Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Wine offers?

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Wine offers?

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 8th, 2020, 8:36 pm

My wine rack is looking distressingly empty. The Vouvray I just enjoyed is one of my last bottles :(

I usually refill it when there's a 25%-off-six-bottles-or-more offer. I think the last time was back in about November. I've been looking out for any such offer (one site I found through google predicted Tesco starting today), but no luck yet.

Anyone seen an offer? Or do I have to choose between paying full price and going without?

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Wine offers?

Postby sg31 » April 8th, 2020, 9:26 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:My wine rack is looking distressingly empty. The Vouvray I just enjoyed is one of my last bottles :(

I usually refill it when there's a 25%-off-six-bottles-or-more offer. I think the last time was back in about November. I've been looking out for any such offer (one site I found through google predicted Tesco starting today), but no luck yet.

Anyone seen an offer? Or do I have to choose between paying full price and going without?

I'm always on the look out for the 25% off deals. They usually abound around Easter but I doubt we will see any this year due to the current situation. I hope I'm wrong and will continue to keep watch.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 14th, 2020, 7:56 pm

Just bumping this thread to mention that Morrisons have a 'Buy 2 get 1 free' wine offer at the moment, running to 8th September -

https://groceries.morrisons.com/offers/buy-2-get-1-free-1005045285

There's clearly a trade-off with some of the single-bottle prices looking at the top of their normal ranges, but looking at some of my usual bottles, like the Trivento Reserve Malbec, being available with this offer at a per-bottle price of £5.66 per bottle is good value, so hopefully there's something in there for other's tastes too..

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 14th, 2020, 9:33 pm

Sainsbury's have had 2, 25% off deals in the last few weeks the last one was a couple of weeks ago. They tend to be for only about 5 or 6 days and they don't give much notice.

Asda have 2 for £10 deals occasionallly but nothing currently. Tesco haven't had a decent offer on since before last Christmas as far as I can remember.

I usually ignore Aldi and Lidl but due to the lack of decent offers elsewhere I have tried some of Aldi's wines and have been pleasantly surprised. Most in the Exquisite range are good. This seems to be the only one currently in stock. They do usually have others

https://www.aldi.co.uk/exquisite-austra ... 3004787600

Anything under the Estevez brand is usually good for the money.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/chilean-shiraz/p/704492400740000

The last 2 Primitivo wines I've had from Aldi have been excellent, I've not tried the current one.

As with all wines a lot is down to personal taste. I don't have expensive tastes, I prefer to buy decent wines as cheaply as possible by playing the various offers to best advantage. It's been a thankless task this year.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 14th, 2020, 11:23 pm

sg31 wrote:Sainsbury's have had 2, 25% off deals in the last few weeks the last one was a couple of weeks ago. They tend to be for only about 5 or 6 days and they don't give much notice.

Aaargh! Wish I'd known that one: I'd've not hesitated to make an online order.

Having moved somewhere with no Sainsburys, I miss their wines rather badly. The number of mediocre wines I've picked up at Morrisons, Tesco and Lidl tells me just how good (at least for my taste) Sainsburys' wine buyer is. At least, at my (stingy) price range.

There aren't many things for which I'd say Sainsburys is clearly best, but their cheap wine stands out!

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 15th, 2020, 1:27 pm

If I see another deal I'll try and remember to post it.

Last year I was doing a regular post of the offers in Beerpigs Snug. It hasn't been worth doing so this year.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 19th, 2020, 6:54 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Aaargh! Wish I'd known that one: I'd've not hesitated to make an online order.

Having moved somewhere with no Sainsburys, I miss their wines rather badly. The number of mediocre wines I've picked up at Morrisons, Tesco and Lidl tells me just how good (at least for my taste) Sainsburys' wine buyer is. At least, at my (stingy) price range.

There aren't many things for which I'd say Sainsburys is clearly best, but their cheap wine stands out!

Tesco are doing a 25% off 6 deal from 20/8 until the end of the month. This is the first deal this year from Tesco as far as I can remember.

