Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

1917 - SPOILERS

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
didds
Lemon Half

1917 - SPOILERS

Postby didds » January 14th, 2020, 11:08 am

anyone seen it? thoughts?

7/10 for me, but mainly for the score, cinematography and technical bits. The storyline was a bit of a cross between Saving Private Ryan (SPR) and Gallipoli. and the plot holes a bit... iffy at times.

One plot extension query ... what may the two have been thinking they were going to do with the german pilot once they had potentially saved his life, given they still had a pre-eminent task to complete?

(I get this scene was a plot devcie to remove one of the characters, and underlined the humanity aspect of the film, and thaty schofield basically was trying to avoid killing anybody unless in defence of his own/chums life etc. Im just extending the scenario whereby having saved the pilot the story took a different turn)

didds

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Re: 1917 - SPOILERS

Postby MaraMan » January 14th, 2020, 3:47 pm

I thought it was a great film, really enjoyed it. One of the most realistic depictions of WW1 I can remember seeing. Roger Deakins cinematography was outstanding, I thought the music and general sound were also great, and the lead actor did really good job. I agree the story was a bit shaky occasionally, as you say the pilot scene grated, but I think that's the price you pay for such an energetic work that pleasingly was only two hours long, it could easily have become a baggy three + hours.
I think Sam Mendes has done a fine job and I would not be surprised if it picked up the Best Film gong at the oscars (and is a shoe-in for best cinematography), although of course Joker will be in the running. For me Mendes best work since Amercian Beauty.
8.5/10
MM

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 22nd, 2020, 4:44 pm

I was in London last week and splashed out to see it on one of the Imax screens in Leicester Square - paid more than twice as much as I've ever paid to go to the cinema.

Worth it though, a spectacular experience. Though I was a bit distracted noticing where they made the joins in the "single" take.

Scott.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » January 24th, 2020, 11:55 pm

iMax really is impressive. It blows away the naff 3D gimmick of traditional cinema.

My first film in iMax was The Fellowship of the Ring. There's a scene were it snows. I was suddenly shocked to realise I was holding out my hand trying to catch imaginary 3D snowflakes. Embarrassed, I looked around to see if anyone had noticed. Half the audience were holding out their hands trying to catch the snowflakes.

:lol:

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » January 25th, 2020, 11:37 am

Edge of the seat first half hour, aka 'shaving Ryan's private's' you could believe you were there, fabulous.

Then gaping plot holes and sentimentality, what a shame. Anticlimactic second half.

Terrific cinematography and story concluded in 2 hours, very much aided by decent cinema with good sound.
If you want to see it, go to the cinema,can't imagine it working on your TV.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » January 25th, 2020, 7:47 pm

6/10 for me. Tension-filled throughout, with lots of realistic individual bits, but as a credible sequence of events the whole thing was wildly implausible (a bit like Leonardo Di Caprio's endless calamities in Revenant). Probably about time we had another World War I film though to remind audiences about it all.

Opening starts with 2 volunteers meeting the general to be given their marching orders.

General "Look hyah, you men, one of our officers has got himself into a frightful muddle. He thinks he's got the hun on the run, but we've discovered it's just a cunning ruse by Jerry to lure him into a trap. If he attacks tomorrow, his 1,600 men will be slaughtered, oh, including your brother by the way. The Germans have cut the phone lines, so the only way to warn our plucky chaps is for the two of you to nip through no-mans land, a couple of front lines, and warn our officer to call off his attack."

Volunteers "Wouldn't it be simpler and better to send them a message via carrier pigeon?".

General "Where's the fun in that? No, no, it has to be you two. You are both unusually articulate and talkative for the times, and we expect you to make very poor decisions which land you in lots of jeopardy, but we're hoping the Germans shooting at you will be spectacularly bad shots. Some of your mission will take place at night, so do try to find light sources to be illuminated against so the enemy (and the audience) can see you at all times".

Volunteers "What about using our aircraft to drop them messages, or signal via morse code or ...."

General "I'm most disappointed in your attitude. Now jolly well get on with your mission of almost certain death. And by the way, watch out for raging rivers and huge waterfalls that often occur around flat farmland in these parts."

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”