Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hattrick Season 75

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Hattrick Season 75

Postby Donut102 » June 8th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Well we're into a new season:

Div IV

I've always used my main team a cup contender, with my second team being used to try and climb the league ladder. Currently training Wing.
The Cup R2 game on Tuesday looks straight forward, but I'm going with my first team - 2 Wingers and 2 Wingbacks in the training positions, and first team players else where.
Therefore for the League game I was going to be training my two main strikers plus two long term (striker) trainees. Which meant if I put them in the training positions, I wouldn't have any strikers to play up front.
Opponent finished 3rd last season, and my record against him was D2 L2 - so really not expecting much out the game.
Played around with some AOW formations, but settled in the end on 550 Long Shot, mainly because if I'm playing 4 strikers I might get a reasonable tactic rating. My track record with long shots isn't great, but then the game was already kinda written off...
We won 3-0 :)
Currently in 1st place.

A nice start to the season.

Div V

Main aim of this team is to try and win league trophies. First game of the season against 3rd away from home. Training PM.
The form update last Thursday screwed me before kick off. My 4 main midfielders all got knocked down to weak form, when winning possession was always going to be a battle away from home.
We lost 5-2 belittles the closeness in ratings. I'll have my revenge in the return leg! (In 15 weeks time.....)
Currently in 8th place.

So after 1 week my Cup team is storming the league and my League team is in the relegation zone.
I'm so glad I spent the two weeks in the off season planning the next 16 weeks (sigh).
Back to the drawing board....

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Re: Hattrick Season 75

Postby Eastheath » June 9th, 2020, 12:26 am

my season has started with a whimper.....
Away to a promoted team, they look decent and I felt a 4-3-3 CA might give us a chance of limiting their attack ratings while giving us a chance or two.
That was all put to bed after 29 min when my main IM got booked twice and sent off. I only have 3 IMs.
Within 10 mins they were 2-0 up, and the game eventually finished 3-0. Equal bottom on 0 pts, and next game home to a team I've not beaten yet in 4 games.
One of the promoted teams is beatable, and the team relegating in was a bot, so I thought we had a good chance of 6th. Except someone decided to swap places with the bot, and now we have another tough cookie in this league. Its going to be another struggle!

The up and coming Cup game is difficult, I could make it easier for myself with the 1st XI but I need my trainees to....well.....train. So much for cup glory!

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » June 9th, 2020, 4:49 pm

It's been a while since I posted here, but I'm still on Hattrick. This is my umpteenth season in IV.44. I've taken a renewed interest after some apparent success in Winger training following a financially poor period of GK training. Last season I had a good cup run, but only accumulated 7 points in the first 8 league games, then won the last six after buying a couple of new IMs, so finished third.

Cup R1 was straightforward against a newbie. League R1 was a potentially tricky home game against a seemingly unmanaged team (owner doesn't seem to have logged in for over a calendar year - when does it become bot?): they have a decent midfield, but aging defenders and forwards. I played my strongest team PIC and won 2-0. Cup tonight using second team PIC, including three or four players in poor form, though I really expect to win. MF may be even but I should win defence and attack ratings. I have a sub setup to boost MF I'm not winning after 50mins (or sooner if I'm losing). Assuming I win I will see what my next cup opponent looks like before deciding my Cup/League PIC/PIN 1st/2nd team strategy for next week. I'd like to get to 5th or 6th round in Cup for revenue and PIC opportunities, and do well in the league. The team that dropped from Div III is the clear strongest in the league. I would hope to finish 3rd at least again.

Coach has dropped to inad leadership late last season. I think it's week 9 or 10 before I can promote my coach-in-waiting with solid leadership.

I'd be interested to discuss Winger training strategies, Donut, as I think I'm doing Ok, but I've worked it all out by myself.

Cheers,

Kevster

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » June 11th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Good to see you again Kev.

Not sure I'm the best to help with Winger training. This is my first time ever training it, and I've only been doing it for a whole 10 weeks. Also probably switching back to PM soon.
The big problem is training players without PM in the Winger positions, and players with DEF in Wingback slots. A real pain if you're trying to get strikers trained up and be competitive - hence 550 Long Shot.

Binks IMTW and WTM works nicely if you have high PM trainees - just switch the players around between Sunday & Tuesday.

This Sunday I'm trying out 352 AOW - strikers in the Winger & Wingback slots, with my main Wingers both playing FTW and giving up on a normal striker in the forward slots.

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » June 11th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Thanks for the interesting comments about training. Perhaps my overall approach is different - I tend to train for the purpose of developing players in those primary positions, then selling to generate capital to invest elsewhere. Players in other positions are recruited with the intent that they are optimal for what I can afford at that time. I.e. If I buy a forward, he is going to be at least 24yo: I am not going to pay a premium for a younger player as a first team forward that can also get some winger training in a friendly.

