Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Dead Actor / Footballer / Politician / Royalty / whatever

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Dead Actor / Footballer / Politician / Royalty / whatever

Postby bungeejumper » September 5th, 2020, 8:29 am

Snorvey wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:Oh well, Gene Wilder's gone. Walliams watch starts now. Set your watches. ;)

BJ

Eh?

As above. I must have woken up in the wrong decade or something. I'll live it down some day.

Which is more than Gene will. :|

BJ

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 5th, 2020, 8:47 am

bungeejumper wrote:
I must have woken up in the wrong decade or something

The BBC website was having one of it's glitches yesterday, and the 'Gene Wilder death' story from 2016 made it onto it's 'Most Read' list for much of Friday..

They made moves to stop such things happening a while back, where historic stories that got caught up in frenzied 'viral-spirals' often did the same thing, but it seems that the 'Gene Wilder death' story managed to get through their catchment-systems yesterday, for some reason...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 5th, 2020, 8:53 am

Itsallaguess wrote:The BBC website was having one of it's glitches yesterday, and the 'Gene Wilder death' story from 2016 made it onto it's 'Most Read' list for much of Friday.

Thanks, IAAG, you've rescued my sanity. :) All I have to do now is recover my normally faultless poise and keep on whistling loudly.

BJ

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » September 5th, 2020, 4:35 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Red face. :oops: You're absolutely right, double points for being more awake than me. Some kind of a glitch in the internet space/time continuum there. Okay, who's next on the cosmic conveyor belt?

BJ

I've had a notional double with a friend on Pope Benedict (93) and Prince Phillip (99) for several years. Mel Brooks, David Attenborough and Angela Lansbury all 94 and going strong as is James Lovelock at 101.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » September 8th, 2020, 9:58 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:
Snorvey wrote:This time it's....

the unbearable loss of a prince of American cinema

Who cares. I'm over it. Next.

The untimely passing last week of US actor Chadwick Boseman was the lead article on the BBC UK news page for most of the day.
I genuinely didn't recognise the name, but had heard of 'Black Panther' , a Marvel Comic screen adaptation
Possible lead story for the Entertainment section, but the most important thing happening in the UK on that day??? Really?

Well the newspapers couldn't agree that there was a bigger story to report that day - https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/uk-fr ... gust-2020/ or the next - https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/uk-fr ... gust-2020/ and just fell back to pushing their various ideologies.

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » September 16th, 2020, 7:48 am

How about this for a non-story.
I don't just mean a story that I don't care about.
I mean a story that doesn't actually exist.
It was reported in The Times and The Telegraph that I noticed.

The Times
Meghan missing from Harry’s birthday snap
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/meghan-out-of-the-picture-on-prince-harrys-birthday-g7jx302s5 (paywall)

The Telegraph
Royal-watchers left wondering after Meghan Markle missing from birthday messages to Prince Harry
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2020/09/15/fans-left-wondering-meghan-markle-missing-birthday-messages/ (paywall)

Here's a small snip of the text from The Times
"The Twitter account of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge posted birthday greetings to Harry...The picture chosen to accompany it conveyed a different message, however. It showed William, Kate and Harry racing each other at an event... in 2017." (i.e. no Meghan, no baby in the picture)

Makes it sound like it's a big thing.

The Telegraph talk about the Royal Family social media account, Clarence house, and Kensington Palace also not showing Meghan.

But it's a complete non-story.

As The Telegraph says way down at the bottom:
"In fact, it is common for royal social media pages – which are run by staff – to mark birthdays with photographs of the family member celebrating." and goes on to list other occasions with other Royals when this has happened (i.e. without their respective spouses, babies, etc)

So it's a perfectly normal practice in the Royal Family.

It's not newsworthy in any sense of the word.

torata

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 16th, 2020, 8:08 am

torata wrote:It's not newsworthy in any sense of the word.

It's par for the course in royal coverage these days. Almost every single one is twisted into an anti-Meghan story. The roots of this are racism.

(Going off topic I know).

Scott.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » September 16th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Am I allowed to offer some disagreement? Your stating as fact that it's racism, I can't leave unchallenged.
Personally, I don't like Meghan, and I don't like the effect she's had on Harry. He has strayed from his pre-destined path, to my mind, in the same way that Wallis-Simpson caused a ripple effect.
My dislike of Meghan is not racism, it's more personal than that, and I think your assertion is too broad. There will of course be some who dislike because of racism, but you shouldn't claim that is the reason. There are nuances too.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 16th, 2020, 7:40 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Am I allowed to offer some disagreement? Your stating as fact that it's racism, I can't leave unchallenged.
Personally, I don't like Meghan, and I don't like the effect she's had on Harry. He has strayed from his pre-destined path, to my mind, in the same way that Wallis-Simpson caused a ripple effect.

I'd say he was chased off his pre-destined path, by the racist persecution of his wife by the media.

(Of course I'm being too general, and there are exceptions and nuances. But hey, this is the Internet :-) )

Scott.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 17th, 2020, 9:10 am

torata wrote:How about this for a non-story.
I don't just mean a story that I don't care about.
I mean a story that doesn't actually exist.
It was reported in The Times and The Telegraph that I noticed.

The Times
Meghan missing from Harry’s birthday snap
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/meghan-out-of-the-picture-on-prince-harrys-birthday-g7jx302s5 (paywall)

The Telegraph
Royal-watchers left wondering after Meghan Markle missing from birthday messages to Prince Harry
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2020/09/15/fans-left-wondering-meghan-markle-missing-birthday-messages/ (paywall)

Here's a small snip of the text from The Times
"The Twitter account of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge posted birthday greetings to Harry...The picture chosen to accompany it conveyed a different message, however. It showed William, Kate and Harry racing each other at an event... in 2017." (i.e. no Meghan, no baby in the picture)

Makes it sound like it's a big thing.

The Telegraph talk about the Royal Family social media account, Clarence house, and Kensington Palace also not showing Meghan.

But it's a complete non-story.

As The Telegraph says way down at the bottom:
"In fact, it is common for royal social media pages – which are run by staff – to mark birthdays with photographs of the family member celebrating." and goes on to list other occasions with other Royals when this has happened (i.e. without their respective spouses, babies, etc)

So it's a perfectly normal practice in the Royal Family.

It's not newsworthy in any sense of the word.

torata

As this is an investment website, I shall sum up my reaction to the non-story in suitable terms.
Wells Fargo offer a World Growth Accumulation Fund - ticker WGAF

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 17th, 2020, 9:16 am

swill453 wrote:I'd say he was chased off his pre-destined path, by the racist persecution of his wife by the media.

Fraid so. Even a brief perusal of the coverage in the Mail and the Express confirms the trend, and the number of times she's been hammered for doing the exact same things that had drawn approval for Kate Middleton. The Mail on Sunday drew attention in 2016 to Meghan's "exotic DNA", and even an approving piece couldn't help calling her mother "a dreadlocked African-American lady from the wrong side of the tracks".

And then there was Danny Baker, of course. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693. Not wearing his media hat this time but twittering - but still, he clearly thought he could rely on an approving audience for that one. Sometimes I think Bernard Manning is still with us. :|

BJ

Return to “Bitter Lemons”