Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
thirty06

Re: Investing in Green Infrastructure Funds (ITs)

Postby thirty06 » April 1st, 2020, 1:23 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
thirty06 wrote:In the short term, probably not so good. Low oil price = lower energy costs.

In the long term, it's where we're supposed to be headed. Picking individual companies at the start of a new industrial phase is going to be tricky. I'll hazard a guess that the likes of Shell and BP will be picking up green energy firms if they look promising.

Plausible, but perhaps behind the curve?

Bigcos in the market are surely led by the utilities sector. Hence the likes of SSE (a history of windfarms) or EDF (very recent investment in charging electric vehicles).

I'm usually behind the curve.

Yes, the utilities sector deliver energy. I think that energy companies are still going to seek a role in production.

I we remind ourselves that Shell began in business by importing seashells, then moved into shipping and later moved into oil as they began to ship it. I think that they will use their size to exploit new technologies.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 1st, 2020, 5:15 pm

I was thinking more from the perspective of, if energy costs are falling, won't that reduce the price that solar and wind farms can get for the electricity they produce, and ultimately the returns that we investors then get?

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » April 1st, 2020, 8:07 pm

richfool wrote:I was thinking more from the perspective of, if energy costs are falling, won't that reduce the price that solar and wind farms can get for the electricity they produce, and ultimately the returns that we investors then get?

JLEN have fixed-price contracts for many of their sites (and I expect others have similar), hence the significantly-lower movements in the share prices in this sector.
We have no idea at present how long or how much lower gas prices might affect energy costs, but I reckon the virus will be overcome before infrastructure contracts expire and by then energy costs are likely to be back to at least 2019 prices.

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » April 3rd, 2020, 11:18 am

thirty06 wrote:I we remind ourselves that Shell began in business by importing seashells, then moved into shipping and later moved into oil as they began to ship it. I think that they will use their size to exploit new technologies.

Yes they will, and are already - they lead all the other oil companies in moving to renewables, even fi they're not quite hitting their targets, its not a market they're ignoring in favour of oil.

The biggest concern I have for renewables now is that there's beginning to be a glut of power at some times, I changed energy provider to Octopus recently and when there's a storm, there's so much wind energy produced that Octopus sends me an email to tell me that the price will go negative at time of lowest demand. The rest of the time the price is a couple of p per kWh. I can't see adding more renewables makes financial sense, if they have to pay for their energy production to be taken away and the returns diminish due to excess capacity when weather conditions are favourable (and obviously they don't produce much when they're not), so renewables were a great investment, but the returns on their product will be hit as more of them are built.

tramrider
2 Lemon pips

Postby tramrider » April 3rd, 2020, 1:19 pm

gbjbaanb wrote:I can't see adding more renewables makes financial sense, if they have to pay for their energy production to be taken away and the returns diminish due to excess capacity when weather conditions are favourable (and obviously they don't produce much when they're not), so renewables were a great investment, but the returns on their product will be hit as more of them are built.

Time to start investing in batteries to spread the load. :D

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » April 8th, 2020, 11:48 am

gbjbaanb wrote:The biggest concern I have for renewables now is that there's beginning to be a glut of power at some times, I changed energy provider to Octopus recently and when there's a storm, there's so much wind energy produced that Octopus sends me an email to tell me that the price will go negative at time of lowest demand. The rest of the time the price is a couple of p per kWh. I can't see adding more renewables makes financial sense, if they have to pay for their energy production to be taken away and the returns diminish due to excess capacity when weather conditions are favourable (and obviously they don't produce much when they're not), so renewables were a great investment, but the returns on their product will be hit as more of them are built.

I love Octopus Agile!

Negative prices happen because subsidised renewables are setting the marginal price. Because they receive energy price plus subsidy price, they can afford for the energy price to go negative, right down to energy price = marginal cost of production - subsidy

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » April 23rd, 2020, 9:47 am

COVID-19: TRIG cuts power price forecasts
https://www.renews.biz/59805/covid-19-t ... forecasts/

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/news/s ... wer-prices
The Liberum analysts add that the latest forecasts received by TRIG are therefore likely to have come from the other major third-party provider, with the other funds in the sector likely to experience a similar adjustment to power price forecasts over the coming quarters.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 2nd, 2020, 11:04 am

An interesting article and discussion of oil and energy prices and their possible affects on renewables in the latest Investor's Chronicle: (If you can't access the full article, copy & paste the title into a google search and you should get access to the full article):
Get on the right side of the oil price with good funds

https://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/fu ... ood-funds/

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 15th, 2020, 10:37 am

I came across this which may be of interest to holders of TRIG:

Renwables Infrastrucuture Group acquires stake in German wind farm, exits Swedish project
LONDON (Reuters) - London-listed The Renewables Infrastructure Group <TRIG.L> (TRIG) said on Friday it has completed the acquisition of a 36% stake in a 396 megawatt (MW) offshore wind farm in the German North Sea.

Commercial operations commenced in June 2019 at the Merkur wind farm and the project benefits from a feed-in tariff for the next 13 years.

Dutch pension investor APG has acquired the remaining 64% in the project. Financial details were not disclosed.

TRIG also said it has exited from a Swedish onshore wind project being developed by Enercon due to construction delays.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/renwa ... 36184.html

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » May 22nd, 2020, 3:23 pm

richfool wrote:
PrefInvestor wrote:Hi All, Personally I see GSF as a bit of a minnow of a Trust which didnt start well, failing to raise the desired amount at its IPO. If the Capacity Market takes off it could do well though. Personally I am steering clear for the moment.

Also after developments in the markets these last few days I have cancelled my subscription to the ORIT IPO as I see many other likely more profitable opportunities now for deploying the money.

