Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Would you like to make a donation to charity?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Would you like to make a donation to charity?

Postby Howyoudoin » February 13th, 2020, 10:33 pm

I’m in a pub at Trafalgar Square.

I know that prices are going to be crazy compared to elsewhere.

However, I wasn’t prepared for this.

Being old, I usually carry a little cash on me rather than a card. But I know that isn’t going to cut it tonight with the horrendous prices so decide to go the debit card route.

My round. 5 drinks, £40.

Yeah yeah, seen it before and it doesn’t surprise me anymore. Here’s my card.

Bartender brings the machine and I insert my card.

“How much of a gratuity would you like to leave?

0%

5%

10%

15%”

Eh? I just bought a drink at the bar. Where does the service change come in?

I selected 0%.

“Would you like to make a donation to charity today?

Y/N”

Ha ha. Seriously? I’m already smarting from having to pay £40 for 5 drinks but you want a service charge for serving me at the bar and a charity donation presumably because I’m just ecstatic with the place?

Either I’ve lost the plot or the World has.

HYD

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Would you like to make a donation to charity?

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 13th, 2020, 11:45 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:I’m in a pub at Trafalgar Square.

I know that prices are going to be crazy compared to elsewhere.

However, I wasn’t prepared for this.

Being old, I usually carry a little cash on me rather than a card. But I know that isn’t going to cut it tonight with the horrendous prices so decide to go the debit card route.

My round. 5 drinks, £40.

Yeah yeah, seen it before and it doesn’t surprise me anymore. Here’s my card.

Bartender brings the machine and I insert my card.

“How much of a gratuity would you like to leave?

0%

5%

10%

15%”

Eh? I just bought a drink at the bar. Where does the service change come in?

I selected 0%.

“Would you like to make a donation to charity today?

Y/N”

Ha ha. Seriously? I’m already smarting from having to pay £40 for 5 drinks but you want a service charge for serving me at the bar and a charity donation presumably because I’m just ecstatic with the place?

Either I’ve lost the plot or the World has.

HYD

During the Xmas holidays we went to a large shop that sells oak furniture. I served as taxi driver, specification manager and closer. The ladies of the house chose the [very] few things they wanted.

Hmm ... "closer" :roll: . "Can you work out what that's going to cost please?". "Yup".

"Thank you for letting me know that cost. We would like to sleep on it ... after all it's our hard earned money".

"Ah ... sir, that price is only for today, as it's a sale price and we can only deliver this week, not next week when you want it"

"Oh" I said. "That's what I think you refer to as a call to action. Let me counter that with my own very polite comment if I may please. Firstly the price you have quoted is actually more than last week ... so I'm not sure it's a genuine sale. Secondly I think you may have missed the point ... my money is in my bank account ... and if you can't deliver next week it will have to stay there won't it ... and thirdly if I walk out of that door now you will probably never see me again".

"Wait there sir please" ... twenty seconds later, "yes sir we can deliver whenever you want and I forgot to mention the two free mirrors and there are no additional delivery charges".

AiYn'U

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 14th, 2020, 10:21 am

The former (pub) doesnt totally surprise me. Im still amazed at "tips jars" on the bar in pubs, so this is just the electronic version theerof. I don't get it either whether cash or card [ notwoithstanding buying a drink occassioanlly for the bar person in one's local... which is different anyway IMO ). The charity donation thing ive seen in local fuel stations - not seen in pubs yet but I guess its just a matter of time. Given the local fuel station cannot tell anybody apparently which carity is benefitting I never vsay yes (other caveats aside). Maybe for some fun the bar person could be queried as to which chariry receives the doination. I highly suspect its just another way of making profits... that's not to say NONE of that donation goes to some charity but based on nothing but cynicism I suspect its a small % of it with "handloing charges" extracting the majoity of it.

