Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

How will clubs survive this?

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: How will clubs survive this?

Postby dealtn » May 22nd, 2020, 11:01 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52680375

The uncomfortable realities lower down the pyramid.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » May 24th, 2020, 9:02 am

Not at all unexpected.
Meanwhile the upper echelon of players remain on their superstar wages?

Something has to give.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 24th, 2020, 11:09 am

Leothebear wrote:Not at all unexpected.
Meanwhile the upper echelon of players remain on their superstar wages?

Something has to give.

You don't know what wages players are on and what makes them. There will be elements of performance related, so they will have dropped anyway.

As contracts expire, they will roll on to lower ones, its economics. That's how it "gives". In the same way that movie stars and musicians will be rewarded for the £ they bring in, so will sports stars. The quantum of that £ will be lower going forward.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » May 25th, 2020, 11:37 am

Well it seems to me that football with no spectators will be worth a fraction of what the TV providers have paid in the past.

Deferring the wages of the players is simply delaying the pain.

Phil Hodgkinson's view:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52790371

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 25th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Leothebear wrote:Well it seems to me that football with no spectators will be worth a fraction of what the TV providers have paid in the past.

Deferring the wages of the players is simply delaying the pain.

Phil Hodgkinson's view:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52790371

He talks a lot of sense.

It's not obvious what the TV will pay for games without spectators. They have already paid for games that haven't been played yet, and likely by the time new contracts are negotiated spectators will be back anyway.

In the interim TV companies are likely to be able to show a greater proportion of games, including the traditional Saturday 3pm slot, and those who would be attending, or in pubs, will likely be at home. Advertising rates for those kind of audiences might be higher than if "normal" football was taking place.

It will be a struggle for most clubs to operate in a manner that covers their costs and obligations going forward. A significant number weren't doing so pre-Covid.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » May 28th, 2020, 9:23 pm

So . . . the Premier League returns on 17 June.

Tried watching a couple of the Bundesliga games but obviously I wasn’t missing football that much as I only lasted about 10 minutes on each and that’s with being lucky enough to catch a goal or two.

Remains to be seen whether the PL without fans is any better. At least it should mean that Liverpool get to claim the title at least.

HYD

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » May 28th, 2020, 10:35 pm

‘All remaining 92 games will be shown live on TV’

Wow. I don’t pay to watch tv (other than the licence fee) so I guess if you are a Sky/BT subscriber, you might start getting value money for a short while.

You just need to select the ‘fake crowd noise’ audio option if such a thing exists.

HYD

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 30th, 2020, 5:20 pm

fca2019
2 Lemon pips

Postby fca2019 » May 31st, 2020, 7:00 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Tried watching a couple of the Bundesliga games but obviously I wasn’t missing football that much as I only lasted about 10 minutes ...
Remains to be seen whether the PL without fans is any better.

Yeah, I found the Bundesliga ok for 10 mins at a time. Basically like watching a training game or pre season friendly. It's not the same without fans. I couldn't watch more than 10 mins, certainly not a whole match. I'm sure the PL will be the same, and they'll be excitement at first and that will fizzle out quick. Better than nothing, but don't think can get back into it until eventually starts with fans.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » May 31st, 2020, 7:13 am

I presume it is a bit like a live gig without an audience.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » June 1st, 2020, 10:30 am

Howyoudoin wrote:‘All remaining 92 games will be shown live on TV’

Wow. I don’t pay to watch tv (other than the licence fee) so I guess if you are a Sky/BT subscriber, you might start getting value money for a short while.

You just need to select the ‘fake crowd noise’ audio option if such a thing exists.

HYD

I think as part of the deal there are a chunk of games getting shown free to air, see link.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... t-18337984

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » June 1st, 2020, 10:34 am

fca2019 wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Tried watching a couple of the Bundesliga games but obviously I wasn’t missing football that much as I only lasted about 10 minutes ...
Remains to be seen whether the PL without fans is any better.

Yeah, I found the Bundesliga ok for 10 mins at a time. Basically like watching a training game or pre season friendly. It's not the same without fans. I couldn't watch more than 10 mins, certainly not a whole match. I'm sure the PL will be the same, and they'll be excitement at first and that will fizzle out quick. Better than nothing, but don't think can get back into it until eventually starts with fans.

The lack of a crowd does not work for games the viewer has little interest in, I am hoping when games I care about are shown I can overcome the issue, zone into the game and ignore the lack of atmosphere.

