Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

TfL suspends all road user charging schemes to help critical workers

London Locals helping visitors and locals alike
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 22nd, 2020, 1:41 am

Old news for some:

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2020/march/tfl-suspends-all-road-user-charging-schemes-to-help-critical-workers

... Transport for London has today (20 March) announced that all road user charging schemes in the capital will be temporarily suspended. This will come into effect so that none of the charges are in operation from Monday 23 March until further notice. ...

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Re: TfL suspends all road user charging schemes to help critical workers

Postby Hardgrafter » May 15th, 2020, 2:35 pm

All charges (except NHS and care home workers) will be back on Monday 18th, and will be increased on June 22. Note especially that it will be 7 days per week. No cheap Sunday visits to Museums.
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... t-11988726

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 16th, 2020, 10:44 am

Hardgrafter wrote:All charges (except NHS and care home workers) will be back on Monday 18th, and will be increased on June 22.

So they want people who can't work from home to go back to work but don't want them to use public transport, and this is the response. No wonder politicians are despised.

Maylix
2 Lemon pips

Postby Maylix » May 16th, 2020, 10:48 am

AF62 wrote:
Hardgrafter wrote:All charges (except NHS and care home workers) will be back on Monday 18th, and will be increased on June 22.

So they want people who can't work from home to go back to work but don't want them to use public transport, and this is the response. No wonder politicians are despised.

It's Sadiq vs Boris

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 16th, 2020, 10:54 am

Maylix wrote:
AF62 wrote:

It's Sadiq vs Boris

It's what we are going to have to get used to.

How do we pay for all of the costs of the effects of the virus, and the government's actions?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 16th, 2020, 10:58 am

Maylix wrote:
AF62 wrote:

It's Sadiq vs Boris

Yes the government forced the reintroduction of the charge as a condition of the bailout. Though the Tory press are blaming Sadiq Khan anyway, of course.

Scott.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » May 16th, 2020, 11:05 am

Although the government is splashing the cash it cannot go on for ever.

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » May 18th, 2020, 7:18 am

john
Quite agree, furthermore Kahn has, imho, proved to be the least capable of our 3 Mayors, indeed the only thing he appears to excel in are soundbites and self publicity.
Remember all the affordable housing he promised before he was elected ? What happened there ?
He failed on that, on knife crime and even on protection of bus drivers from covid until he was pressured to act after a death. I won't carry on but his list of successes is pretty slim, if it even exists.
I believe a Mayor should be apolitical, I personally was not a supporter of Livingstone's politics but I'd be the first to say he was an effective Mayor, he did understand London.
Likewise Burnham seems to be pragmatic and open minded in Manchester, from what I read.
Kahn shows me none of those attributes, just a desire to sing from his political hymn book !

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 18th, 2020, 10:24 am

barchid wrote:I believe a Mayor should be apolitical,

Yes I quite agree and so should this board. Please keep politics off this board and feel free to air any political views you have on the Polite Discussions Board.

Thanks

John

gt94sss2

Postby gt94sss2 » May 24th, 2020, 11:24 am

swill453 wrote:Yes the government forced the reintroduction of the charge as a condition of the bailout. Though the Tory press are blaming Sadiq Khan anyway, of course.

Both sides are playing politics but it does look as if the changes to the Congestion Charge scheme are due to the Mayor rather than the government (who are responsible for other changes)

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publ ... 8/HCWS240/

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » May 27th, 2020, 1:05 pm

The Mayor has subsequently announced that the Congestion Charge will increase to £15, with extended hours of operation and has withdrawn the residents’ discount for new applications.

Nearly £11 grand/year for a daily use 2 car family living within the Congestion Zone.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 28th, 2020, 1:22 am

1nvest wrote:
The Mayor has subsequently announced that the Congestion Charge will increase to £15, with extended hours of operation and has withdrawn the residents’ discount for new applications.

Nearly £11 grand/year for a daily use 2 car family living within the Congestion Zone.

Please provide the source for your quote (app.php/rules#rule-0b).

