Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby dspp » July 30th, 2020, 4:16 pm

dealtn wrote:
dspp wrote:
dealtn wrote:
That reflects the problem surely. How long does it take to "refill" the BEV compared to the 2 minutes or so for ICE?

It's good to know the solution is being worked on, although I would hope it would be a "capitalist" solution not a "government" one.

Reportedly approximately 5% of the mileage done by Teslas does not require public (roadside) charging. They leave home every day full to the brim. That is the typical user feedback.

In contrast 100% of dino-juice charging is done at public filling stations.

Tesla build their own charging stations, just like Shell or any other commercial company. They can be a valuable asset, or perhaps in the case of petrol/diesel stations a devaluing stranded asset.

regards, dspp

The problem being though that 95% isn't then, and that it's the new users that are needed to transform the situation, not the existing ones.

Of course existing ones and their experiences (assuming they are good) are useful in this process, but I am currently struggling to see the BEV/ICE changeover happening at the speed some others see it (and from an investment perspective that TESLA benefit from most of this, and it isn't shared across multiple offerings).

Setting aside the societal view, and focussing on the TSLA-facing investment view:

- PHEV don't count, and the longer that ICE-mfg misunderstand that the more delayed their real BEVs will be;
- TSLA are ahead in every BEV respect we can discern (cost-base, technology, products shipping; product pipeline; charger network);
- TSLA lead is not obviously disappearing (I am not personally making any claims here it is growing, but I can definitely see it is not shrinking rapidly, so let us assume it is stable as a starting point);
- it is not time that the ICE-mfg need to catch up, it is cumulative volume-sold as that is what drives the cost-base and build-capacity;
- for so long as demand is subdued then TSLA will capture an increasing share of that demand;
- and we see that "no-demand problem" in the sales data, at least so far, because TSLA are able to sell everything they build (hence such low inventory) and are running as hard as they can to build more capacity;
- and as TSLA scale and improve products (both cost levers matter), so they pass that on to consumers in the form of lower prices;
- which makes the price/cost/margin entry barrier worse for legacy ICE;
- and that will impair ICE-manufacturers trying to make the switch, much more than it impairs TSLA;

So my goldilocks scenario is the one where the TSLA capacity build-out rate can continue on its 50% yoy growth path unimpeded by competition, such that (say) TSLA would have captured 50% of the annual BEV market by then, up from its (reported) current 25% in the car/light-truck segment. If that were to come about TSLA would be doing 20m-30m vehicles per year at that point, and all the rest would be doing 20-30m, meaning that the global market (80m/yr) would be about 1/2-3/4 transitioned to BEV. If the remainder were split equally between 5 companies then, using the 20m number we would see 20m (TSLA-BEV) + 5x4m(non-TSLA-BEV) + and 40m(ICE). That would mean that the TSLA economies of scale would be 5x that of the nearest competitor. Just assume for a moment that in getting to 4m BEV someone like VAG had lost a corresponding 4m from their ICE sales, (so no aggregate loss in volume at all) that would mean that VAG (group) would be doing 4m BEV and ~6m ICE. If that pathway were to eventuate (and I think it is very much a high-case pathway, but hats off to TSLA they keep delivering) then TSLA would pass VAG (and Toyota) in both revenue terms and units terms in the late 2020s.

The problem with those scenarios is that the common view is that a trad-auto company cannot withstand more than about a 10% drop in sales before it implodes as its fixed costs cannot be balanced against its gross profits. Reading around there is negligible ICE R&D going on any more, it has all been switched over to transiting to BEV (the PHEV stuff and FCEV and H2EV is I suspect also suspended, with just the marketeers left to spin tales). So the trad-auto all know this. So at 80m/yr total market, when TSLA hit 8m/yr then all the trad-auto should go bust. However those that are segmentally more TSLA exposed would in fact go under first, with BMW being the rabbit in that headlights, followed by Audi and MB. In the Audi case VAG can ease their pain, but MB and BMW are both seriously pants down. Now 8m/yr could come as early as 2027, and of course it would be even worse for legacy if folk like BYD can build volume as well, by some counts it could come as early as 2024.

