Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Gimme some bread, man...

Postby swill453 » March 25th, 2020, 4:45 pm

Anecdotal stories say that food waste collections are significantly up, as the stuff that's been panic-bought reaches its use-by date unused, and is turfed in the bin.

Scott.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

All is well.

Postby nimnarb » March 25th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Sure many of you are watching or have watched as our portfolios have shrunk somewhat. Well two weeks ago I decided against my better nature as history is not on my side, to go mostly into cash. Didn't feel quite right as just new that the Orange one here would do all it takes not to see the market tank, but the "this time it's different scenario" and seeing what is going on all around us, felt preservation of capital was more important as dont have another 20 plus years to go and felt I would get another chance..started swing trading the last few days and did quite well but just dont have the time, stomach or inclination for that game anymore. Two days ago went about 80% and just watched as the US market went up 11 plus percent and as I write its up again and watching those stocks that I didnt fully get back in(as I thought I would get a far better price) start to run away again.

Said to my wife, well my luck or timing it just never is right is it. She looked at me and said(after 47 years of being together), "In my eyes, you are always right". Had a shiver go through me and turned CNBC and the talking money heads off. Puts it all into perspective doesn't it.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 25th, 2020, 4:51 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:OK I know lots of stuff is in short supply at the supermarkets but I'm having real trouble finding any bread. Doesn't seem to be any around.
Is this due to a genuine shortage at the producers, supply chain issues, or people bulk/panic buying
If the latter surely it's going to go stale unless frozen, and you can't fit many loaves into a freezer
When will people reach 'peak bread' and allow the shelves to fill up again? I only want one poxy loaf.

Maybe they've also been panic-buying freezers?

--kiloran

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 25th, 2020, 4:52 pm

good point....

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » March 25th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Is this the occasion to suggest you buy a breadmaker?

And have fresh bread on tap whenever you want it.

Watis

I've had a breadmaker for 30 years and have never looked back!

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 25th, 2020, 4:55 pm

kiloran wrote:Maybe they've also been panic-buying freezers?

--kiloran

10th March AO.com reported increase in freezer sales https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51816316

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 25th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Watis wrote:Is this the occasion to suggest you buy a breadmaker?

Watis

I've not seen flour for a couple of weeks though.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 25th, 2020, 5:01 pm

kempiejon wrote:10th March AO.com reported increase in freezer sales https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51816316

I just wish they could get a decent fridge to me... :(

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 25th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Watis

I don't actually eat much bread, but starting to miss toast and marmalade of a morning...

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 25th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Popped into our nearest Tesco Extra this morning (opens at 06:00, I was in at 06:10).

The aisles were jammed with online order pickers, but at least there was plenty of bread, flour, rice etc. (bread was overflowing the shelves and stacked on extra trolleys).

Managed to get a kg of flour and some rice, which is a first for a while! Spoke with a friend who went a little later - bare shelves again...

VRD

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 25th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Snorvey wrote:Prince Charles is self isolating at Balmoral with Covid-19

Yeah, I bet Prince Andrew is sweating. Oh no, wait a minute...

Scott.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » March 25th, 2020, 5:36 pm

Need some feedback on this:

We have a pizza oven in the garden. What issues could arise if we held an "over the fence" pizza day? Basically, I prep the oven and either make and cook pizza to hand over the fence (as in, on a long-handled pizza spatula, so not actually touched by me after it's gone into the 500 degC oven) or Mrs VRD and I retreat indoors and let the neighbours cook their own pizzas, only coming out when they have exited the garden?

Just playing with ideas for a bit of variety, especially as this would include school-age kids.

I'm not worried about normal risks (like burns etc.), just anything specific to coronavirus.

VRD

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 25th, 2020, 6:28 pm

BrummieDave wrote:
swill453 wrote:
The FTSE100 rises over 9%, and this doesn't even merit a headline on the business section of the BBC news website.

Scott.

Of course not, it doesn't fit the editorial narrative. Largest single day rise in the index ever btw.

Stock market drops do of course, consistent with the anti-Brexit/CV19 is the end of the world (interchangeable) mantra.

Here you are, from 24 March:

Global stock markets surge after weeks of losses

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52028673

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » March 25th, 2020, 6:39 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:OK I know lots of stuff is in short supply at the supermarkets but I'm having real trouble finding any bread. Doesn't seem to be any around.
Is this due to a genuine shortage at the producers, supply chain issues, or people bulk/panic buying
If the latter surely it's going to go stale unless frozen, and you can't fit many loaves into a freezer
When will people reach 'peak bread' and allow the shelves to fill up again? I only want one poxy loaf.

Bread flour is also largely unavailable. Yeast is difficult to find.

Let them eat cake springs to mind because plain and self raising are available at the moment.

My rhubard is doing well. I'd do a rhubarb pie but we are short of sugar. We don't use it in tea or coffee so only had a bit left we keep for visitors. There's no sugar to be had locally.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 25th, 2020, 6:58 pm

Managed to get some 'slow roast tomato sourdough' from Co Op. So toast's back on. Going to be a bit odd with marmalade.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: All is well.

Postby sg31 » March 25th, 2020, 7:34 pm

nimnarb wrote:
Sure many of you are watching or have watched as our portfolios have shrunk somewhat. Well two weeks ago I decided against my better nature as history is not on my side, to go mostly into cash. Didn't feel quite right as just new that the Orange one here would do all it takes not to see the market tank, but the "this time it's different scenario" and seeing what is going on all around us, felt preservation of capital was more important as dont have another 20 plus years to go and felt I would get another chance..started swing trading the last few days and did quite well but just dont have the time, stomach or inclination for that game anymore.

