Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Sausages and bacon

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Sausages and bacon

Postby Nimrod103 » December 20th, 2019, 11:31 am

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/201 ... may-wrong/

The main point of this article is the claim that British sausages don't contain nitrites (which are alleged to be carcinogenic). Whereas foreign sourced salamis, chorizo etc do contain nitrites. Is this actually true, so that I can eat British sausages without fear, and does it also apply to British bacon?

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Sausages and bacon

Postby didds » December 20th, 2019, 12:38 pm

I'd be surprised if bacon doesnty contain them. Ironically the cheaper the bacon the less likely maybe as they may be using colouring and flavouring to aceheive what they want, rather5 than saltpetre and the like

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » December 20th, 2019, 12:41 pm

a quick google for a UK sausage recipe http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/33511/ho ... sages.aspx indicates that there are no nitrites in that (unless salt counts somehow ?) . that isnt to say that a packet of supermarket own brand doesnt - the list of ingredients is probably a better guyide. If buying from a butchers etc then asking will provide an answer hopefully.

The likes of chorizo etc are cured sausage wheras "Uk sausages" are more a flavoured hot meat dish (CF german bratwurst also etc). So whilst they both share the description "sausage" they are actually two different things.

didds

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 20th, 2019, 1:26 pm

I make my own bacon/ham and sausages - the British ones not the cured continental types. The sausages don't need nitrates, they're a "fresh" food product. I freeze mine. Nitrates/ites preserve the meat and keep the pink colour for the meat. My bacon and other cured meats I use nitrates as they are the preservatives that'll stop the botulism etc. I'll take my chances with increasing the risk of cancer to dodge the poison and rancid meat.
The Grocer had a report on UK sausages
I'm keen to try chorizo/salami making but I don't have the set up. The reading does say to be careful in controlling temperature, humidity, moulds cleanliness etc, I think the best way is to build a curing chamber with humidity and temperature control.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 20th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Yes to what kemplejohn said.

British sausages are just basically minced pork in a skin with whatever herbs, seasonings and fillers have been added.

Continental sausages like salamis have nitrites to preserve them so that is why you see them hanging up in delis for months at ambient temperatures.

Bacon and hams generally contain nitrites but nitrite free versions are available.

John

Return to “Food”