Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Videos to help with quoting other posters correctly

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Videos to help with quoting other posters correctly

Postby Itsallaguess » March 8th, 2020, 6:14 am

We sometimes see new posters struggle a little with the Lemon Fool quoting process, so I've created this short video to show how a simple 'single cut down reply' can be created, which keeps the correct user-attribution working for the original quote -

https://vimeo.com/396237623

The above video link can be expanded to full screen to help with visibility.

The steps are as follows -

1. Check which section of the original post you're wanting to reply to.

2. Select the 'double quotes' icon to the top-right of the post you're wanting to reply to.

3. Edit out (select and delete) any sections of the original post that are superfluous to your needs, leaving just the section you're wanting to reply to.

4. Underneath the smaller quoted section, write your reply.

5. Preview the post to check for completeness, and continue editing if required.

6. Select the 'Submit' button to submit the post to the board when happy with the preview process (not shown on video).

Hope this helps - I do plan to compose a similar video showing an improved method to quote multiple posters at the same time, but I thought I'd create this simple 'single-reply' video first, to let me link to it when users seem to be having some issues with the board software.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Videos to help with quoting other posters correctly

Postby Itsallaguess » March 8th, 2020, 10:06 am

And here's an additional video that shows a very simple method to quote several posters in a thread (or even the same poster, but with different sections being quoted..), using the board software to help with the composition of those numerous quotes -

https://vimeo.com/396253148

Steps to follow -

1. Open a thread that you're wanting to reply within

2. Select the 'Post Reply' button

3. Scroll to the bottom of the page, where you'll see all the thread posts listed, with the oldest posts at the bottom of the scrollable window.

4. Highlight a section of one of the posts you're wanting to reply to

5. Select the 'Double Quotes' icon to the right of that individual post - this should then insert the quoted passage in your 'Edit Box' at the top of the page, with the correct user-attribution for the quoted section.

6. If required, repeat the above process with different posts and different posters, selecting each section that you're wanting to reply to, and then using the 'Double Quote' icon to insert that quote into your own post.

7. Insert your own replies to each quoted section, either as you go or at the end of inserting all the different quoted sections. In this video I've inserted my dummy replies as I've gone through each quoted piece.

8. Importantly for this process, I'd recommend using the 'Preview' button to ensure everything has worked correctly before actually submitting the quote...

9. When you're happy, select the 'Submit' button to commit your reply to the site (not shown on this video..)

I do want to say that the above process was first highlighted to me by Julian F.G.W in the following thread from January, so thanks Julian for bringing this simple process to people's attention -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21411#p278849

Do note that the above process can be used to either reply to different posters in the same thread, or also to reply to a single poster, but quoting different sections of their post for a number of separate replies to each section....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 8th, 2020, 10:24 am

One caveat to the above. You must use the original quote, not a post where it is quoted by someone else, as it will be attributed to that someone else.

I found this out the hard way.

TJH

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 8th, 2020, 11:40 am

Wot, no narration?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 8th, 2020, 11:51 am

mc2fool wrote:
Wot, no narration?

Now you mention it, I can already see the directors cut coming together -

"And now, for the next step, I will reply to one of mc2fool's posts. I didn't realise at the time what a troublesome extra he would turn out to be...."

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”