For wingers, I am currently buying ~20yo PM9/10, Wing 9/10 and training to Wing 14/15 then selling. For WBs, I am buying 20/21yo Def 12-14, Wing 5/6 and training to wing 9/10 then selling. I don't use the forums much, but I had a look recently and couldn't find any discussions on ways of training, Are there any? I think I'm doing ok, but I had some doubts largely because when I come to sell a 22/23yo with IM9, W14 there are very few on transfer compare, which makes me think no-one else is doing this!

Related to the above, I also prefer to choose a training type and stick to it. Trying to train players in multiple skills surely means that they have aged and training positions are not optimally used, or you are not selling for income? The only variation I have is I usually do some SP training in the off-season when stamina training is also higher.

Cheers,

Kevster

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » June 12th, 2020, 11:02 am

Trying to train players in multiple skills surely means that they have aged and training positions are not optimally used, or you are not selling for income?

I figured out I was really bad at the transfer market. So I spend my money on Excellent coaches and train to retain, which inevitably means you're not always training efficiently with respect to age.
Also heavily reliant on YA trainees to backfill holes in the squad.

So my Winger (Primary) trainees were aged 30, 28, 28, & 27
The Secondary trainees were 25, 22, 19 & 19.
...which is the complete opposite of training young & selling on.
I'm trying to get my already mulitskilled players even better.
I should get another 4-6 seasons out of my 30 yr old.

To put this into perspective, my last outfield player was bought back in April 2018. I really don't trade much at all....

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » June 15th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Div IV

Currently in 1st place.
This week I was playing a team that switched to our league replacing a bot demoting from III. Thought it would be straight forward, and played the B team, keeping the A team for the Cup.
It was men against boys - 6-1 final score.

Still in 1st place.
The Cup game looks easy enough on Tuesday.
Next Sunday will be trickier. Playing a team that relegated from III two seasons ago, and finished 2nd last season. At home, and winnable - all depends on the Cup draw.
I've switched back to PM training this week as well.

Div V

Currently in 8th place.

Playing the team that finished 2nd last season, and I've lost both of the prior encounters.
That said, I was at home, and the secondary cup game is beyond my reach so played the A team.

I thought we did alright to hold them to a 3-3 draw and nick a point. However my excel spreadsheet predicted a 2-1 win to me based on the actual game ratings. Meh.

Up to 7th place, 5 points adrift of the leader after just two games. It's time to write this season off and just train.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » June 18th, 2020, 10:02 pm

Nice to see you back Kevster.

Well I didnt hold out much hope for a home win against a team I hadnt beaten in 3, but we got one, winning 4-1 at a relative canter. 3-4-3 against their 2-5-3, 7 chances to 4, I thought we would lose midfield but edged it 51/49. I get the impression home advantage is a little stronger these days.
Anyway, won1 lost 1 so far.

Cup game was meh, thought we had done enough to edge it with trainee forwards, but went down 3-2 to a late goal. So its the Conspirator Cup for us already...
Next league game is away to a promotee, I think we have a chance.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » June 23rd, 2020, 8:03 am

Div IV

Currently in 1st place.
Playing a team that relegated from III two seasons ago, and finished 2nd last season. At home, and winnable - all depends on the Cup draw.

Sunday went to plan, 4-2 final score.
Still in first and looking surprisingly good. Next week - playing 4th away from home, and quietly confident.

Div V

Up to 7th place, 5 points adrift of the leader after just two games. It's time to write this season off and just train.

Lost 2-1 at the weekend to the team currently in 1st, which actually isn't bad.
This week playing the only team worst than me, but away from home. I should win, and maybe then my season will get started.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » June 29th, 2020, 10:10 am

so how do you beat a team that plays 5-3-2, because I certainly dont know.
We were at home, saw that their defence is awesome (for our series) and they almost always go with a divine CA rating. Didnt expect to win so went pressing 4-3-3 to keep the score down. We lost 0-2, but there must be ways of nobbling such tactics.....
We stay in 6th, all bottom three in fact on 3 pts. Tough season coming up...
Last weeks Conspirator Cup game was won, we have a decent chance of winning this weeks too.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » June 29th, 2020, 10:53 am

so how do you beat a team that plays 5-3-2, because I certainly dont know.

I've had a quick look at your match. Your 4 man defense wasn't quite good enough vs their attack. Pressing didn't work as there were 15 chances in the match.

