Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Jerez or Cadiz in February?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Jerez or Cadiz in February?

Postby Clariman » January 12th, 2020, 8:22 pm

We've had some lovely short holidays in the last few years taking in various combinations of Malaga/Seville/Cordoba/Granada and really enjoyed them. We can get flights to Seville now, so are thinking of doing Seville for a few days followed by Cadiz or Jerez (or maybe both). We like wandering around old towns, getting a bit of culture, soaking up the atmosphere, learning a bit about the history, having some nice food and drink etc. Which would you pick between Cadiz and Jerez? We'll probably be away for 7 or 8 days, so don't want to spend all the time travelling between them.

Thanks
C

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Jerez or Cadiz in February?

Postby swill453 » January 12th, 2020, 8:37 pm

We spent some time on the Costa de la Luz in February a couple of years ago. Both are interesting, Jerez attractions are mainly based on the sherry industry. It was the one place in Spain we've stumbled across a real Flamenco back street bar though.

Cadiz on balance probably has a bit more to see in terms of history and culture, and also it's by the sea. If the timing is right do go when the Festival is on, seems to be the weekend starting 20 February this year. It was fantastic, floats of singing groups in fancy dress, loads of locals enjoying themselves. Street food, drink etc. Bit of a culture shock seeing so many people necking sherry straight from the bottle, not as seedy as it sounds.

Scott.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » January 12th, 2020, 8:38 pm

I visited both in one trip, and liked both more than Seville Cadiz has more history, and very pleasant walking the island. Jerez has the sherry bodegas (meh) and a great Moorish palace and the Riding School show is fun. Its only 35 min on train between them, so you could do Cadiz as a daytrip from Jerez.

The flamenco centre in Jerez is not up to much, loads of museums in Cadiz

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 12th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Thanks both. I've just read about the Cadiz Carnival and the Jerez Flamenco Festival. Unfortunately we'd miss both by a few days. I think we got a taste of the carnival in Cordoba a few years ago when we came across Chirigota groups parading through the town singing. Maybe we could do both easily enough.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 12th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Clariman wrote:We've had some lovely short holidays in the last few years taking in various combinations of Malaga/Seville/Cordoba/Granada and really enjoyed them. We can get flights to Seville now, so are thinking of doing Seville for a few days followed by Cadiz or Jerez (or maybe both). We like wandering around old towns, getting a bit of culture, soaking up the atmosphere, learning a bit about the history, having some nice food and drink etc. Which would you pick between Cadiz and Jerez? We'll probably be away for 7 or 8 days, so don't want to spend all the time travelling between them.

Thanks
C

Hmmm ... (my bad :lol: )

We're going to Malaga at Easter. Never done either Cadiz or Jerez. From what little I've read Cadiz sounds more in tune with your "wandering" natures.

AiYn'U

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » January 13th, 2020, 11:16 am

I did something similar to what you are proposing last September. Flew to Seville, stayed there for a few days then took the train to Cadiz (very good train service) for a few days, then hired a car and went along the Costa de Luz. Did not visit Jerez. I liked Cadiz a lot and would visit again. The historical area of Cadiz is on a peninsula and is fairly compact, but plenty to look at. I think it would provide what you are looking for. Stayed at Casa Patio del Panadero in Cadiz, would stay there again.

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » January 13th, 2020, 11:25 am

Are you going to Malaga during Holy Week?

Just before can also be a unique experience as you see the preparations for Holy Week itself and particularly, the Brotherhoods (a lot are more like our Guilds rather than purely religious), as they prepare their thrones for their annual outing in processions and displays.

Search for "Tronos de Semana Santa" if the above means nothing to you. The Malaga ones are huge, often requiring manpower in three figures!

Regards,
ep

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 13th, 2020, 11:42 am

eepee wrote:Are you going to Malaga during Holy Week?

Just before can also be a unique experience as you see the preparations for Holy Week itself and particularly, the Brotherhoods (a lot are more like our Guilds rather than purely religious), as they prepare their thrones for their annual outing in processions and displays.

We probably won't go to Malaga on this trip but we did see an incredible procession there a year or two ago, where a religious figure was carried by about 3 dozen strong women. It was quite a spectacle.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 13th, 2020, 6:29 pm

eepee wrote:Are you going to Malaga during Holy Week?

Search for "Tronos de Semana Santa" if the above means nothing to you. The Malaga ones are huge, often requiring manpower in three figures!

Regards,
ep

My daughter asked if we would be there when they do the procession, but I haven't checked yet.

I'll have to buck my ideas up :roll:

AiYn'U

Return to “Airport Lounge”