Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Where are you off to when lockdown lifts?

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Re: Where are you off to when lockdown lifts?

Postby Rhyd6 » May 31st, 2020, 3:58 pm

Lucky all of you, we're going to be allowed to travel a wholse 5 miles from home!!!! Not a hell of a lot to choose from I fear, unfortunately it may mean that people looking for a lovely area in which to take a walk will descend on us, which will certainly destroy the wonderful peace and quiet we've enjoyed since lockdown.

R6

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 10th, 2020, 11:12 pm

With the recent limited permissions received from our First Minister, I've been off to the local loch where the lonely Brown Trout have obligingly taken a fancy to sedgey-like flies in late evening. Unfortunately my gouty big toe has been playing up, so I have not troubled them for a few days. We have concluded, that as far as walks go, there is no advantage in first travelling 5 miles from our village. It would take a much larger mileage to reach more attractive areas - and even then, there may be the problem of too many others understandably trying to escape the conurbations. There were promising mentions from the First minister that if all goes well, there may be a re-opening of tourist activities in Scotland around mid July, so we may get our booked Autumn holidays in Pitlochry and Mull, although both the season of plays at Pitlochry and the Mendelssohn on Mull Festivals that we planned to attend have been cancelled.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » June 11th, 2020, 2:18 pm

Scotia my sympathies to you with regard to your gouty toe, OH suffers too and most people fail to realise what a painful condition it is. Hopefully the rod will be in use soon.

R6

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » June 15th, 2020, 12:20 pm

scotia wrote:Unfortunately my gouty big toe has been playing up, so I have not troubled them for a few days.

There is almost no other disease that people feel it is OK to find hilarious. Let all who laugh at it feel how they like the searing pain. For us sufferers: allopurinol.

DM

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 15th, 2020, 2:01 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
scotia wrote:Unfortunately my gouty big toe has been playing up, so I have not troubled them for a few days.

There is almost no other disease that people feel it is OK to find hilarious. Let all who laugh at it feel how they like the searing pain. For us sufferers: allopurinol.

DM

I agree with the hilarious comment :D I have (in the past) had blood samples taken, and X-rays performed - and the results were borderline - is it Gout, or is it physical damage to the joint? I think my GP would need little encouragement to put me on allopurinol - and other acquaintances swear by it, but possibly foolishly I have been trying to avoid long term medication. This last severe bout (from which I'm just recovering) would definitely have sent me back to the surgery in normal times.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » June 15th, 2020, 5:24 pm

OH has been on allopurinol for a couple of years now and has not had a twinge. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet so to speak. Good luck whatever you decide.

R6

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 15th, 2020, 6:20 pm

Commiserations to all fellow gout sufferers. (Been on allopurinol for 30 years.) There's a reason why the medical profession takes gout pain seriously - and it's because a really bad attack can be right up the pain scale alongside some very much nastier ailments. :|

There are doctors (female) who say that it's worse than childbirth. I'll take their word for that. And unlike childbirth, you can get it twice a month. ;) I used to get it in my ankle joints, and that crocks you up so you can't really move at all. Not only that, but there's really no resting position that eases the pain - once those little ground-glass splinters are ripping into your joints, every direction you move is as bad as all the others. You just have to lie there and whimper for the four hours or so that it'll take for any medication to take effect. On a really bad night, I could see how some people would feel like hurling themselves out if a high window.

They used to prescribe Voltarol for my occasional gout attacks, but then they discovered that it was causing gastric ulcers and other nasties for many patients, so they shifted me to allopurinol as a permanent preventative. And damn me, it works. Haven't had more than a ghost of a pain in three decades. I still keep a few Voltarols in my rucksack, though. Wouldn't want to be going up a mountain with a full-on gout attack - or, worse, coming down. Sometimes all it takes to set it off is a wrench to your ankle, and then the acid takes it from there. :cry:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ent.health

BJ

Return to “Around the UK”