Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Stockmarketeye 5

Discussions regarding financial software
FoolishRix

Stockmarketeye 5

Postby FoolishRix » April 26th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Any Stockmarketeye users here?
Have you migrated to v5? If so, how does the new datafeed from MSN Money perform compared with the old Yahoo feed (which has been rubbish for me)?
....or are you all using Stockopedia?

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Re: Stockmarketeye 5

Postby mrbrightside » April 26th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Historic charts work better in V5 for Vanguard and iShares ETF's using MSN. Haven't tried any other of my (mainly FTSE250) UK shares as they already work fine. Not sure if I'm going to commit to $50 p.a though.

PitBullCH

Postby PitBullCH » May 2nd, 2019, 9:47 am

Not tried v5 yet - not sure I will at £50/pa but not sure what other options exist for Mac local clients (I prefer not to hand over such data to a website).

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » May 3rd, 2019, 7:44 am

I don't like paying for software like this after paying up for Investoscope only to find that stopped a year later.

Now I have a portfolio on London Stock Exchange (free) and have RNS delivered to a second email (free)

I also run JStock (free) on Virtual Box (free) on my laptop.

https://jstock.org/

https://www.virtualbox.org/

You can run JStock on a range of operating systems, but I've chosen to use it in a virtual enviroment as I'm migrating my oldish laptop to Linux to avoid replacing it for a while longer.

I back up the JStock file to the cloud using Pcloud (similar to DropBox) (free) and use an old Raspberry Pi and salvaged ssd to keep local versions.

I believe StockMarketeye is very similar to Investoscope was, less attractive GUI if I'm honest (I tried the trial version) ( https://www.stockmarketeye.com/blog/inv ... ternative/), but JStock and the LSE RNS to me is a better combination.

I like JStock on Linux as you can get to the csv files behind the reports ( ls -a in the relevant directories) and I can then manipulate them in excel if I want a report the system doesn't provide.

It's a job to migrate the files across/create the 2 portfolio's but once it's done, I find my complex portfolio is better served.

Hope that helps as an alternative.

FoolishRix

Postby FoolishRix » June 3rd, 2019, 10:20 am

Thank you all very much for your responses. I tried JStock many years ago and found it clunky. However, it seems to have been re-written since then so will give it a go.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » June 4th, 2019, 11:44 am

mrbrightside wrote:Historic charts work better in V5 for Vanguard and iShares ETF's using MSN. Haven't tried any other of my (mainly FTSE250) UK shares as they already work fine. Not sure if I'm going to commit to $50 p.a though.

SME is now on version 5.0.6 after a flurry of updates for the new version. I umm'ed and aah'ed and eventually decided that $50 (£40) a year was a worthwhile investment. Mainly because the developer is so responsive. Doesn't necessarily mean the software will be around in 5 years but still...

Yoda

Postby Yoda » June 12th, 2019, 4:44 am

I have tried JStock not too long ago but also found it a bit clunky and lacking a lot of features but like the fact that it is free. I may give it ago again if it has improved.

In my research I found the following two programs. Does anyone have any experience with them?

https://www.stockportfolioorganizer.com

https://www.investmentaccountmanager.com/

PitBullCH

Postby PitBullCH » February 11th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Any further commends on SME v5 - for anybody that upgraded, was it worth it, and if so, why ?

Any other new alternatives in the meantime ?

FoolishRix

Postby FoolishRix » February 13th, 2020, 5:03 pm

I was an SME4 user for years.
I tried SME5 and had a few issues:

In SME4 I had quite a lot of stocks in several portfolios and watchlists. I originally entered them work to get data from the Google feed. When that stopped working I used Yahoo. Making the change was easy: export to csv, use a macro to change the symbol from "LON:BP" to " BP.L" then import back to SME which would pick up the new datafeed. This doesn’t seem to work in SME5. It meant it would take a long time for me to migrate my portfolios and watchlists from SME4 to SME5.

The developer told me
it's not possible to directly translate Yahoo symbols "BP.L" to MSN ticker symbols. Due to the way MSN works, we have to go through the symbol search first to get an internal identifier for the ticker symbol. The BP.LON that you see in our symbols search is just the ticker symbol, but it also has a (non-visible) identifier that we use with MSN to get quotes for the ticker symbol.

There were several other minor issues which reduced the usability of the application.
It's a shame but I uninstalled it and have continued using SME4 plus websites.