The latter (store)... well that was just outright lieing and patently clear as such. I personally have been tempted to walk away at that juncture anyway (notwithstanding whether the price really was good, desperation factor for the item, and wasted journies otherwise. Or just be really faceitous and come back with an "updated" counter offer of a much cheaper price and next day delivery to paint the sales person into a corner and be the one to refuse).

didds

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » February 14th, 2020, 11:19 am

Its coming to attraction websites too. First it was pushing the Gift Aid price over the normal price, then the "additional contribution" box. Its all too easy for website developers to add an additional burden on consumers, never mind if only a few choose the option. I sub-vocalise "FO" and move on ... or away.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 14th, 2020, 12:11 pm

The whole tipping business annoys me greatly, particularly where tipping is 'expected'
If I walk up to a bar and buy a round there's no way I'm going to pay the staff extra for doing their job i.e. serving me a drink
In normal pubs it's unheard of, but I've noticed it in the more expensive places in London
The argument is - 'the staff don't get paid much and a lot of their income comes from tips'. So not only are you overpaying for the drinks, you are also subsidising the staff costs. Bar owners, you rob-dogs, make the drink prices all-inclusive, so what you see is what you pay. And restaurants. And taxi drivers, barbers, hotel staff. :evil:

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 14th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Amen.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 14th, 2020, 3:00 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:"Oh" I said. "That's what I think you refer to as a call to action. Let me counter that with my own very polite comment if I may please. Firstly the price you have quoted is actually more than last week ... so I'm not sure it's a genuine sale. Secondly I think you may have missed the point ... my money is in my bank account ... and if you can't deliver next week it will have to stay there won't it ... and thirdly if I walk out of that door now you will probably never see me again".
AiYn'U

You're Joe Lycett aren't you?

:lol:

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 14th, 2020, 3:17 pm

The mere thought of using a contactless card in a pub seems so bizarre to me that I can't imagine myself ever doing it.

That and tales from colleagues about having strange amounts taken out their account.

With cash, I have an easy guide (empty wallet) to how many I've had and whether I should call it a day.

Steve

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » February 14th, 2020, 3:22 pm

stevensfo wrote:The mere thought of using a contactless card in a pub seems so bizarre to me that I can't imagine myself ever doing it.

That and tales from colleagues about having strange amounts taken out their account.

With cash, I have an easy guide (empty wallet) to how many I've had and whether I should call it a day.

Steve

Make the most of it. A wine bar has just opened opposite me that only accepts cards. It doesn't have any tills.

Saves money disappearing from the tills from either staff or robbers I guess.

HYD

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 14th, 2020, 3:25 pm

stevensfo wrote:The mere thought of using a contactless card in a pub seems so bizarre to me that I can't imagine myself ever doing it.

I love it, as it finally allows me to account for how much I spend on drinks, rather than just coming out of a cash bucket. Of course others might hate it for the same reason...

Depends where you drink, but many pubs I go to assume you'll be paying by card and are a little surprised when you flash the cash. And that's with my default being to go to CAMRA Good Beer Guide pubs in any new-to-me place.

Scott.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 14th, 2020, 3:46 pm

Two of my locals are cashless - card/digital only (apple pay, google pay, smartwatches etc). An increasing problem for small businesses is the closure of high street banks - so there's nowhere to deposit cash, save a drive to another town to do with inherrent time and travel costs. Many suppliers wo'nt take cash (various reasons including the same as these pubs) so its down to digital payment to suppliers, so you can't even get rid of cash that way. In the case of pubs this may mean only staff are the possible outlets for cash. Then there is the cost of banking cash - business accounts typically charge for cash in as well as cash out, so the % charged by the digital merchant account is often cheaper (*) than banking any cash. Then there is the avoidance of any light fingered staff, removal of errors in giving change (for both parties!, it works both ways), and saving of staff time (which needs to be paid for) - now cashing up at end of the day is a push of a button and a second or two, not all that time spent counting, rationalising, bagging up, securing... which may well be a positive for the staff also of course (**)

As for cash-in-wallet etc ... a secondary card (starling/mondo etc) works there... put your beer money on the card before you go out, job done. Can only spend what you put on it.

As for double payments/mistakes etc ... well, you can request a receipt to be emailed or texted to you so you can see exactly what was taken each time. But then you could drop a fiver or leave your change on the bar accidentally - and you may nor know either until its "too late".

Yes - my lcoal pubs that are cashless have lost some customers. One or two maybe. Nobody wants to lose customers obviously - but their banking savings outweigh that small loss of trade.