My point is that although I am used to seeing these transitions take 20-40 years, quite early on in this one - perhaps less than 5-10yrs away - we may well start seeing trad auto companies going bankrupt and there being no value in trying to resurrect them. Which for sure as heck would accelerate the transition. So although it is covid-19 that is at fault today, the headlines (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... six-months) such as VAG dividend cuts and losses, may only just be starting in earnest,

Volkswagen AG cut its dividend after losing 2.4 billion euros ($2.8 billion) in the second quarter, when the Covid-19 pandemic shuttered showrooms and factories in key markets. The German manufacturer lowered its proposed 2019 payout by a quarter to help save roughly $1 billion after global deliveries contracted in the six months through June. VW expects markets to recover in the second half after business in July improved from the previous month.

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to hold on to my shares in TSLA, but equally I really can't bring myself to see a value proposition in VAG. And yet I think VAG (and Renault-Nissan) are making the best fist of a legacy transition attempt.

Looked at like this, transforming the charging system is a trivial part of the problem. After all look what TSLA has managed with really very little outlay - it gets easier from here. That 5% is demonstrably solvable.

regards, dspp

image source courtesy TSLA, at https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/2019-te ... report.pdf

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 30th, 2020, 4:17 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
As I don't have access to internal company documents I can't verify that it is true, but although one can show that registrations have fallen in some European and Scandinavian markets, Tesla continue to increase sales as reported in their various accounts.

I can find no reason not to believe their statement, but of course every investor has to decide for his/her self.

Regards,

Where can I find these reported sales?

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » July 30th, 2020, 4:23 pm

dealtn wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
As I don't have access to internal company documents I can't verify that it is true, but although one can show that registrations have fallen in some European and Scandinavian markets, Tesla continue to increase sales as reported in their various accounts.

I can find no reason not to believe their statement, but of course every investor has to decide for his/her self.

Regards,

at

https://ir.tesla.com/events-and-presentations

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 30th, 2020, 4:27 pm

dspp wrote:
dealtn wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:

Regards,

at

I know you are trying to be helpful (and I didn't ask the question of you) but I can't see, at least initially, where this backs up the statement "continue to increase sales as reported in their various accounts." Obviously the global pandemic and economic adjustment are factors here, but sales look to be down, which isn't an increase.

I will keep looking and reading.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » July 30th, 2020, 5:09 pm

dealtn wrote:
dspp wrote:
dealtn wrote:

at

I know you are trying to be helpful (and I didn't ask the question of you) but I can't see, at least initially, where this backs up the statement "continue to increase sales as reported in their various accounts." Obviously the global pandemic and economic adjustment are factors here, but sales look to be down, which isn't an increase.

I will keep looking and reading.

There is quarterly variation, but broadly speaking I would say that TSLA are indeed producing at capacity and showing no signs of a demand problem. One can always find a quarterly downer to quibble over, but the direction of travel is good given the covid-19 issues in the last quarter, and the reported production run-rates in the earnings call (read the transcript in that link) which indicate that the capacity is really coming onstream in this quarter. I'm not saying that buying TSLA at this shareprice is a good idea, just trying to observe objectively what is the actual situation.

Must dash, dspp

[edit : to give the snapshot with the inventory line showing]

[edit : comment - this is better data than you will find anywhere else :) ]

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » July 30th, 2020, 5:24 pm

dspp wrote:Looked at like this, transforming the charging system is a trivial part of the problem. After all look what TSLA has managed with really very little outlay - it gets easier from here. That 5% is demonstrably solvable.

regards, dspp

image source courtesy TSLA, at https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/2019-te ... report.pdf

impressive piece of analysis.

the loose end that I keep worrying at in your assessment is that it is mixing global scale (manufacturing volumes/learning curves) with regional judgements (availability of charging network roll out).
There are big chunks of the world that account for sizeable volumes, that do not have the basic electrical infrastructure on which to build charging points.
This will result in slowing everyone down in terms of ICE/BEV tipping point, and allow others the chance of catching up.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 30th, 2020, 9:33 pm

TUK020
There are big chunks of the world that account for sizeable volumes, that do not have the basic electrical infrastructure on which to build charging points.
This will result in slowing everyone down in terms of ICE/BEV tipping point, and allow others the chance of catching up.

