Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Any printer recommendations?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Any printer recommendations?

Postby Infrasonic » August 27th, 2020, 5:16 pm

I'd second Office Lens for scanning, I have a scanner option on one of my old non printing inkjets but I don't bother with it as OL on my Pixel 3a phone is so convenient.

With the phone camera resolution set to max and the zoom facility it's pretty easy to get high quality auto cropped scans that can be saved in various formats (image/PDF/Word OCR/Powerpoint etc.) and to multiple destinations (local, cloud et al).
Great for scanning thermal paper receipts as a warranty backup before they fade into oblivion...

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » August 27th, 2020, 7:22 pm

As no one has mentioned Epson, I will.

While they have been replaced by newer models. Both the house unit and #1 Daughter's all in one units are oldish and working fine.

We found Canon units very good but the ones we had didn't last long.

The bigger unit is a Workforce WF 3620 which:
Has a hissy fit at aftermarket ink and throws up all sorts of warnings before working perfectly with them.
Has a big pigment black ink tank slot that is good for about 800 pages per cartridge - Aftermarket inks are really cheap, so I don't think about the budget when printing.

Does not seem to dry out, which is nice.
Has a scanner with terrible software, it works but it is pretty clunky.

Duplexes (rather slowly) but it does it.

I would recommend from personal experience.

B.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » August 28th, 2020, 9:21 am

oldapple wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-DCP-L2530DW-Wireless-Connected-Printing/dp/B078GXF59W

I too, like Jackdaw, would recommend the above model. Over lockdown, it was very difficult to find one in stock anywhere, including online, so I think it must have been in great demand for those having to work from home. It seems to have very good reviews and we are certainly happy with it too, except mine cost £150 from Argos.

Looking at that the only down side I can see is single sided scanning.

Does the software that comes with it allow you to scan one side of a mutiple sheet document followed by the other and then interleave them into a pdf ?

There are more upmarket ones with double sided scanners but they're noticeably bulkier.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 28th, 2020, 10:27 am

Had a Canon inkjet previously, was irritating how long it took to start up from cold, and yes it was rather ink-hungry.

But the MG3650 fires up quickly, in three years have had no problems, and the ink lasts well.

I wonder if some aftermarket inks are worse than others in terms of drying out and clogging the heads. I've only bought clones from Stinky Ink.

It's all a bit pot luck, isn't it.

V8

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 28th, 2020, 10:56 am

88V8 wrote:Had a Canon inkjet previously, was irritating how long it took to start up from cold, and yes it was rather ink-hungry.

But the MG3650 fires up quickly, in three years have had no problems, and the ink lasts well.

I wonder if some aftermarket inks are worse than others in terms of drying out and clogging the heads. I've only bought clones from Stinky Ink.

These ones? https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/canon/ink-cartridges/canon-pixma-mg3650

If so, their compatible refills are more expensive than the genuine article!!! (Today at least.)
Refilled Multipack of Canon PG-540 XL and CL-541 XL Inks
(144 reviews)
£46.06 (£38.38 ex VAT)
Save -£5.71 compared to the genuine Canon Ink cartridge!

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » August 28th, 2020, 11:13 am

mc2fool wrote:
88V8 wrote:Had a Canon inkjet previously, was irritating how long it took to start up from cold, and yes it was rather ink-hungry.

These ones? https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/canon/ink-cartridges/canon-pixma-mg3650

If so, their compatible refills are more expensive than the genuine article!!! (Today at least.)
Refilled Multipack of Canon PG-540 XL and CL-541 XL Inks
(144 reviews)
£46.06 (£38.38 ex VAT)
Save -£5.71 compared to the genuine Canon Ink cartridge!

My printer takes these cartridges too and for years I have bought Canon originals from 7 Day Shop:

https://www.7dayshop.com/canon-original-ink-cartridges

Unfortunately, both cartridges are out of stock today, but I've been paying around £18 for each cartridge - and this price includes VAT and delivery!

