Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Chess

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Chess

Postby cinelli » December 4th, 2019, 12:03 pm

I think it is high time we had another chess puzzle.

.  --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
8 | | | | R | | | | R |
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
7 | | | p | | B | | | |
6 | | p | P | | | | p | |
5 | | P | | | | | | |
4 | | | | | | | p | |
3 | | p | k | | | | P | |
2 | | p | | | B | | | |
1 | | K | | | | | | |
a b c d e f g h

In this problem, white, shown here as red, is to move and mate in three moves. The challenge is to find the single forced sequence which solves the puzzle.

Cinelli

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Re: Chess

Postby CryptoPlankton » December 5th, 2019, 11:09 am

This seems a lot easier than the last one, but I might be missing something obvious like I did with my first attempt last time!

Spoiler:

1. Rd3 Kc4
2. Rhd8 g5
3. R8d4#

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 5th, 2019, 11:56 am

CryptoPlankton wrote:This seems a lot easier than the last one, but I might be missing something obvious like I did with my first attempt last time!

Spoiler:

1. Rd3 Kc4
2. Rhd8 g5 <--- the king can take on b5 instead
3. R8d4# <--- here too.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » December 5th, 2019, 12:22 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote:This seems a lot easier than the last one, but I might be missing something obvious like I did with my first attempt last time!

Spoiler:

1. Rd3 Kc4
2. Rhd8 g5 <--- the king can take on b5 instead
3. R8d4# <--- here too.

Excellent, will take another look later (I'm so careless - knew it couldn't be that easy!)

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » December 8th, 2019, 12:56 am

cinelli wrote:I think it is high time we had another chess puzzle.

.  --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
8 | | | | R | | | | R |
7 | | | p | | B | | | |
6 | | p | P | | | | p | |
5 | | P | | | | | | |
4 | | | | | | | p | |
3 | | p | k | | | | P | |
2 | | p | | | B | | | |
1 | | K | | | | | | |
a b c d e f g h

In this problem, white, shown here as red, is to move and mate in three moves. The challenge is to find the single forced sequence which solves the puzzle.

Cinelli

Hmm, have had a bit more time to look and this seems a bit of a strange challenge as there is a fairly obvious mate in two moves - not giving a lot of incentive to look for one in three! Still, if the position is correct then I guess there must be a solution - no luck so far...

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » December 8th, 2019, 1:54 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:

Cinelli

Hmm, have had a bit more time to look and this seems a bit of a strange challenge as there is a fairly obvious mate in two moves - not giving a lot of incentive to look for one in three! Still, if the position is correct then I guess there must be a solution - no luck so far...

If there is only a single forced sequence in three moves, then isn't the most likely explanation that you made a mistake? Why not post your two move solution?

GS

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » December 9th, 2019, 12:37 am

GoSeigen wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote:

Cinelli

If there is only a single forced sequence in three moves, then isn't the most likely explanation that you made a mistake? Why not post your two move solution?

GS

Not quite sure what you mean - are you saying it's a mistake to say I haven't found the solution?! :?

Anyway, I am prone to mistakes, but I believe the two move solution is (spoiler):

1. Rh1 g5
2. Rc1#

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2019, 6:41 am

CryptoPlankton wrote:
1. Rh1 g5
2. Rc1# <--- b2 x c1

That great column of pawns is one of the things that distinguishes a fiendishly-contrived problem from anything like an actual game.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » December 9th, 2019, 8:25 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote:
1. Rh1 g5
2. Rc1# <--- b2 x c1

That great column of pawns is one of the things that distinguishes a fiendishly-contrived problem from anything like an actual game.

Oh dear, I'm seriously starting to think I might be showing signs of early onset - both parents had dementia (the old man's first giveaway was starting to struggle with cryptic crosswords).

Time for me to bow out before I embarrass myself further! :(

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2019, 8:49 am

CryptoPlankton wrote:Time for me to bow out before I embarrass myself further! :(

You'll notice I (and, it seems, other regulars on this board) have already bowed out. You were last-manorganism-standing.

Are you by any chance accustomed to problems that are made easier to visualise by showing the black and white squares and pieces? I find the two bishops in this one quite confusing in the absence of their respective colours, and of course the pawns confuse through sheer implausibility!