These are worth a try, both £8 normally but they are on special offer at £6 so after the 25% off deal you will pay just £4.50.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /278363743

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /254192146

This is a quality wine. by stacking the offers you can buy for £7.50. To my mind it needs a year or so more in the bottle to soften the tannins but that's up to personal taste.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /304399039

If these don't suit your taste look for wines that are on special already, that's where the best value is.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 19th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Apparently Sainsburys are having their own offer from the 26th. It's likely to run for just a few days so don't miss it.

These look like good deals. Wines I like that are on special offer but also subject to the 25% off. Check before you buy because the specials can change.

£7.50
Normally £10, Not on special, it rarely is. My favourite budget red. I never miss a chance to buy it.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... ernet-75cl

£6.75
Normally £11, same family as the one below

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... -noir-75cl

£6,38
Normaily £10.50, always reliable

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... erlot-75cl

£4.50
Normally £8, also at the same price in Tesco

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... -7953670-p

I can't guarantee you will like them , so much is down to personal tastes. These are very decent wines in their price range, at these prices they are a great deal.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 19th, 2020, 10:47 pm

It's a curious thing. I find myself deeply suspicious of special offers on wines I don't recognise. I always imagine they were grossly overpriced in the first place so no-one was buying them, and the supermarket is having to hack down the price to shift their sticking stock.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 20th, 2020, 8:02 am

Mike4 wrote:It's a curious thing. I find myself deeply suspicious of special offers on wines I don't recognise. I always imagine they were grossly overpriced in the first place so no-one was buying them, and the supermarket is having to hack down the price to shift their sticking stock.

You can't apply that logic to a blanket 25%-for-six-bottles discount.

Some wines I frequently see discounted. Sometimes they're wines that would look a decent buy at full price. That then leaves the supermarket with canny customers who will wait for the discount rather than pay full price, but also with customers who will jump at it when they see the offer.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 20th, 2020, 10:38 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Mike4 wrote:It's a curious thing. I find myself deeply suspicious of special offers on wines I don't recognise. I always imagine they were grossly overpriced in the first place so no-one was buying them, and the supermarket is having to hack down the price to shift their sticking stock.

You can't apply that logic to a blanket 25%-for-six-bottles discount.

Some wines I frequently see discounted. Sometimes they're wines that would look a decent buy at full price. That then leaves the supermarket with canny customers who will wait for the discount rather than pay full price, but also with customers who will jump at it when they see the offer.

True, but I've never seen such an offer in any of the supermarkets I use. Maybe I should click on some of the links upthread! But having just joined the Wine Society their products seem uniformly good value so far. No turkeys yet - which is commonplace in supermarkets, given my inability to choose well.

This leads me onto a rant about Tesco and their single malt offers. They've had Talisker on the website for a couple of months at £30 instead of £47, an incredible bargain. I always order a couple with my online shopping but the Talisker never arrives. When other product lines are out of stock the website tells you but not Talisker, it is always available to order on line but it never arrives in the delivery.

I've concluded it is there to tempt people to keep ordering from Tesco in the hope of getting the bargain whisky which they don't keep in stock. I've certainly placed perhaps four orders with Tesco on this basis instead of Ocado now, hoping to get the Talisker and always being let down, before twigging what they are up to.

Similarly in the shop. There is a space on the whisky shelf for Talisker at £30 and I asked a staff member and she said "oh no we almost never get any of that, and its gone in a flash if we do", or words to that effect. I think they are using it as bait to drag the footfall in. Huh.

P.S. I inadvertently messed them about the other day. I ordered 3 bottles of the £30 Talisker and two kippers. A near £100 order. Just the kipper was delivered. I still think I paid £5 to have it delivered! But that is what set me wondering about what is going on....

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 20th, 2020, 10:49 am

Mike4 wrote:P.S. I inadvertently messed them about the other day. I ordered 3 bottles of the £30 Talisker and two kippers. A near £100 order. Just the kipper was delivered. I still think I paid £5 to have it delivered! But that is what set me wondering about what is going on....

Presumably you didn't have to pay the £4 penalty for not spending enough though.

