for 460,000 securities over dozens of structures (Private securities, OE, CEF, Equity, ETF, Fixed Income, S/Ps etc).

Also it allows a security to be set up on a providers database pre-launch. You do not want to be waiting for a code to be announced if a client is expecting to see the rest of the data for the security at 7am on day one.

Probably a few more reasons that database architects far smarter than me could point to!

everhopeful
2 Lemon pips

Postby everhopeful » December 19th, 2019, 2:05 pm

David. I wonder if you could look into the fact that it is not possible to add the new Octopus Renewables Infrastructure trust (ORIT) to one's Income Builder portfolio at the moment even though details are available elsewhere on the AIC site. Thanks.

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » December 19th, 2019, 3:00 pm

everhopeful wrote:David. I wonder if you could look into the fact that it is not possible to add the new Octopus Renewables Infrastructure trust (ORIT) to one's Income Builder portfolio at the moment even though details are available elsewhere on the AIC site. Thanks.

Thanks. The reason it is not available is the income finder only allows for those with a positive yield. This has no yield on the fund overview page so is not selectable.

Looking at the prospectus they are targeting an annualised yield of 3% on the opening price (see below). So i have asked our data provider Morningstar to update their systems accordingly.

"The Company is targeting a net total Shareholder return of 7% to 8% per annum over the medium to long term, with an initial annualised dividend yield of 3% by reference to the Issue Price in respect of the financial period from First Admission to 31 December 2020, rising to 5% in FY2021 and progressive thereafter, with dividends paid quarterly"

everhopeful
2 Lemon pips

Postby everhopeful » December 19th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Many thanks David.

Rituximan

Postby Rituximan » December 19th, 2019, 11:13 pm

It is a useful tool. I am going to switch my personal pension to a SIPP early next year and will probably invest the majority of it in a basket of ITs, and it it is useful to be able to create various model portfolios and gain a rough idea of the income that might be generated. It would be useful if there was an option to take into account the ongoing charge when displaying the amount of income received - or include the ongoing charge in the csv file created when you click on Export current portfolio. The ongoing charge can have quite a significant effect on income and the information is there in Find and compare investment companies under Data points. I end up creating spreadsheets from the AIC equity sectors using IItsallaguess' method viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19097 and then copying over the company data that I want to build a spreadsheet portfolio that matches the Income Builder portfolio that I have created.

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » December 20th, 2019, 10:01 am

Sorry! We don't have the licence to allow exporting of that data point. The only downloads on our site are our own publications such as the industry overview or "Monthly Information Release" or the very small portion on the Income Finder which we are allowed to permit downloading as it is what the data providers refer to as "derived data" ie. it has been watered down through calculation so the raw data is hard to see.

Rules is rules!

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » December 20th, 2019, 1:23 pm

everhopeful wrote:David. I wonder if you could look into the fact that it is not possible to add the new Octopus Renewables Infrastructure trust (ORIT) to one's Income Builder portfolio at the moment even though details are available elsewhere on the AIC site. Thanks.

Unfortunately Morningstar have informed me that until this has announced its first dividend they cannot put an estimate in due to a system limitation. I am seeing if anything can be done about it but this may not be a quick fix. :cry:

ffacoffipawb64
Lemon Pip

Postby ffacoffipawb64 » December 20th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Rituximan wrote:It is a useful tool. I am going to switch my personal pension to a SIPP early next year and will probably invest the majority of it in a basket of ITs, and it it is useful to be able to create various model portfolios and gain a rough idea of the income that might be generated. It would be useful if there was an option to take into account the ongoing charge when displaying the amount of income received - or include the ongoing charge in the csv file created when you click on Export current portfolio. The ongoing charge can have quite a significant effect on income and the information is there in Find and compare investment companies under Data points. I end up creating spreadsheets from the AIC equity sectors using IItsallaguess' method viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19097 and then copying over the company data that I want to build a spreadsheet portfolio that matches the Income Builder portfolio that I have created.

The income received is net of any charges from investment trusts so I dont see what the issue is here.

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » January 6th, 2020, 10:45 am

This is now available for selection :)

everhopeful
2 Lemon pips

Postby everhopeful » January 6th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Many thanks David. I wish my broker responded so helpfully.

dmukgr

Postby dmukgr » January 14th, 2020, 3:25 pm

I wonder if it would be easy (and worthwhile) to add an x-ray style facility so you could see which companies and countries a portfolio comprises of?

Apologies if I sound like I'm ungrateful for the tool as it is and demanding changes - it is just something additional that I think I would benefit from :D

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » January 14th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Definitely far far from being "easy" I am afraid. And there is a danger of us turning in to a data company - which we are not! I am afraid you are going to have to rely on FE and Morningstar for portfolio analysis such as this. It is only where we would get the data from anyway :)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 14th, 2020, 4:46 pm

dmukgr wrote:I wonder if it would be easy (and worthwhile) to add an x-ray style facility so you could see which companies and countries a portfolio comprises of?

Apologies if I sound like I'm ungrateful for the tool as it is and demanding changes - it is just something additional that I think I would benefit from :D

Try this, enter the ITs by "ticker" name and either enter the % or the sum of monies invested. Limitations being up to 7 ITs screened at a time.

http://tools.morningstar.co.uk/uk/xray/ ... geId=en-GB

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”