PitBullCH

Postby PitBullCH » April 28th, 2020, 4:04 pm

That's a first - crap migration to latest version of own program - since I flogged my entire portfolio pre-crash it's not an issue to enter new ones as and when I re-enter, but I have a shed-load of watchlists, don't really want to have to fiddle around with those.

Also noticed btw tham SME4 prices seem to be uniformly toast (i.e. zero) since April 22nd - need to check if they switched it off or if it's a market data issue upstream - did notices Yahoo also had a few weird looking prices, so might well be the latter.

PitBullCH

Postby PitBullCH » April 29th, 2020, 9:29 am

Seeing an issue with SME4 - all charts show prices since April 22nd at zero - every single stock I looked at is the same.

I emailed support and they suggested reloading chart data, but this didn't fix it. Now they claim this is an issue with Yahoo market data (almost certainly true), that SME5 has code in place to resolve this, but SME4 does not - hence advice to upgrade to SME5.

Grrr :-(

PitBullCH

Postby PitBullCH » April 29th, 2020, 9:46 am

PitBullCH wrote:That's a first - crap migration to latest version of own program - since I flogged my entire portfolio pre-crash it's not an issue to enter new ones as and when I re-enter, but I have a shed-load of watchlists, don't really want to have to fiddle around with those.

I was forced to download and try SME5 due to recent SME4 charting issues - dark mode at least is a very welcome addition :-) Actually the overall look and feel is quite nice.

All the Yahoo symbols seem fine and are working - basically the migration was painless. Whether I want to stay using Yahoo prices or go with MSN I guess I will decide later.

Still sore about the £50/year subscription, though I do understand what they say about business viability and sustainability of the app (I was an Investoscope user back in the day). Guess I'm going to have to stump up as it's still a better holistic solution than faffing about with online website portfolios, excel sheets and the like. Damn :-(

PitBullCH

Postby PitBullCH » September 7th, 2023, 9:37 am

The vendor has announced that the Mac software StockMarketEye is shutting down effective 26th September due to legacy software issues, costs, and being unable to integrate a new data provider after repeated Yahoo data issues.

Apparently there is a FaceBook page set up to discuss this, and to discuss potential alternatives - however I closed my FB account years ago and really don't want to open a new one - anybody here a member of that FB group and can comment on the alternatives proposed so far ? or indeed anybody have any thoughts on alternatives ?

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » September 7th, 2023, 1:26 pm

Yes, I use https://jstock.org/ everyday. I run it on a Raspberry Pi and then use the gmail notifications that get forwarded to a free Proton account.

I have used the portfolio and news functions in the past, but I mainly now use it for monitoring my portfolio for daily stock movements +/- 2% and 5% and a number of charting functions rsi etc. Overall I can get almost 100 notifications on a very busy days.

My portfolio is held on a local spreadsheet and London Stock Exchange.

I pick up news/RNS from the LSE's portfolio and use a command line Rss reader on the Pi for most other things.

I run the Pi headless and just VNC/shh in.

It works for me, and I also use the Pi as an MPD server for music, so I get lots of functionality. It's almost small enough to take on the road!

If you are looking for specific Mac function, I believe you can run jstock on some Macs. I prefer limited 3rd party stuff on my Macs, but I have run jtock on one in the past, so I would consider use UTM https://mac.getutm.app/ myself. I do for a Fedora machine.

https://jstock.org/download.html Mac Versions for Arm and x86

PitBullCH

Postby PitBullCH » September 14th, 2023, 7:41 am

Update...

Didn't find anything native suitable for Mac - jstock I tried but it barely functioned, not sure why, but it looked rather clunky so I didn't pursue it.

Bit the bullet and tried a number of online platforms - there were a few decent ones, but mostly they were US-focused and in some cases could not even register without a US trading account to link to, or could not access UK stocks at all. Best of these was Sharesight.com, but it was hideously slow and not something I could tolerate using.

Ended up at Stockopedia - much to my surprise I still had an account there from many years back (2014 !). Portfolio & watchlists (same thing, watchlist is just a portfolio without transactions) work very well, portfolio data input / update was a relative joy, there's a lot of good material on the site, the discussion forum is decent (and found a few refugees from old TMF days as well !). Currently still on a 2-week trial with a few days left to go, think I will continue with this one.

Still sad about StockMarketEye as it was good, seems they had some offers to buy it but declined and will sunset it forever.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”