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 28th, 2020, 3:07 am

PinkDalek wrote:
1nvest wrote:

Please provide the source for your quote (app.php/rules#rule-0b).

looks like 365 x 2 x 15 ;)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 28th, 2020, 7:16 am

1nvest wrote:

Based on somewhat extreme usage, I'd say. Anyone who drove into London every day for a year, must be either desparate, exceedingly wealthy, or a sad pugilist!

Arb.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » May 28th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
1nvest wrote:

Based on somewhat extreme usage, I'd say. Anyone who drove into London every day for a year, must be either desparate, exceedingly wealthy, or a sad pugilist!

Arb.

If you live within the CZ and both use your cars daily (perhaps 2 school runs by one, drive to/from work by the other, and a couple of independent drives each at weekends (shops/friends ..etc.)) - then there's to be no CZ residents discount anymore.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 28th, 2020, 7:21 pm

1nvest wrote:If you live within the CZ ... then there's to be no CZ residents discount anymore.

I asked for a source for your original quote earlier.

One such is here https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/transport-for-london-extraordinary-funding-and-financing Published 18 May 2020.

If one looks at https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/discounts-and-exemptions it includes:

Proposed changes to the Congestion Charge

As part of proposed changes to encourage active travel in central London, we are not processing new applications for the residents' discount.

Once the proposed changes have been confirmed, we will review any applications made by new residents after 18 May 2020. ...

From that it would appear that those presently qualifying will continue to receive the discount. For how long I don't know.

The review for new residents after 18 May 2020 doesn't indicate there'll definitely be no discount and further down they state You can continue to apply if you live within the Congestion Charge residents' discount zone AND ....

Have you or has anyone seen anything further either way?

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » May 29th, 2020, 1:00 pm

I asked for a source for your original quote earlier.

Twas the link that gt94sss2 posted, immediately prior to my post, Within which ...

I just 7 days x £15/day x family of 2 cars that daily figure to arrive at the yearly amount.

The broad Press have also widely put out about the 7 day charge intent, for example https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-15/lon ... om-monday/
Charges for driving into the centre of the capital are normally only enforced on weekdays between 7am and 6pm, but the mayor is planning to extend this to between 7am and 10pm, seven days a week from from June 22.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 29th, 2020, 3:04 pm

1nvest wrote:Twas the link that gt94sss2 posted, immediately prior to my post, Within which ...

Thanks, I must have missed that post and link.

I just 7 days x £15/day x family of 2 cars that daily figure to arrive at the yearly amount.

I didn't query your calculations as I knew what you'd done.

The broad Press have also widely put out about the 7 day charge intent, for example https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-15/lon ... om-monday/

I don't usually bother reading what the press say, as I prefer the prime sources.

That's why I asked about the Congestion Charge residents' discount which I don't think is answered in your link to an ITV Report but, either way, it doesn't feature in your calculations for a 2 car family living within the Congestion Zone as you believe there's to be no CZ residents discount anymore which is not what I've seen and reported earlier in this thread.

Did you miss that part of my reply to you?

Don't misunderstand me, this being London lovers I'm trying to find out the actualité but, as it happens, I studiously avoid the entire CZ area entirely due to ULEZ [ignoring any recent temporary relaxation measures as per my OP and I don't intend to drive there on a Christmas Day].

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » August 12th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Has anyone tried travelling into/through London recently ?
So many roads are being reduced in width in order to allow cyclists their own lane, with most lanes hardly being used apart from possibly 2 hoours tops each way, each day,yet unlike bus lanes which are sensibly timed to allow buses/PSV's exclusive access when traffic is at its busiest & free for all other users outside these predetermined hours, these lanes are for cyclists alone, 24/7. Thus chaos on many routes.
If you would prefer to use tube/dlr as I do the service is a laughing stock, before Covid we had a superb system but since we are all trying to return to normal City Hall appears to be doing its very best to ensure as many people stay home as possible.
Am I just a grumpy old man or are others finding the same frustrations ?

Return to “London lovers”