For the return leg I would go 253 AOA. Give up defense completely and set both WBs offensively. You don't need more midfield so Wingers offensive as well, and 3 forwards normal. All IMs offensive.
You also missed a Quick Pass and Technical vs Head special events by two of your strikers - which suggests the scoring skills on your strikers isn't high enough. Trade 'em or train 'em.

My week:
Div IV

Still in first and looking surprisingly good. Next week - playing 4th away from home, and quietly confident.

3-1 final score, and still in 1st 2 points clear. Tricky game next week (against 6th), and I may need to go 550 long shot as I don't think I'll penetrate his defenses.

Div V

This week playing the only team worst than me, but away from home. I should win, and maybe then my season will get started.

Yep, a 2-0 win. First win of the season, and it catapults me from 7th to 5th.

Playing 3rd at home next week, and I'm leaning towards 433 CA albeit lack of any formation experience...

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » June 29th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Week 2
I had a relatively tough opponent for Cup R3, but it looked winnable if I played for my first team PIN on Walking on Clouds TS, so I played my second team PIC in the league. I thought I had a chance of getting something with a bit of luck, but I didn't. Lost 1.4. Never mind onto the Cup...
I won in all areas of the pitch: got 56% possession, averaged 64% in defence and 71% in attack. That's a sure win, right? I got a single chance which was a penalty that my 16Sc/15SP penalty taker managed to miss. They got 6 chances and scored 2 of them. Out!

Week 3
Home match against least season's 5th placed team who managed to take 4 points off me in a double header last season. After that I won 6 on the trot. This time PIC and I won 5-2. Fair result.

Week 4
Away to last season's second-placed team, but they seem to be playing their second team in the league and going for a Cup run. They only have one point so far, but I was pleased to see them remain in the Cup last week, so I hoped they would play weak again. Yes, PIC away but still won 0-4.

On 9 points, second in the league. Next week home to current third who are newly promoted but I see them as my main competitor for second place at the end of the season. Still in the Conspirator Cup with a winnable-looking home game tomorrow.

Kevster.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » July 6th, 2020, 12:51 pm

thanks for the review Donut, will try those tactics in the return leg.

Kevster, that was a harsh Cup game result! Still you have recovered well in the league.

This week we went down 2-1 away, which was probably fair but I thought we might have nicked a draw on another day. Unfortunately the fourth defeat in five leaves us bottom of the table. A win would have put us 4th, so all is not lost yet. Except I'm not expecting to pick up too many points next week, at home to 2nd who are undefeated. Just that one crazy result where I lost to a weaker team by a last minute goal has tilted survival in the league away from me, and I have to recover from that.

In Conspirator Cup we are at home but up against an equally matched team. Just depends now on who plays their 1st XI or not...

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » July 6th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Div IV

Tricky game next week (against 6th), and I may need to go 550 long shot as I don't think I'll penetrate his defenses.

I went 550 LS, and opponent went 451 CA. With that formation they were never going to score unless it was a special event.
I only get magnificent in long shots - but it was enough to score a solitary goal. Final score 1-0.

In 1st place, 4 points clear of 2nd. Playing 4th next week who also likes 451 CA - could be 550 again.

Still in the main cup, but facing a monster team riding high in Division II. I've played 253 in every cup game, and I'm planning to 550 LS to pull a surprise. We'll see....

Div V

Playing 3rd at home next week, and I'm leaning towards 433 CA albeit lack of any formation experience...

I went for 433 CA vs opponents 352. I only got 1 CA opportunity which I missed, and suffered two negative confusion events by using the new formation.
However I got 4 normal chances vs opponents 7, and I converted 3 of them vs their 2. 3-2 final score.

Only my 2nd win this season, and the HT gods were smiling on me :)

In 5th, playing 1st away from home next week. Going 550 PIC & pray, to try and keep the score down!

Given neither of my teams are long shot optimised, I do find myself falling back on 550 quite a lot when facing monster defenses. Might need to upgrade my strikers....

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » July 8th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Still in the main cup, but facing a monster team riding high in Division II. I've played 253 in every cup game, and I'm planning to 550 LS to pull a surprise. We'll see....

I went 550 LS vs opponent 352 CA. It was in the end a finely balanced game. However, out of my 8 chances I converted none, and they scored 1 of their 5 chances. 0-1 final score.
On reflection I know my LS tactic strength isn't good enough, and my defence is not strong enough to keep a clean sheet, so 550 was a bit of a gamble.

But I thought I could nick it 1-0, or maybe 1-1 and then penalties, before the game. The stats after the game seemed to coincide with my pre-match predictions, so I've done something I've never done in Hattrick before - used 3 credits for a 20x replay.

That result was 9 wins for me, 6 draws, and 5 losses.

