Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Tax as a pensioner

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Re: Tax as a pensioner

Postby mickeypops » July 15th, 2020, 1:21 pm

I too thought it would be very complicated. I have three separate DB pensions, income from my SIPP in drawdown with HL, and the state pension to come later this year. To my surprise, HMRC dealt with it perfectly, applying most of my tax feed allowance to the largest DB, the remainder of the allowance to the next DB, and taxed the remainder at the appropriate rate.

I expected to have to self-assessment but it ain’t been necessary at all.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 16th, 2020, 7:41 am

How do you actually pay yourself from SIPPs and other pensions where there's a pot of shares/money? Do you tell the provider to pay me X amount per month? And how does this work if there's insufficient cash sitting in the account? Thanks.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 16th, 2020, 8:28 am

MrFoolish wrote:How do you actually pay yourself from SIPPs and other pensions where there's a pot of shares/money? Do you tell the provider to pay me X amount per month? And how does this work if there's insufficient cash sitting in the account? Thanks.

It's up to you to make sure the cash is there, either from dividends or by selling shares.

You tell the provider how much to pay you, and they run it through the payroll.

Scott.

Joe45
Lemon Pip

Postby Joe45 » July 17th, 2020, 11:16 am

MrFoolish wrote:How do you actually pay yourself from SIPPs and other pensions where there's a pot of shares/money? Do you tell the provider to pay me X amount per month? And how does this work if there's insufficient cash sitting in the account? Thanks.

I made this enquiry only yesterday with my SIPP provider, iWeb. I plan to commence drawdown next year. It's simply a case of completing a form stating how much you require (in my case a small monthly amount to utilise my personal tax allowance) and then making sure the SIPP account has enough cash to fund the payment each month.

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » July 23rd, 2020, 1:20 pm

My SIPP has a default of selling enough of your largest holding to generate sufficient free cash each month if insufficient dividends have arrived to cover the monthly pension payment.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 23rd, 2020, 1:24 pm

DrBunsenHoneydew wrote:

My SIPP has a default of selling enough of your largest holding to generate sufficient free cash each month if insufficient dividends have arrived to cover the monthly pension payment.

Interesting, who is that with? I presume they make a standard dealing charge for this? So if you were, say, £1 cash short, they would sell £1 worth of shares, and charge you a tenner or so for it?

Scott.

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » July 23rd, 2020, 1:36 pm

swill453 wrote:
DrBunsenHoneydew wrote:

Interesting, who is that with? I presume they make a standard dealing charge for this? So if you were, say, £1 cash short, they would sell £1 worth of shares, and charge you a tenner or so for it?

Scott.

It's a Cofunds account, which only holds "unit trusts" with no charge to sell.

xxd09
Lemon Slice

Postby xxd09 » July 24th, 2020, 9:37 am

Been doing it for 17 years
Decide how much money you need per year
Sell appropriate quantity of equity and/or bonds -keeping your Asset Allocation right a week or two before withdrawal so monies sitting in your cash account
Notify platform you want to withdraw the money
Calculate the amount of tax that has been charged -platforms usually charge at the 20% rate
If tax is too much reclaim using R55 form and reclaimed tax in your bank account within a month
That’s it
xxd09

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”