And yes, this price is the XL cartridges, not the lower capacity ones.

Hope they get some more in soon!

Watis

(no connection)

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 28th, 2020, 1:39 pm

xeny wrote:
oldapple wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-DCP-L2530DW-Wireless-Connected-Printing/dp/B078GXF59W

I too, like Jackdaw, would recommend the above model. Over lockdown, it was very difficult to find one in stock anywhere, including online, so I think it must have been in great demand for those having to work from home. It seems to have very good reviews and we are certainly happy with it too, except mine cost £150 from Argos.

Looking at that the only down side I can see is single sided scanning.

Does the software that comes with it allow you to scan one side of a mutiple sheet document followed by the other and then interleave them into a pdf ?

There are more upmarket ones with double sided scanners but they're noticeably bulkier.

A basic HP printer/scanner/copier allows multiple scans to be included into one PDF document.

regards

Howard

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » August 28th, 2020, 4:10 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:My 15 year old HP Photosmart printer is badly misbehaving, and my wife wants a new WiFi printer instead. For the amount of printing we do, I think we will stick with inkjet. I am concerned that the newer printers have clever software which will insist on me using expensive HP or Epson ink cartridges, rather than the cheap clones which I currently use. Is that the case?
I would be interested in any recommendations. I don't want to spend more than £120, and I need a scanner built in.

Reading the other helpful posts on this thread, especially those who have reported problems with inkjets, I have come to a conclusion which might be of assistance to you.

I subscribe to “Which” and they do very exhaustive tests on printers. I was pleased to read that their experts gave my lowly priced HP DeskJet 2630 a high score for quality of both black and colour printing. Out of 5, it scored 4 for black printing and 5 for colour photos. Scanning and printing both scored 4. These scores were high and better than many pricey machines. It scored lower for lacking some abilities like duplex printing and being a little slower which may be irrelevant to a home user.

As a light user of a printer, it seems I have an ideal package of low initial cost (under £30) and very low cost for high quality printing at £1.99 a month. (See earlier post for details).

To avoid any possible problems of drying printer heads etc I intend to print a test page every month or so. This will use every colour, keep the printer heads fettled and cost a fraction of a penny. :)

Hope you are happy with your next printer!

Howard

CollinsObilo

Postby CollinsObilo » January 14th, 2022, 5:27 pm

The HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 Wireless All-in-One Color Printer is a fantastic pick because it is an inkjet printer with a built-in scanner and supports all common connectivity options such as Wi-Fi, Ethernet, USB, and Wireless Direct. HP's OfficeJet Pro 6978 is ideal for low-volume printing, especially when used with HP's Instant Ink service. It produces excellent print quality and has competitive print speeds and operating costs.

AlexisSarah

Postby AlexisSarah » February 19th, 2022, 4:14 pm

In my opinion, the HP Deskjet 2755e is the finest all-in-one printer under 120.

This printer is not only inexpensive, but it also has a pleasing design, as well as good speed and reliability. It will take up very little space and is quite simple to use.

In that pricing range, the outstanding color accuracy is also fantastic. If you need a printer that can scan, copy, and print, this printer will undoubtedly meet your needs.

It also comes with a 6-month Instant Ink subscription through HP+, but it has a low page yield and there is no auto duplexing.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 19th, 2022, 4:16 pm

AlexisSarah wrote:In my opinion, the HP Deskjet 2755e is the finest all-in-one printer under 120.

This printer is not only inexpensive, but it also has a pleasing design, as well as good speed and reliability. It will take up very little space and is quite simple to use.

In that pricing range, the outstanding color accuracy is also fantastic. If you need a printer that can scan, copy, and print, this printer will undoubtedly meet your needs.

It also comes with a 6-month Instant Ink subscription through HP+, but it has a low page yield and there is no auto duplexing.

Why do all your posts read like sales pitches?

Scott.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”