So I was unlucky, but not statistically enough to warrant a "I wuz robbed". Meh.

Still 1st in the league, and that is now the focus.....

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » July 13th, 2020, 1:34 am

Week 5
Conspirator Cup: Nice easy 6-1 home win and ca £75K income. But, my 32yo second-choice Keeper picked up a +5 injury in the 91st minute. He was due to be youthenated later this season following a bug training sale. I imagined that by the time he recovers his stamina will have dropped to 5 at most and his form would also be poor, so I thought I'd stick him on the transfer list at £1.8million. His transfer compare was close to £2mill average. I didn't think anyone would bite, but they did - 2 bids so sold at £1.836 million. I'm going to risk continuing with a single keeper, rather than buying a stopgap, until I have the finds for a proper purchase. Once I'm out of the conspirator cup, a youth team player will be put in goal for friendlies. If my remaining keeper gets crocked, I'll have to buy a keeper sooner.

League: I was in second, at home to Masya United, in third, and my closest competitor, I think, to challenge for second spot at the end of the season. Good game, 3-2 win on PIN. I took the lead, went 1-2 down, then their stamina faded and I won it.

Week 6
Conspirator Cup: Another home game. Looked close on paper and it was. 2-2 AET, so penalties. 5-3 to me final score (3-1 on pens)> And another >£80K income. Not to be sniffed at this second-tier cup! Home again next week and it looks winnable. Only problem is it means my sole keeper is playing twice a week.
League: Away to Madmen who are fourth. PIC on TS 6 would normally be a problem, but it was a straightforward 1-4 win; BUT my third choice (second choice on current form) forward got injured in 34th minute (one of those where commentator thought it would be 6-7 week injury, but was a +1 only) and 8 minutes later the sub second-choice forward got a +2 injury. So I've got a single forward at the moment. Maybe two by next weekend.

15 points after six game is pretty damn good (I had 7 points this stage last season).

The Double Header is against the top team, who routinely got 10 stars more than me. First is away, so I will PIC on TS7, expect to lose, then have a crack at the home fixture.

Kevster

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » July 14th, 2020, 12:25 am

In 8th, at home to team in 2nd. Thought we could edge midfield (which we did 51-49) but their defence was immense and our defence was good, but not as good as theirs. We even crocked one of their players on 12 mins, and had 5 chances to 4, but despite that the odds were not in our favour and we went down 1-2. The oppo are now 1st and we are still in 8th.
The weeks 7 and 8 head to heads are against 7th, who are a point above us. We are at home first, and the two games have become 6 pointers (each). If I don't at least win the home game, the season is well and truly over!
The Conspirator Cup game last week turned out to be easier than expected, a 4-0 win in which we scored three times in one fast and furious minute. This week its an equal match, so once again its a case of who wants it more - and plays their best XI. It wont be me, as I need to train in order to sell in order to buy and stay in this league.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » July 20th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Well, the first of the six pointers went my way but it was closer than I expected, 3-2, despite willing midfield 58/42. The result took me from 8th to 6th, and the return leg is going to be interesting. They will have the stronger midfield, being at home, and a match for me elsewhere on the pitch, so will have to think about this one, otherwise they will be 6th and I will be 8th again this time next week...
Oh, and for the record we went out of the conspirator cup 1-3. They wanted it more than I did, judging by the two tactical substitutions and three positional swaps they deployed. I also made two subs, but only because I forgot to take out the instructions from a previous game!

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » July 22nd, 2020, 11:49 pm

Week 7: I won my conspirator cup game 3-2 at home.

League: Away against the clear strongest team in the league on PIC. As expected, I lost 4-1. I dropped to third in the league on GD. The home game next week should be closer. I reckon the midfield should be close to 50/50 and we will each win the attack/defence battles, so it is a hard one to call. If I get anything from it it will be an achievement.

Week 8 Conspirator Cup update. It was only when I looked ay my earnings from the gate that I realised that this was on a neutral ground, not at home. I lost 0-1, which might have been a bit generous to me, but things were evening up towards the end as their lower stamina took effect.

Kevster

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » July 28th, 2020, 12:31 am

Away to the team that we beat 3-2 last week, and it was close again. Tried hard to avoid a defeat, as I didnt want to be bottom of the table again.
I loaded midfield, and as a result we edged it 49/51, but they ended up having 7 chances to our 3.
They took the lead in the first half, and I lost one of my top strikers to injury in the second half. Despite that, we nicked an equaliser.
And so it was at 90 mins........except in injury time we got the winner. 1-2.

So that puts us in 6th, a long way from safety but that's two wins on the trot and a welcome relief. Away next week to 2nd, it wont be pretty and we will be defending as best we can, just to keep the score down!

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”