ATB

Pref

What about GRID Gresham House Energy Storage Fund? Similar to GSF but a slightly larger animal, market cap: £169m targeting a dividend of 7p per share, paid qtly. Current SP: 107.50p NAV: 99.1p

Factsheet accessible through:
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rd-gbp0.01

I am still interested in GSF. It has a much higher yield at 6.95% than GRID at 4.23%. it did get setback in the March falls, but has recovered strongly since. Noted it is a minnow, but battery storage of renewable energy must be in vogue currently.

ukfire

Postby ukfire » July 11th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Shares Magazine were a bit bearish on the whole sector this week, suggesting that readers who followed their 2019 tip to buy Foresight Solar sell their shares at a slight loss. Much reference to the report earlier this year about lower than expected long term power prices and NAV downgrades.

I'm still in TRIG and ORIT.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 11th, 2020, 2:00 pm

ukfire wrote:Shares Magazine were a bit bearish on the whole sector this week, suggesting that readers who followed their 2019 tip to buy Foresight Solar sell their shares at a slight loss. Much reference to the report earlier this year about lower than expected long term power prices and NAV downgrades.

I'm still in TRIG and ORIT.

Ukfire, do you have any link to that article? I could only find one back in February, which was suggesting that whilst investors were taking a dim view of Foresight Solar, it had a bright long term future:

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/news/s ... ight-solar

I still hold TRIG & JLEN

Ah, I found this, though apparently one has to subscribe to read it (9th July):
https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/articl ... ergy-funds

Also, spotted this alternative view from the Guardian (May this year)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ays-report

dredd0

Postby dredd0 » September 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Greencoat UK Wind (UKW) are raising more equity with a subscription offer at 131p. Current share price is 134p, NAV 118p. Would you?

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » September 10th, 2020, 5:47 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
dredd0 wrote:Greencoat UK Wind (UKW) are raising more equity with a subscription offer at 131p. Current share price is 134p, NAV 118p. Would you?

No. Instead, I would subscribe to the Energy Efficiency Investment Trust I posted about yesterday in share ideas. I won't buy at a premium, especially one as wide as you quoted above.

RVF

The Greencoat UK Wind NAV is calculated based on a fixed set of assumptions, of which the most notable is a 7.5% IRR on the future cashflows. There is no price for the underlying assets. The current share price equates to a discount rate of around 6%.

So in buying this IT at this market price, the question to ask yourself is whether you are happy to buy these cashflows (with their various risks) at a yield of 6%.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » September 10th, 2020, 8:22 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
Spet0789 wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:No. Instead, I would subscribe to the Energy Efficiency Investment Trust I posted about yesterday in share ideas. I won't buy at a premium, especially one as wide as you quoted above.

RVF

The Greencoat UK Wind NAV is calculated based on a fixed set of assumptions, of which the most notable is a 7.5% IRR on the future cashflows. There is no price for the underlying assets. The current share price equates to a discount rate of around 6%.

So in buying this IT at this market price, the question to ask yourself is whether you are happy to buy these cashflows (with their various risks) at a yield of 6%.

Ah, I see. Very misleading then to quote NAV in a conventional manner. I guess the big question is the sustainability of the income generated in a subsidy free market medium to long term?

RVF

Exactly. As I understand it, UKW sells around half of its electricity at the prevailing market price (with the rest being at fixed prices), so as an investor you're exposed to 3 risks: that wholesale electricity prices fall; that less wind blows; that the generators are less reliable / wear out faster than predicted.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 10th, 2020, 8:32 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
Spet0789 wrote:
ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:No. Instead, I would subscribe to the Energy Efficiency Investment Trust I posted about yesterday in share ideas. I won't buy at a premium, especially one as wide as you quoted above.

RVF

Ah, I see. Very misleading then to quote NAV in a conventional manner.

So how do you value them then? (Genuine question.)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 10th, 2020, 10:03 pm

But that is just a mechanism for valuing the assets in the same way that British Land values its buildings on the rental flow discounted into the future. OTOH a building has a value in other ways in that for instance you could convert an office block into flats and thereby change the valuation. You cannot very well do that with wind turbine 30 miles offshore but the principle is the same. Wind turbines do not have an indefinite future of course so I suppose they use the discounted cash flow over the estimated lifetime.

The NAV ought though to give an indication of the value at which the asset will change hands and thus give some indication of the share price in relation to the NAV and thus the yield.

Surely a lot of muddled thinking here where there is no need for it.

Dod

dredd0

Postby dredd0 » September 11th, 2020, 9:34 pm

For me it is a way of getting exposure to UK wind generation without trying to be too clever. It's not like an Investment Company NAV where you might be able to buy the underlying assets cheaper. So far the manager has not started to diversify overseas and gearing is conservative. So long as that continues I will keep investing. One thing I can be sure of is the wind will continue to blow.

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » September 16th, 2020, 9:39 am

https://renews.biz/63140/octopus-renewa ... over-341m/

Octopus Renewables Infrastructure Trust reported net assets worth over £341m (€370m) in its maiden unaudited interim results for the period from incorporation on 11 October 2019 to 30 June 2020...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 16th, 2020, 1:10 pm

sunnyjoe wrote:https://renews.biz/63140/octopus-renewables-assets-valued-at-over-341m/

Octopus Renewables Infrastructure Trust reported net assets worth over £341m (€370m) in its maiden unaudited interim results for the period from incorporation on 11 October 2019 to 30 June 2020...

Thanks for posting. They're clearly not sitting on their hands!

So, a mix of new projects (great - rosy picture of all on track) and operational assets (at what price in today's market?). Which is what we subscribed to.

Return to “Investment Strategies”