Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tennis - Restricted Play

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
feder1
Lemon Slice

Tennis - Restricted Play

Postby feder1 » May 21st, 2020, 10:30 am

Some outdoor clubs have just commenced this with a raft of safety rules for two players per court.

I haven't gone for it owing to fear but has anyone had a go?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Tennis - Restricted Play

Postby redsturgeon » May 21st, 2020, 11:58 am

feder1 wrote:Some outdoor clubs have just commenced this with a raft of safety rules for two players per court.

How do you avoid both touching the balls?

John

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » May 21st, 2020, 12:07 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
feder1 wrote:Some outdoor clubs have just commenced this with a raft of safety rules for two players per court.

John

I think each player provides their own balls, differently marked, and you must only pick up your own balls.

At my age I only play doubles so not allowed back on court yet.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 21st, 2020, 12:24 pm

redsturgeon wrote:

John

You could wear gloves. But why would it concern you so much to avoid touching a tennis ball touched by one other person? If your risk aversion was as high as that then I doubt you would be out driving to play anyway (with a higher risk of incident).

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 21st, 2020, 12:30 pm

dealtn wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

You could wear gloves. But why would it concern you so much to avoid touching a tennis ball touched by one other person? If your risk aversion was as high as that then I doubt you would be out driving to play anyway (with a higher risk of incident).

It doesn't concern me, I don't play tennis. Just interested as I'd imagine that some process had to be in place to stop both players touching the same balls in order for the clubs to open. It seems there is.

John

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 21st, 2020, 12:38 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
dealtn wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

It doesn't concern me, I don't play tennis. Just interested as I'd imagine that some process had to be in place to stop both players touching the same balls in order for the clubs to open. It seems there is.

John

Fair enough. I should have been clearer in using "you" in a general sense not "you" specifically.

The point I was making, again in general, was that life isn't absent of risk. Individuals have different points on that risk aversion spectrum, but regardless of where any individual sits, it would be rational to consider all risks, not just a very specific miniscule risk in isolation.

Individuals do find it very hard to behave "rationally" though, particularly when risks are so small they are mathematically "tail events", especially so when the consequences of those tail events can also be very significant.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 21st, 2020, 4:23 pm

dealtn wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
dealtn wrote:

John

Fair enough. I should have been clearer in using "you" in a general sense not "you" specifically.

The point I was making, again in general, was that life isn't absent of risk. Individuals have different points on that risk aversion spectrum, but regardless of where any individual sits, it would be rational to consider all risks, not just a very specific miniscule risk in isolation.

Individuals do find it very hard to behave "rationally" though, particularly when risks are so small they are mathematically "tail events", especially so when the consequences of those tail events can also be very significant.

My daughter recommenced tennis training yesterday
- more hand washing
- no spectators
- coaching from stand only

It's probably one of the easiest sports in which to maintain a sensible social distance
-sd

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”