Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Autoenrolement deductions

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Autoenrolement deductions

Postby vagrantbrain » January 27th, 2020, 7:59 pm

I've got a little problem with my employer and would appreciate any help or opinions

I'm paid weekly and have pension deductions taken through the autoenrolement scheme. Over xmas the payroll wasn't run for 2 weeks so we were paid 3 weeks wages on the first week back. In my payslip I have one weeks employees deductions, and therefore one weeks employers deductions, for the 3 week period. I've queried this and was simply told its correct with no further explanation. It doesn't sound correct to me as surely there should be 3 weeks worth of contributions from both myself and my employer? If so then what would stop an unscrupulous employer reducing their contributions by frequently "forgetting" to pay people and correcting it the next week/month..

Thanks

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Re: Autoenrolement deductions

Postby Loup321 » January 28th, 2020, 10:32 am

Aren't you and your employer each paying in a percentage? If you got three times as much pay, as it covered three weeks, the 2% (or whatever) will be three times as much. It would only appear as one line on your payslip though.

I'd query it again, if I were you. Find out what percentage you and your employer should each be paying (you should have some paperwork somewhere), check it against a "normal" pay period, and then check it against the three week pay period.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » January 28th, 2020, 10:56 am

Tread carefully - the most likely explanation is "payroll system cockup" rather than "conspiracy".
For example, the two weeks you missed may have been processed as back pay, but pension contributions may only be calculated on the "current pay period". (note - this is just an example, not an explanation!)

Or put another way the opening gambit should be "I think you've made a mistake" rather than "Why haven't you paid my pension contributions properly?"

You may also want to speak to your colleagues and ask whether their pension contributions have been messed up, so you can play the "it's not just me." card.

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Postby vagrantbrain » January 28th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Loup321 wrote:Aren't you and your employer each paying in a percentage? If you got three times as much pay, as it covered three weeks, the 2% (or whatever) will be three times as much. It would only appear as one line on your payslip though.

I'd query it again, if I were you. Find out what percentage you and your employer should each be paying (you should have some paperwork somewhere), check it against a "normal" pay period, and then check it against the three week pay period.

Unfortunately its an autoenrolement scheme so the contributions are limited to the first £932 per week, as I earn more than that on a basic week my employees contributions never go above £33 per week and the employers above £25. If they'd ran the payroll as normal then over the 3 week period I should have had £99 employees deductions and £75 employers, instead I've got £33 and £25. Obviously the missing employees contributions have just ended up in by bank rather than pension so no loss there, but the employers contributions are short.

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Postby vagrantbrain » January 28th, 2020, 7:08 pm

pochisoldi wrote:Tread carefully - the most likely explanation is "payroll system cockup" rather than "conspiracy".
For example, the two weeks you missed may have been processed as back pay, but pension contributions may only be calculated on the "current pay period". (note - this is just an example, not an explanation!)

Or put another way the opening gambit should be "I think you've made a mistake" rather than "Why haven't you paid my pension contributions properly?"

You may also want to speak to your colleagues and ask whether their pension contributions have been messed up, so you can play the "it's not just me." card.

That actually makes sense as the tax and NI were far too low for 120 hours in a single week - i'll put that too them and see what they say.

I'm a late starter here so i'm the only one who missed the final salary scheme closing date and ended up on on the autoenrolement scheme :cry:

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”