There are also big chunks of the world that do have the basic electrical infrastructure, with all the advanced economies having the capability to generate renewable energy, get it to where its needed and build the capacity to store it.

imho it makes sense to go for the best markets first and then worry about the developing nations later. India is a good example of the latter, but one that has the capability to do "a china" and catch up if it really wants to and I imagine that before long it will really want to, to make itself mostly independent of hydrocarbon suppliers and keep it strong relative to its potential enemies in China and Pakistan. Russia might like to keep an ICE transportation fleet due to its large reserves of hydro-carbons, but the case for BEV is imho overwhelming and this will make Russia take the necessary measures. Africa is already getting a lot of Chinese money and the likely development path is BEV not ICE.

So imho rather than the less advanced areas of the world slowing down the ICE/BEV tipping point, they are more likely to leap frog over the oil economy and become electric and thence create demand. The more prosperous people will adopt the Apple model, i.e. buy iPhones, (Tesla) the less prosperous will adapt the Google model and buy home grown BEV.

Regards,

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » July 31st, 2020, 10:08 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
TUK020

There are also big chunks of the world that do have the basic electrical infrastructure, with all the advanced economies having the capability to generate renewable energy, get it to where its needed and build the capacity to store it.

imho it makes sense to go for the best markets first and then worry about the developing nations later. India is a good example of the latter, but one that has the capability to do "a china" and catch up if it really wants to and I imagine that before long it will really want to, to make itself mostly independent of hydrocarbon suppliers and keep it strong relative to its potential enemies in China and Pakistan. Russia might like to keep an ICE transportation fleet due to its large reserves of hydro-carbons, but the case for BEV is imho overwhelming and this will make Russia take the necessary measures. Africa is already getting a lot of Chinese money and the likely development path is BEV not ICE.

So imho rather than the less advanced areas of the world slowing down the ICE/BEV tipping point, they are more likely to leap frog over the oil economy and become electric and thence create demand. The more prosperous people will adopt the Apple model, i.e. buy iPhones, (Tesla) the less prosperous will adapt the Google model and buy home grown BEV.

Regards,

Tuk,
I'll second ody's points on this matter. These days I work on building global high voltage grid infrastructure. I go most places, and the places I don't go you will still find my clients, building everything that is significant in grid terms from 11kV to 1,200kV. I cannot think of a globally-significant marketplace for automotive that either cannot or will not make this transition. (That is one reason I keep such a close eye on this as it is also my day-job to do so). The more important the marketplace the faster they are making the transition, with the slight exception of Japan (where for various reasons they cherished the hydrogen dream, though that is now also being discarded by them, imho). Yes, I accept there may be niches where a dino-juice automotive dinosaur may still skulk and survive for 10-20 years longer than the rest-of-world but they will not be material in terms of holding back this transition.
regards,
dspp

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 31st, 2020, 9:49 pm

Lots of interest here with the guy making some comments on the possible end of bricks and mortar stores, stock split for Apple, some details on panasonic batteries and relationships with Tesla and then some fascinating comparisons between all the reported auto makers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha940IXnRiM

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » July 31st, 2020, 11:49 pm

This is a bit ponderous, especially as the start, but there is plenty of stuff in this Munroe article about Tesla.

Munroe, notes that Tesla regularly lies, regularly understating their performance.

On solid state batteries, he argues that if Tesla have this, then lots of current Tesla suppliers will have a very bad day. He thought the chance of them having a solid state battery as evens.

Munroe has some negative comments on the auto industries ability to innovate.

https://youtu.be/9l6DPwKHWpY

part 2 is scheduled for next week

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 1st, 2020, 9:53 am

Tesla safety report:

https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/128940 ... 11936?s=20

Tesla cars with all safety features engaged are nearly 10x safer than the average.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 1st, 2020, 9:56 am

Cleantechnica take on Tesla safety:

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/01/te ... 000-miles/

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 1st, 2020, 10:41 am

Some comments on the recent pod cast by Elon Musk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlNUr2ZFVTE

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 1st, 2020, 11:06 am

This is a fascinating 8 mins 20s video about VW.

This is not a company I have studied and so it would be super interesting to read any comments by folk here who are fans of VW.

