Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Floor tile removal

Does what it says on the tin
NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Floor tile removal

Postby NapoleonD » January 13th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Hello Fools

I am in the process of removing a downstairs bathroom from a room that was part of a garage conversion (no big loss, there is another downstairs loo). I've stripped the wall tiles, taken down the false ceiling and knocked down the partition wall ready for new plasterboard to be attached on the walls and ceiling. But the floor tiles are causing endless grief.

It appears that the tile is bonded via tile cement to another tile, bonded with tile cement to a scree layer which in turn is bonded with some mega-adhesive to the plywood floor. Attempts to knock the tiles off with a lump hammer and bolster chisel are slow, only small pieces come away and it is tearing small chunks of the ply floor.

I'm not bothered about the ply at all, and have no issue replacing it, so, what would be the easiest way to remove it? Drill a series of holes through the tile/cement/ply and smash it through with the hammer, then locate the joists and pry it away with a wrecking bar? His seems the most obvious approach, just wondered if there is a better way? As it's a garage conversion, the joists are attached by brackets to upright posts bolted to the wall, so would clearly like to avoid snapping them off the bracket. It's a small area, maybe 3 feet by 6 to 7 feet?

TIA

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Floor tile removal

Postby staffordian » January 13th, 2020, 1:47 pm

I've seen several tradesmen removing ceramic tiles and the tool of choice seems to be an SDS drill with a chisel attachment.

This setup seems to work a treat, and it's possible to get cranked chisel attachments which help the tool to get under the tiles.

NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Postby NapoleonD » January 13th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Thanks Staffordian - I have a B&D hammer drill, is this the same thing? THough I don't recall seeing a 'button' on it that stops the rotation of the drill?

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 13th, 2020, 4:35 pm

NapoleonD wrote:Thanks Staffordian - I have a B&D hammer drill, is this the same thing? THough I don't recall seeing a 'button' on it that stops the rotation of the drill?

You can tell by looking at the drills it takes. If it's SDS they will be like this...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-sds-pl ... eces/596fx

The shanks are different to 'old fashioned' drills.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 13th, 2020, 5:47 pm

You need a proper SDS drill. I'm very happy with my Titan from Screwfix https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb653 ... 240v/6846h

Have used it to destroy a reinforced concrete pizza oven in the garden.

You'd also need to get an angled chisel blade as mentioned.

Scott.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 13th, 2020, 6:28 pm

NapoleonD wrote:Thanks Staffordian - I have a B&D hammer drill, is this the same thing? THough I don't recall seeing a 'button' on it that stops the rotation of the drill?

A standard hammer drill will not have the ability to hammer without rotating, others have linked to the bit types SDS drills use.

It's one of those tools I've always hankered after but never actually needed, but Screwfix tools are generally well regarded, so the Titan linked to might well be a toy worth acquiring :)

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 14th, 2020, 9:42 am

Other than the Titan drills you may find what you need at Aldi or Lidl, they do have SDS drills from time to time. They are cheap and cheerful but do get the job done. Not what you want if you are going to use it a lot but they do have a 3 year guarantee so would at least see you through this job.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » January 14th, 2020, 10:05 am

Can't you ply over the floor tiles?

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 14th, 2020, 12:45 pm

It might be easier to remove the ply starting with an area slightly bigger than the tiled area levering up sections using a hammer/crowbar. I'd definitely suggest wearing eye protection.

Ply board is quite cheap..

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » January 14th, 2020, 5:36 pm

monabri wrote:It might be easier to remove the ply starting with an area slightly bigger than the tiled area levering up sections using a hammer/crowbar. I'd definitely suggest wearing eye protection.

To be honest I very much doubt tryjng to lever ply covered in screed an two layers of tiles, potentially screwed down, will be easier than an SDS.

NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Postby NapoleonD » January 16th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Wizard wrote:
monabri wrote:It might be easier to remove the ply starting with an area slightly bigger than the tiled area levering up sections using a hammer/crowbar. I'd definitely suggest wearing eye protection.

To be honest I very much doubt tryjng to lever ply covered in screed an two layers of tiles, potentially screwed down, will be easier than an SDS.

It ended up being a best of both worlds in the end. Borrowed an SDS and chisel bit from a neighbour which tore through the tiles (easier than doing so with a lump hammer, but still takes some effort), but the ply was still a problem. In the end, after uncovering some of the ply, just wedged the crowbar under the sheeting and attempted to level sections off. Most were brittle and just broke away in palm size pieces but managed to pry up some larger sections, to reveal the layers as:
    tile
    tile cement
    tile
    tile cement
    scree
    bonding gloop
    thin ply sheet 1
    thin ply sheets 2 (in long narrow rectangular strips??)
    thin ply 3
    thick ply boards, the actual floor, which stayed in place

Just about broke my back doing it, but hard satisfying work. Beats IT anyday.

Thanks for all the tips, the room is on the way to being the twins playroom!

ND

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » January 16th, 2020, 12:51 pm

NapoleonD wrote:
Wizard wrote:

It ended up being a best of both worlds in the end. Borrowed an SDS and chisel bit from a neighbour which tore through the tiles (easier than doing so with a lump hammer, but still takes some effort), but the ply was still a problem. In the end, after uncovering some of the ply, just wedged the crowbar under the sheeting and attempted to level sections off. Most were brittle and just broke away in palm size pieces but managed to pry up some larger sections, to reveal the layers as:
    tile
    tile cement
    tile
    tile cement
    scree
    bonding gloop
    thin ply sheet 1
    thin ply sheets 2 (in long narrow rectangular strips??)
    thin ply 3
    thick ply boards, the actual floor, which stayed in place

Just about broke my back doing it, but hard satisfying work. Beats IT anyday.

Thanks for all the tips, the room is on the way to being the twins playroom!

ND

Sounds like you may have gained a couple of cms of extra headroom!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 16th, 2020, 2:28 pm

Mike88 wrote:Can't you ply over the floor tiles?

Yeah, I just laid a pergo floor over a tile floor in my basement. Tile floors are usually level and it only took me a day.

My neighbour has a petrol-driven angle grinder if I really wanted to excavate. I have to disconnect all the smoke and CO detectors first of course.

NapoleonD
2 Lemon pips

Postby NapoleonD » January 16th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Hi Lootman / Mike88

Lootman wrote:

Yeah, I just laid a pergo floor over a tile floor in my basement. Tile floors are usually level and it only took me a day.

My neighbour has a petrol-driven angle grinder if I really wanted to excavate. I have to disconnect all the smoke and CO detectors first of course.

This wasn't really an option - the floor where the bathroom was sloped into the middle for drainage from the shower, and the tiled bathroom floor was a cm or so higher than the laminate floor in the rest of the room once the stud wall came down. And getting the wall tiles off the wall where they met the floor only became possible once the floor was gone (though the workman could well be to blame here).

Next steps are stripping paper from the ceiling, putting up new plasterboard, plaster skim and the job in the world I despise above all others - painting the ubgger.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » January 16th, 2020, 5:36 pm

NapoleonD wrote:Hi Lootman / Mike88

Lootman wrote:

This wasn't really an option - the floor where the bathroom was sloped into the middle for drainage from the shower, and the tiled bathroom floor was a cm or so higher than the laminate floor in the rest of the room once the stud wall came down. And getting the wall tiles off the wall where they met the floor only became possible once the floor was gone (though the workman could well be to blame here).

Next steps are stripping paper from the ceiling, putting up new plasterboard, plaster skim and the job in the world I despise above all others - painting the ubgger.

Don't bother with stripping paper from the ceiling if you are overboarding it. Just overboard the lot, skim and the jobs done.

Return to “Building and DIY”