Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

MOT stations busy?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

MOT stations busy?

Postby DrFfybes » March 19th, 2020, 9:17 am

One for Mork I suspect...

Our MOT runs out in just over a month. However our usual place cannot do it for 10 days as someone is off. IF (and this is a speculative IF) the govt decides we have to stay at home for a fortnight, and my MOT runs out during that time, what are the cances of getting it done, or getting caught without one?

The other car is a real PITA as it needs some wierd part that is stuck in a warehouse in Italy :(

Still, if we are locked in for 2 weeks then the Autoglym mountain in the garage might finally get some use.

Paul

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Re: MOT stations busy?

Postby Howard » March 19th, 2020, 10:14 am

DrFfybes wrote:One for Mork I suspect...

Our MOT runs out in just over a month. However our usual place cannot do it for 10 days as someone is off. IF (and this is a speculative IF) the govt decides we have to stay at home for a fortnight, and my MOT runs out during that time, what are the cances of getting it done, or getting caught without one?

The other car is a real PITA as it needs some wierd part that is stuck in a warehouse in Italy :(

Still, if we are locked in for 2 weeks then the Autoglym mountain in the garage might finally get some use.

Paul

As an old "buffer" (pun intended), I loved the implication that you have been panic buying Autoglym products.

Must dash, forget social distancing, this is an emergency, I'm off to Halfords to make sure I can get three years supply of wheel cleaner before they run out.

;) Howard

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » March 22nd, 2020, 12:14 pm

DrFfybes wrote:... what are the cances of getting it done, or getting caught without one?

Getting it done? Pretty high inless you live in an area of high virus activity. Garages and MoT stations are not (at the time of writing at least!") on the list of closed businesses, besides which I would imagine that making sure those vehicles which actually are in use are still roadworthy and legal would be quite important, so us testers ought to be on the "reserved occupation" list or whatever :D

Getting caught without? No chance of geting away with it! The entire national ANPR system is on high alert and fully manned, as the dibbles will be have time to be busy catching proper criminals and dodgy drivers now the drunk tanks are no longer in use over the weekends! :lol:

Right now as far as I can see the only problem with getting an MoT is whether the garages have the time to fit you in. Certainly in our case we have been manic since the back end of February, and I'm currently running at an average of four tests a day, almost double my regular rate. We are not usually the busiest garage in the world, though we get plenty enough to keep us going, so my guess is that right now it is just the result of being at the new registration plate change time. There is certainly no panic buying of MoT's, everything I am seeing is either due or just a couple of days late, although in a few cases "late" is not the word :( Several over three months-worth of tardiness, and one a year and three-quarters overdue. Yes, you read that right, twenty one months after the last test expired it was presented to me for its ticket :o

BusyMork

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 23rd, 2020, 10:11 am

Well it turns out there is not a problem in Exeter.

Since posting this the Dealer has sent me a letter, one text, one phone call, and 2 emails reminding me it is time for a Service and MOT.

They even offered to collect it from my storage unit for me to save me taxing it before next month.

Paul

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 23rd, 2020, 11:18 am

DrFfybes wrote:Well it turns out there is not a problem in Exeter.

Since posting this the Dealer has sent me a letter, one text, one phone call, and 2 emails reminding me it is time for a Service and MOT.

They even offered to collect it from my storage unit for me to save me taxing it before next month.

Paul

Car in today for MOT. No appointment, just turned up, collect later today.

John

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Re: MOT stations busy - extended 6 months.

Postby supremetwo » March 25th, 2020, 10:48 am

New rules on MOT testing for light vehicles.

Due to the unfolding COVID-19 situation, cars and vans and motorcycles due their MOT from 30 March 2020 will have their MOT extended by 6 months.

This will continue until confirmed otherwise.

This will allow vehicle owners to continue to be able to get to work where this absolutely cannot be done from home or do essential shopping.

Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition and drivers can be prosecuted if they drive an unsafe vehicle.

We have published guidance for garages.

We've also published 2 guides for the public:

Guidance on MOTs due before 30 March
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... march-2020

Guidance on MOTs due from 30 March
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... march-2020

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: MOT stations busy - extended 6 months.

Postby AF62 » March 25th, 2020, 8:10 pm

supremetwo wrote:New rules on MOT testing for light vehicles.

[b][i]Due to the unfolding COVID-19 situation, cars and vans and motorcycles due their MOT from 30 March 2020 will have their MOT extended by 6 months.

That's handy - I hated taking my car for its MOT in December when it was freezing cold, but it looks like it will be pushed back to June 2021 now.

I bet it breaks all to MOT reminder services though.

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Postby MonsterMork » March 25th, 2020, 9:14 pm

Spoke too soon didn't I? :roll: Been slaving away today punting out 9 tests, I have eleven (yes, count them, 11) booked in for tomorrow and at least half a dozen more for Friday and Saturday. And now the bastids go and change the rules on me :x Looks like I may be off to the dole queue come the beginning of April then :cry:

MM

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”