Which leads to an interesting thought - if you only want a few bits and pieces, just add the Talisker onto the order to avoid the penalty charge. If they actually deliver it, it's a bonus!

Scott.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 20th, 2020, 1:43 pm

There's no doubt that can happen.

The ones I recommend are commonly in stock at Tesco, Sainsbury's and often ASDA, the prices before any offers are very close. Over the years I've tried most supermarket wines and I have a list of ones I like. I then buy in bulk when they're on special and there is a 25% off deal. Over a few months nearly all of them fall into that bracket. I generally have a stock of bottles in my store room so there is plenty to drink until the offers come around.

As you can see from the prices I've quoted the savings can be quite useful.

I'm not saying everyone will like them, tastes differ and someone who buys wine in the £20 range will probably not be keen on my choices. Each to their own. All I can say is I like them and I've never had a friend find them undrinkable. Let's face it at £4.50 you don't stand to lose much.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » October 5th, 2020, 10:16 pm

I recently ordered from Ocado a couple of cases of a Cremant de Loire demi sec that was discounted from nearly £15 to £10.
This arrived substituted with a better Cremant de Bourgogne that wasn't on offer at £15. And I I understand Ocado's pricing policy, the wine that arrived would have received the same promotional discount as the original.
So .... I immediately went to put through a further order for the Cremant de Loire demi sec in the hope that it also would be substituted when my wife reminded me that I may instead receive Cremant de Calais value ordinaire and that in any case the wine-racks were filling up.
it would have been an interesting tactic though.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 15th, 2020, 12:44 am

Cross post to LBYM - if you enjoy the "buy 6 get 25% off" type deals, you can increase your savings by using the supermarkets' Christmas Savings schemes.

VRD

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » October 15th, 2020, 1:34 am

vrdiver wrote:Cross post to LBYM - if you enjoy the "buy 6 get 25% off" type deals, you can increase your savings by using the supermarkets' Christmas Savings schemes.

I read that a minute ago but, to complete your cross-post, here's the link:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25682&p

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 15th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Tesco have 25% off 6 bottles between now and 5th November. That's online, but I presume in-store as well?

England and Northern Ireland, of course - Wales also, but subject to minimum pricing. https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/b ... top-offers

BJ

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 15th, 2020, 8:11 pm

Waitrose intermittently have a 25% in-store off six, which includes sherry and madeira. Was one last week. Perhaps online as well, but we don't do online food shopping.

Just to mention, we tend to follow Jane McQuitty in The Times as regards wine purchases. I think if one finds a critic whose taste buds coincide, that is a pretty sure-fire way to avoid duds.

This evening with dinner we drank one of her picks, a red Aninmus from Waitrose. a Portugese blend, cheap, but very palatable. The white is good as well, we regularly purchase both.
From Aldi, the Touraine Sauvignon is reliably good.
There are some bargains out there, one doesn't have to spend £££.

V8

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » October 16th, 2020, 1:16 am

bungeejumper wrote:Tesco have 25% off 6 bottles between now and 5th November. That's online, but I presume in-store as well?

Yes
It's back! Tesco are offering 25% off when you buy 6 or more bottles of selected wine or Champagne, and even better is that it works on some reduced wines too, so you can stack your savings! The offer is available online and in stores from 15th October to 5th November 2020.

https://www.playpennies.com/supermarket/25-off-when-you-buy-6-or-more-bottles-of-wine-or-champagne-tesco-180921

VRD

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 18th, 2020, 8:20 pm

I havent read the entiore thread so apologies iof thuis is already mentioned...

I recently bought something from espares.co.uk - it was just under a tenner.

When it arrived it came with a £75 voucher for a case of wine from naked wines. Whicvh brings the actual price you pay including delivery down to about £50 ... just over £4 a bottle paid or so. So it could be if you have something you ned to repalce with whatever device/thing you own that is malfunctioning, a small purchase off spares might get you the voucher.

You have to "join " their monthly or whatever club but you can cancel as soon as the box arrives - no further tie in.

didds

Return to “Drink”