If the video is roughly correct in its main themes then it seems certain to me that VW is doomed. A company with much of the voting interest held by folk who have no understanding of the technology coupled with a 20% stake held by the local state is a recipe for no change happening before it is too late.

According to this video, the now fired CEO made these points but was undermined by leaks from the board and then removed.

If this is what happened then VW imho is a far better short than Tesla as indeed is BMW.

Maybe this video is not correct, although the delay of the id3 is fact, it would be very interesting to learn of reasons why this video is false if someone has such comments, knowledge etc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsGMseGPj5s

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 3rd, 2020, 12:07 am

Seeing several articles like this, suggesting a merger between Tesla & VW:

https://youtu.be/qfSFiFV1DEA

Don't know what to think, seems so speculative that I think it's just nonsense, but...

Regards,

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 3rd, 2020, 9:32 pm

Couple of interesting reports in the last week:

German Court Suspends Driver For Adjusting Wiper Speed In Tesla Model 3

Although the driver said that the speedometer there makes it a "safety control panel," the court ruled it could not be considered as such when a quick gaze is not enough for him to check a submenu with five options. The driver would also be to blame because he had not "observed the care required in road traffic."

Easily dismissed. But would put me off buying a Tesla.

Like the German authorities, I wouldn't be happy with all the controls in layers on a touchscreen.

https://insideevs.com/news/436912/drive ... d-model-3/

And in the UK, Tesla's attitude to a customer spending £46,000 on a new car is interesting. No dealer to blame!

- see viewtopic.php?p=330639#p330639

regards

Howard

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 4th, 2020, 4:41 am

Howard wrote:Couple of interesting reports in the last week:

Although the driver said that the speedometer there makes it a "safety control panel," the court ruled it could not be considered as such when a quick gaze is not enough for him to check a submenu with five options. The driver would also be to blame because he had not "observed the care required in road traffic."

Like the German authorities, I wouldn't be happy with all the controls in layers on a touchscreen.

And in the UK, Tesla's attitude to a customer spending £46,000 on a new car is interesting. No dealer to blame!

regards

Howard

The court suspension was for the accident, the drivers excuse that it wasn't his fault as he was adjusting a control wasn't accepted.

As an investor one has to take into consideration how purchasers view a company & with Tesla they view the company very favourably.

The same can not be said about all the other car makers.

How this positivity towards Tesla can be an investment -ve is beyond me.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 4th, 2020, 10:38 am

Interesting Tesla daily making several good points about Tesla's -ve YouTube articles in quality, potential end of Fiat regulatory credits by end of 2021 and a whole load of stuff with the downer for many in the uk that the Cyber truck may nit be exported to Europe in its present form, that the the whole focus is for a US truck:

https://youtu.be/9NR1fZx_BIY

Regards,

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 4th, 2020, 2:35 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
Howard wrote:Couple of interesting reports in the last week:

regards

Howard

The court suspension was for the accident, the drivers excuse that it wasn't his fault as he was adjusting a control wasn't accepted.

As an investor one has to take into consideration how purchasers view a company & with Tesla they view the company very favourably.

The same can not be said about all the other car makers.

How this positivity towards Tesla can be an investment -ve is beyond me.

Regards,

Pretty hilarious comment, Ody.

Using the UK as an example:

1.65% of car buyers view Tesla favourably at the moment and 98.35% view other makers more favourably.

Pretty clear evidence that Tesla is not viewed very positively?

regards

Howard

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 4th, 2020, 3:24 pm

People don’t know what they want until you show it to them. That’s why I never rely on market research. Our task to read things that are not yet on the page

This was a quote made by Steve Jobs.

The amazing fact about Tesla is that they have reached the level they have without any advertising what so ever.

By contrast legacy are advertising like crazy for their old technology and it is therefore not surprising that most of the punters have no idea about Tesla.

Most of the people I meet have no clue about Tesla and their cluelessness is amusing.

The really great thing for me as a Tesla long is that there are a huge number of people who in the by and by are about to have an iPhone moment and realise that Tesla are better cars than anything else available.

Sure there are a lot of people, particularly on this board, who will never buy a Tesla for many reasons, but this board is not an average reflection of society.

Regards,

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”