Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Linux portfolio manager

Discussions regarding financial software
JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Linux portfolio manager

Postby JohnB » January 19th, 2020, 1:58 pm

I've always managed my portfolio with a spreadsheet, but doing my tax return I realise its probably riddled with errors, which are just not easy to spot. So I'm looking for something with features.

1) Native Linux, not wine
2) No current account or spending trackers, or reconciliation where the money transfers come from
3) Automatic lookup of ETF and fund prices, and preferably dividends paid. Not bothered about individual shares.
4) NO integration with broker websites, I'll type in stuff myself.
5) Summary information I can type into a tax return, but no need to autocomplete or submit one.
6) Capital gains calculations, ideally for Acc units, with money going in and out.
7) Goes back 5-10 years (for those pesky capital gains)
8) Not to bothered about performance reports, its all too muddled for a clear picture anyway.
9) Understands that ISAs and SIPPS are tax free, but my unsheltered funds are not
10) 2 Brokers, 4 providers, foreign pension and some p2p.
11) Allows me to define custody and management fees for each investment
12) Free!

What would people suggest?

dave559
Lemon Pip

Re: Linux portfolio manager

Postby dave559 » January 19th, 2020, 9:53 pm

I have no idea whether GnuCash would meet your needs, but I think that it is reasonably extensible(?). I use it for tracking my account and fund transactions and balances, but nothing complex.

The Wikipedia page for GnuCash and the pages for related open source financial software applications listed in the footer of that page are probably a good place to start looking?

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Re: Linux portfolio manager

Postby JohnB » January 21st, 2020, 11:36 am

I've tried GnuCash twice now, and bounced off each time, as it feels that investments are a small part of a big endeavour. For example they seem to only have one broker, and I've got the same thing with multiple brokers, inside and out of SIPPs and ISAs.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”