If Scottish football restarts I believe Rangers and Celtic have been speaking to the producers of Lord of the Rings to use some of their footage to replicate the fans; the scenes before the fighting kicks off at Helms Deep certainly could be used for an old firm game.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 1st, 2020, 11:45 am

Charlottesquare wrote:

HYD

I think as part of the deal there are a chunk of games getting shown free to air, see link.

Indeed.

Separately, i've heard, and I'm not sure how true this is, that no two Premier League games will be played at the same time and therefore the kick offs will be staggered at the following times:

Saturday KO's at 12.30pm, 3pm, 5.30pm and 8pm
Sunday KO's at 12pm, 2pm, 4.30pm and 7pm
Monday 8pm
Tues 6pm, 8pm
Weds 6pm, 8pm
Thurs 6pm, 8pm
Fri 8pm

If true, should make for some great weekend pub sessions if they open the things up soon.

HYD

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » June 1st, 2020, 12:01 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:

HYD

Indeed.

Separately, i've heard, and I'm not sure how true this is, that no two Premier League games will be played at the same time and therefore the kick offs will be staggered at the following times:

Saturday KO's at 12.30pm, 3pm, 5.30pm and 8pm
Sunday KO's at 12pm, 2pm, 4.30pm and 7pm
Monday 8pm
Tues 6pm, 8pm
Weds 6pm, 8pm
Thurs 6pm, 8pm
Fri 8pm

If true, should make for some great weekend pub sessions if they open the things up soon.

HYD

Pubs with outside TV screens and beer gardens might flourish.

I heard likewise re the timing from my daughter who is furloughed a, she was certainly planning to binge; it will possibly be similar to her lack of chocolate restraint at Easter when small, after a short period she may become nauseous.

I must admit that during World Cups my game limit tends to be two a day, anything more is too much.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 6th, 2020, 11:35 am

Good news for those of us without a tv sports subscription. A lot of games will be shown for free on Freeview Channel 11.

33 Premier League matches to be shown for free on TV – how to watch them

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... e-free-to/

HYD

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 6th, 2020, 6:52 pm

Thankfully, it looks like crowd noises will be artificially generated for many of the coming Premier League matches -

Think watching behind-closed-doors football matches are boring without boisterous fans creating an atmosphere? If you're nodding your head, then you might enjoy what one English broadcaster has done today.

Fans tuning in to BT Sport's coverage of German Bundesliga matches were surprised to hear crowd noise and goal celebrations dubbed on the live action.

It is a concept which the company will also use for its Premier League coverage. Sky Sports is expected to do the same when the English top-flight restarts on 17 June.

The simulated noise during the German games - Bayer Leverkusen v Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund v Hertha Berlin - created a stir among viewers, splitting opinion among those discussing the move on Twitter.

Player-turned-presenter Gary Lineker and commentator Jacqui Oatley were among those in favour...

Gary Lineker - Watching the @Bundesliga_EN on @btsport and the manufactured crowd noise is definitely better than the eerie silence that comes with behind closed doors football. Helps the commentators too, I reckon. Not like the real thing, of course, but better.

Jacqui Oatley - I’m actually getting a weird adrenaline rush watching this match with the crowd noise. Feels like “proper” football is back and it’s helping get the @premierleague and @EFL juices flowing...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52947598 (17.46pm entry)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 12th, 2020, 11:22 pm

“The Premier League announces that players’ names will replaced on the back of their shirts with ‘Black Lives Matter’ for the first 12 games of the restarted season.

Players who ‘take a knee’ before or during matches will be supported.”

Players taking a knee during matches sounds like fun doesn’t it?

Sigh.

HYD

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 16th, 2020, 4:15 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53028314

Over 1,400 out of contract footballers in limbo waiting for news on what next season will look like.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » June 16th, 2020, 10:07 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:If Scottish football restarts I believe Rangers and Celtic have been speaking to the producers of Lord of the Rings to use some of their footage to replicate the fans; the scenes before the fighting kicks off at Helms Deep certainly could be used for an old firm game.

BEFORE the fighting kicks off! How is that authentic?

;)

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » June 16th, 2020, 10:56 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:“The Premier League announces that players’ names will replaced on the back of their shirts with ‘Black Lives Matter’ for the first 12 games of the restarted season.

Players who ‘take a knee’ before or during matches will be supported.”

Players taking a knee during matches sounds like fun doesn’t it?

Sigh.

HYD

There were a fair few players back in the 70s/80s who were very generous where they planted their knees (and studs)

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”