Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

New Microsoft Edge crashing

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Wizard
Lemon Quarter

New Microsoft Edge crashing

Postby Wizard » June 29th, 2020, 11:00 am

I was recently forced to upgrade the version of Microsoft Edge I run on my computer. Having installed the new version I am finding it is crashing multiple times a day with no warning, no error message and nothing recovers when it is restarted. I have tried searching online but can only find quite old references to this happening on what I think was an older version of Edge.

Has anyone come across this issue and any solution for it?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: New Microsoft Edge crashing

Postby Urbandreamer » June 29th, 2020, 11:30 am

Wizard wrote:Has anyone come across this issue and any solution for it?

One solution, but probably not the one that you want, is to use a different browser.

I mostly use firefox, but have to use Internet Explorer (NOT EDGE) to access my P60's.

Some people like Chrome, but I've always regarded it as bloated.

Opera has a lot of fans.

If you can read it, this article talks about the options.
https://uk.pcmag.com/gallery/124147/chr ... er-is-best

Do you have a strong reason to use a browser that crashes a lot? Sorry, I mean to use Edge as your browser?

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 29th, 2020, 11:40 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
Wizard wrote:Has anyone come across this issue and any solution for it?

One solution, but probably not the one that you want, is to use a different browser.

I mostly use firefox, but have to use Internet Explorer (NOT EDGE) to access my P60's.

Some people like Chrome, but I've always regarded it as bloated.

Opera has a lot of fans.

If you can read it, this article talks about the options.

Do you have a strong reason to use a browser that crashes a lot? Sorry, I mean to use Edge as your browser?

I changed to Brave a year ago and have never looked back. A really fast Chromium based browser.

All the best, Si

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 29th, 2020, 11:43 am

The best A/B would be to try another Chromium based browser (Chrome, Brave et al) and see if you have the same issues, if not then it must be something unique to Chromium Edge, maybe in its advanced settings.

For those that haven't had the Edge upgrade foisted upon them yet it is possible to block it and stay on the older non Chromium version of Edge ...https://www.google.com/search?q=blockin ... e&ie=UTF-8

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » June 29th, 2020, 12:31 pm

I have used the new Edge a little and have not had any problems. It is probably the safest option on Windows 10 from a security point of view. Only one cook to spoil the broth.

I am using Google Chrome on Lubuntu 20.04. Firefox is much slower (particularly on Google News), and sometimes has problems with Google custom fonts (e.g on Google News and Street View). The new Edge is fast on Google news, so I expect that the other Chromium based browsers are too.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » June 29th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Thanks to all those that provided replies trying to help. It seems my wife may have come up with the answer, which frankly nobody on here could have provided. A while back the touch screen on the computer went a bit crazy, so it was disabled. It seems the update to Edge reversed that and re-enabled the offending touch screen. So it was not Edge crashing, but being closed by phantom 'clicks' in the top right of the screen where the "x" is positioned for a window when it is maximised. Bit embarrassing, but glad it seems to be fixed now!

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 29th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Wizard wrote:Thanks to all those that provided replies trying to help. It seems my wife may have come up with the answer, which frankly nobody on here could have provided. A while back the touch screen on the computer went a bit crazy, so it was disabled. It seems the update to Edge reversed that and re-enabled the offending touch screen. So it was not Edge crashing, but being closed by phantom 'clicks' in the top right of the screen where the "x" is positioned for a window when it is maximised. Bit embarrassing, but glad it seems to be fixed now!

I was just about to suggest that ;)

--kiloran

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 29th, 2020, 2:24 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:I have used the new Edge a little and have not had any problems. It is probably the safest option on Windows 10 from a security point of view. Only one cook to spoil the broth.

I have used the new Edge a lot and it is now my default browser (having tried all the alternatives). I don’t really understand the lack of ‘love’ for it. It does what I want it to do well with no issue.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » June 29th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Swapped to Brave using duck duck go as the search engine no tracking no adverts
Yipee

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 29th, 2020, 3:16 pm

AF62 wrote:I have used the new Edge a lot and it is now my default browser (having tried all the alternatives). I don’t really understand the lack of ‘love’ for it. It does what I want it to do well with no issue.

I don't like it either. It's just too noddy, and it fills up my screen with crap about pop stars, and I haven't found out how to turn that off. Not to mention the execrable Bing, whose very name reeks of infantilisation. Grrrrr.

I've also found Edge to be a terrible resource hog in the past, although maybe that's no longer so bad as it was? On the plus side, it does seem to open some of the super-whizzo multimedia websites that Internet Explorer just won't handle any more. Think I'll stick with Chrome for now, though.

BJ

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 29th, 2020, 3:30 pm

AF62 wrote:I have used the new Edge a lot and it is now my default browser (having tried all the alternatives). I don’t really understand the lack of ‘love’ for it. It does what I want it to do well with no issue.

I, for example, like firefox. Others like Brave, or Chrome or .....
I even understand that some like Edge.

There are in fact both good and less good reasons to prefer one over another. However different people have different reasons.

At least one person who posted here believes that Edge is more secure, I'm not convinced. I'ed argue that firefox can be more secure and that there are other browsers that are even more secure out of the box.
https://restoreprivacy.com/secure-browser/

Brave uses less resources than Edge. Unimportant if you are happy spending a fair amount on your hardware.
Opera has a built in VPN, but I note that VPN's may be more important to some than others.

Opera and Brave have cryptocurrency wallets which Edge doesn't. However not everyone needs one.

What surprises me is that other people choosing something else (other than Edge) is seen as odd.

Ps, those who use Linux but really LOVE the Edge browser will soon be able to choose it. Though they can't yet.
https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/2 ... for-linux/

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 29th, 2020, 4:26 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I don't like it either. It's just too noddy, and it fills up my screen with crap about pop stars, and I haven't found out how to turn that off. Not to mention the execrable Bing, whose very name reeks of infantilisation. Grrrrr.

So just change the start page and set Google (or whatever your preferred search engine is) to be the default! 30 seconds work.

bungeejumper wrote:I've also found Edge to be a terrible resource hog in the past, although maybe that's no longer so bad as it was?

No complaints from me about that, and that is mainly why I changed from Chrome.

Urbandreamer wrote:What surprises me is that other people choosing something else (other than Edge) is seen as odd.

It wasn't someone choosing not to use Edge, it was the automatic dismissal of Edge.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » June 29th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:

I, for example, like firefox. Others like Brave, or Chrome or .....
I even understand that some like Edge.

There are in fact both good and less good reasons to prefer one over another. However different people have different reasons.

At least one person who posted here believes that Edge is more secure, I'm not convinced. I'ed argue that firefox can be more secure and that there are other browsers that are even more secure out of the box.
https://restoreprivacy.com/secure-browser/

Brave uses less resources than Edge. Unimportant if you are happy spending a fair amount on your hardware.
Opera has a built in VPN, but I note that VPN's may be more important to some than others.

Opera and Brave have cryptocurrency wallets which Edge doesn't. However not everyone needs one.

What surprises me is that other people choosing something else (other than Edge) is seen as odd.

Ps, those who use Linux but really LOVE the Edge browser will soon be able to choose it. Though they can't yet.
https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/2 ... for-linux/

By "best from a security point of view" I meant least likely to be hacked. Google and Microsoft do collect lots of data, but that does not really matter to me. It does not do them much good either, because I use an add blocker.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”