Oh - of course. what happens when the internet is down? The systems keep it all cached and it works through when the internet comes back.
Loss of power? Various solutions - from tabs for locals to an emergency cash tin kept somewhere. One of my locals that is now cashless has been in operation now for 6.5 years... they've never had a power outage in all that time. Its a risk that "doesnt exist" basically.

I appreciate others mileage may vary - as do my locals. But it will become more common.

didds

(*) all of this explained to me by a local publican
(**) my son for starters anyway!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 14th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Paying contactless is just so..painless..which is not necessarily a good thing.
My statement has lots of entries like THREE GUINEAS £4.70
I'll often look at it and think; 'Dammit I'm sure I only had three in that place...why are there five debits? And how did I spend £20 in a nightclub/bar in Leeds the other week that I can't even remember being in?'
I'm too old for this lark

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 14th, 2020, 4:12 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Paying contactless is just so..painless..which is not necessarily a good thing.
My statement has lots of entries like THREE GUINEAS £4.70
I'll often look at it and think; 'Dammit I'm sure I only had three in that place...why are there five debits? And how did I spend £20 in a nightclub/bar in Leeds the other week that I can't even remember being in?'
I'm too old for this lark

LOL.

Wouold it be any different that going out with a £20 note and the next morning realising youve got 83p left?

:-)

didds

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 14th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Absolutely not, although in London if you went out with £20 you'd have a short night

Thankfully 'back home' £20 will get you six pints of decent beer , which is a good foundation for an evening :)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 14th, 2020, 4:23 pm

I don't think I've ever been in a cashless pub. Evidently I need to get out a bit more. :D But, that said, it's amazing how infrequent my visits to the cashpoint have become. Even Poundland and B&M have contactless these days. Although I rather fear that the "have-it-now, pay-for-it-some-day-when-the-lottery-numbers-come-up" phenomenon is making its own contribution to poverty. One of our flat tenants owed her soul to the card company because it made it so easy to hit the betting shop whenever she felt a bit down. When I rule the world, those sinkholes of humanity will be cash-only.

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 14th, 2020, 4:32 pm

didds wrote:

As for cash-in-wallet etc ... a secondary card (starling/mondo etc) works there... put your beer money on the card before you go out, job done. Can only spend what you put on it.

Very good idea and one I've been considering more and more since my debit card was cloned last year. Luckily I noticed very quickly since I only used that card for online shopping. These stories about cashless shops are worrying. Why should I have my spending habits on a database somewhere? What happened to consumer choice? What happened to The Customer is Always Right? What happened to 'Taking back control'? (Okay, best not go there) How come everyone else in the world (except Sweden) is still a happy cash society?

Steve

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 14th, 2020, 4:37 pm

stevensfo wrote:These stories about cashless shops are worrying. Why should I have my spending habits on a database somewhere? What happened to consumer choice? What happened to The Customer is Always Right? What happened to 'Taking back control'? (Okay, best not go there) How come everyone else in the world (except Sweden) is still a happy cash society?

Steve

well I suppose one answer is that the consumer does have a choice - to not frequent places that won't take cash.Of course - once everybody is cashless that choice is removed. But our society is full of such lack of true consumer choice - until very recently one of my other locals was cash ONLY. Entailing a trek across town to the nearest cashpoint if you ran out of cash etc. Where was consumer choice/customer-is-always-right there?

didds

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 14th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Then I suppose you wouldn't be a fan of the Wetherspoons app. Sit at your table, order and pay for your beer, and they bring it to you - very continental (don't tell Tim Martin).

Yes I know its Wetherspoons, but the local Wetherspoons isn't awful and it is cheap beer brought to you, rather than trying to force your way to the bar and try to attract the bar staff's attention -

"Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps, please.
Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps, please.
I'll have two pints of lager and a packet of crisps, please.
I'll have some pickled onions,
And a little bit of cheese, please.
Thank you."

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 14th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Not often Splodgenessabounds get a reference these days

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 17th, 2020, 9:12 am

I was told that the song was about the Maxwell Arms, in Orpington, aboiut Friday nights there late, back in the early 80s...

I'm also sure it was suggested about every other pub in the UK at the time!

didds

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”