Two days ago went about 80% and just watched as the US market went up 11 plus percent and as I write its up again and watching those stocks that I didnt fully get back in(as I thought I would get a far better price) start to run away again.

Said to my wife, well my luck or timing it just never is right is it. She looked at me and said(after 47 years of being together), "In my eyes, you are always right". Had a shiver go through me and turned CNBC and the talking money heads off. Puts it all into perspective doesn't it.

I don't think this is the end of it. The stimulus will be old news soon and and if America lets this virus run out of control they won't know what's hit them. I spend a lot of time on North American bulletin boards, I had a lot invested over there at one time and made some good 'friends' so I call in every day.

The amount of posts still saying it's all a hoax, the figures are all false, 'god has got this' and let the old pepple die for the sake of the country testify to the ignorance that abounds over there. The boards *I use are all investment related so this isn't thick red necks we are talking about, most are wealthy educated people. To me thay seem to be sociopaths but then I'm an English pinko commie person with no father.

Obviously they aren't all like that but a surprising number are. When this get's real I think there will be a leg down that will dwarf whats gone before. They are too late reacting, their lock downs are even more of a joke than ours.

I'm no expert, form your own opinion. If I'm wrong I will preserve my capital but miss a golden opportunity. I don't really care because if I'm wrong a lot of people will be alive compared to what I think is going to happen.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 25th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Yup, it's very early days yet, wait until the US deaths are in the tens of thousands and over 1000 per day...

Sorry I take no pleasure in this but it is pretty much baked in.

John

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Re: All is well.

Postby nimnarb » March 25th, 2020, 8:22 pm

sg31 wrote:
nimnarb wrote:
Sure many of you are watching or have watched as our portfolios have shrunk somewhat. Well two weeks ago I decided against my better nature as history is not on my side, to go mostly into cash. Didn't feel quite right as just new that the Orange one here would do all it takes not to see the market tank, but the "this time it's different scenario" and seeing what is going on all around us, felt preservation of capital was more important as dont have another 20 plus years to go and felt I would get another chance..started swing trading the last few days and did quite well but just dont have the time, stomach or inclination for that game anymore.

Two days ago went about 80% and just watched as the US market went up 11 plus percent and as I write its up again and watching those stocks that I didnt fully get back in(as I thought I would get a far better price) start to run away again.

I don't think this is the end of it. The stimulus will be old news soon and and if America lets this virus run out of control they won't know what's hit them. I spend a lot of time on North American bulletin boards, I had a lot invested over there at one time and made some good 'friends' so I call in every day.

The amount of posts still saying it's all a hoax, the figures are all false, 'god has got this' and let the old pepple die for the sake of the country testify to the ignorance that abounds over there. The boards *I use are all investment related so this isn't thick red necks we are talking about, most are wealthy educated people. To me thay seem to be sociopaths but then I'm an English pinko commie person with no father.

Obviously they aren't all like that but a surprising number are. When this get's real I think there will be a leg down that will dwarf whats gone before. They are too late reacting, their lock downs are even more of a joke than ours.

I'm no expert, form your own opinion. If I'm wrong I will preserve my capital but miss a golden opportunity. I don't really care because if I'm wrong a lot of people will be alive compared to what I think is going to happen.

I live in SW Florida. Many retail stores are open. Traffic down but not a lot. Restaurants are closed(until end of March) but doing take-aways. Last week if you saw the Spring-Breakers here in their droves you wouldn't think anything was wrong. Don't want to get political but when I hear back to work by Easter as opposed to the Governor of NY pleading for help, its just beyond my comprehension. I always watch the BBC World News and compare to one of our news channels and you really would think we are on two different planets. They have been coming down to our area in droves from NY, albeit The Florida Governor stating once they hit Florida they will have to self-isolate. Yeah right!! The planes are full coming into Orlando. The rich are escaping to the Hamptons, preferably with 10 plus acres and prepared to pay one year in advance. Real Estate Agents within that area have never seen anything like it with rental prices being jacked up to 5 times the usual amount. Trump is allowing each Governor or Mayor in various states to decide on whats best for their people. This morning went to Publix, like your Tesco, as they had a seniors early morning 7-8am opening. Had gloves and mask on and then got home and spent more time disinfecting everything than I did putting it all away. Also no TP, wipes, etc in sight on the shelves but luckily got the last lot that I need from Amazon about 3 weeks ago. No wonder I am having nightmares, in just a short two months, the whole world it seems has been turned upside down. Anyway, like you I feel that this has been a huge dead cat bounce and yet they state, its all been factored and even with the employment numbers out tomorrow(1.5 to 2 mill?) "not to worry, as its all gravy baby from now on"....
and "a few deaths here and there with a bad..Ok, very bad case of Flu, is not going to stop the greatest, yes the greatest Country in the world from having the biggest V shape recovery you have ever seen. Oh(just reported on Fox News) and you might get another form of Covid-19X next year after you have recovered but don't worry, you be immune, not sure about the other chap though!!!
aarrrghhhhh.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » March 25th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Not sure if air travel is a good proxy for how seriously a country is taking any kind of lockdown, but the number of flights over the US compared to Europe (where admittedly it's night time), or elsewhere (like Dubai which has closed its major hub) is startling: https://www.flightradar24.com/

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » March 25th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Watis

We have a "Panny" and it makes some things well. Pizza base for example.

The one thing it is useless at is making a decent loaf of bread! Do you have a favourite recipe which guarantees as good a loaf as a Hovis Granary for example.

I'll ask Mrs H to try it out. And to stay on topic - we'll call it our Coronahovis recipe ;)

regards

Howard

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”