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » December 9th, 2019, 9:15 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote:Time for me to bow out before I embarrass myself further! :(

You'll notice I (and, it seems, other regulars on this board) have already bowed out. You were last-manorganism-standing.

Are you by any chance accustomed to problems that are made easier to visualise by showing the black and white squares and pieces? I find the two bishops in this one quite confusing in the absence of their respective colours, and of course the pawns confuse through sheer implausibility!

You are kind to offer me that "out", but I can't hide behind that as an excuse for these repeated mental blind spots. I am genuinely concerned. Anyway, I hope someone comes up with the solution soon as I am in danger of getting a little obsessed with it now (another potential symptom!).

All the best.

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » December 9th, 2019, 11:16 am

CryptoPlankton wrote:Anyway, I hope someone comes up with the solution soon as I am in danger of getting a little obsessed with it now (another potential symptom!).

When CryptoPlankton wrote that he had found a mate in two, I feared that I had set up the board incorrectly. But I hope I haven't made a mistake. I think I had better say that I will give the solution on Wednesday then move on to something else.

Wouldn't it be marvellous if Magnus Carlsen joined the LemonFool?

Cinelli

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » December 9th, 2019, 12:31 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

You are kind to offer me that "out", but I can't hide behind that as an excuse for these repeated mental blind spots. I am genuinely concerned. Anyway, I hope someone comes up with the solution soon as I am in danger of getting a little obsessed with it now (another potential symptom!).

All the best.

Like Uncle, I also have not put my mind properly to the solution. but also could not find any two-move mate, let alone an obvious one!

I think this can be classified as a difficult puzzle given the four white pieces with wide latitude of movement and the fact that the black king pretty much has to move and can go to a number of squares. No shame in missing the answer IMO.

At some point I'll lay out the board and have a proper go. The lack of coloured squares does make the ASCII version harder.

GS

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » December 9th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Okay, I couldn't let it go - I don't trust my mind any more so if it's wrong please just shoot me and put me out of my misery...

Spoiler:

1. Rhe8 g5
2. Rd2 Kxd2
3. Bb4#

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » December 9th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Reply to spoiler:

Hurray! CP's perseverance has paid off. The first rook move covers the escape square e3. Congratulations.

Cinelli

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 9th, 2019, 7:44 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

https://lichess.org/editor/3R3R/2p1B3/1pP3p1/1P6/6p1/1pk3P1/1p2B3/1K6_w_-_-_0_1

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » December 13th, 2019, 8:57 pm

I forgot to give due credit to the creator of this problem. It was by Fritz Giegold.

Incidentally there was a short article in the Guardian the other day about Magnus Carlsen, the current world chess champion. Apparently he is one of those people who excel at more than one activity. For the past few years he has done very well in fantasy football.

Cinelli

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 13th, 2019, 9:05 pm

cinelli wrote:Incidentally there was a short article in the Guardian the other day about Magnus Carlsen, the current world chess champion. Apparently he is one of those people who excel at more than one activity. For the past few years he has done very well in fantasy football.

Indeed. The leading British amateur player (and Grandmaster), Luke McShane, is also a successful City trader and investor. I think there are definite similarities in the skills involved. In chess, you think "If he does that, I do this". Responding to different scenarios is an important skill in trading as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_McShane

As an aside, the ability to solve chess problems is not directly related to being a good chess player. There are obvious similarities but the skill set is also different. For instance some puzzles involve positions that could never happen in a real game. And few good players would waste time looking for a clever mate when they can win by merely swapping off material at a lower risk.

I say that as someone who was a bit of a chess prodigy as a child but could never get the hang of puzzles. I haven't played a serious game since 1982 when I played in the London league for Wood Green.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » January 27th, 2020, 2:23 pm

I think it is time for thousands of chess problems:

https://lichess.org/training/98143

I have used ChessTempo in the past, but I have never really been a ChessTempoet. Emerald seems to have shuffled off this mortal coil. Lichess seems to be better to me. I like the board, and I like to be able to pause for breath between problems.

Return to “Games, Puzzles and Riddles”