Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Musk endeavours

The Big Picture Place
GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: Musk endeavours

Postby GrahamPlatt » September 12th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Re that Citroen Ami. It sounds a bit like a golf buggy to me, a vehicle I’ve often thought ought be made more use of for town/city driving. And a much cooler option than those dire ‘mobility’ scooters.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 12th, 2020, 4:20 pm

dspp wrote:Strong BEV growth in Europe
https://insideevs.com/news/442639/plugi ... 0-country/

If you look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjU3uwm ... e=youtu.be you can see the effect of a local factory in stabilising & growing sales

regards, dspp

The numbers in France & Germany are super impressive as are the numbers in China.

The data is now supporting the beginning of the mass adoption of BEV & Tesla only lack something in the mini range to have a coming complete portfolio of BEV to sell into this exponential growth.

It was great to see the Tesla bear pressing his short thesis in the video as that means his investors will have to cover or loose a lot of money.

These sorts of growth figures will be liked by Wall Street & are likely a prelude to estimate raises from analysts.

Imho these data suggest the current share price is too low. Battery day will have to be really bad to prevent a re-rating of Tesla equity imho.

Regards,

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » September 12th, 2020, 4:22 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Hi Howard,

I have to admire your Infantry like persistence in calling out everything wrong that you can find with Tesla cars while at the same time warming your self on the money made by the Generals at Ballie Gifford.

Maybe you need to think more like a General, abandon your rifle, climb out of your trench and survey the whole battlefield with the artillery and air support of the Generals to guide and instruct you on the import battlefield business of making money.

For a very long time you have had this dichotomy in your mind of everything being wrong with Tesla Motors while at the same moment seeing your Ballie Gifford equity appreciate like one of Mr. Musk's rockets.

Does this not cause trouble for your mind, lead to sleepless nights etc?

If I was in this position I would be in despair, realising I had been on the wrong side of the greatest secular trend of our time and yet not being as Ballie Gifford were making money out of Tesla.

Such extreme contradictions in one mind, although this sort of mind orthogonality of mind can be very useful for barristers, it is generally not that good for investors.

Regards,

odysseus2000 wrote:Now re-bought most of the Tesla equity I sold earlier.

This market still looks like "the Fed is buying" buy which has been supported by rising equity prices.

This could go all wrong, but for now all central banks seem happy to print and spend with no worry about any inflationary consequences, arguing that deflation and or large unemployment would be a lot worse.

Hopefully some of this money will go from pockets into nice shiny and environmentally friendly Tesla motor cars to help everyone breathe better, but there is no guarantee of that.

Regards,

I enjoyed your first post, Ody but reading about your recent activities I think you have our roles reversed.

You appear to be the infantryman in the trenches, riskily putting your head repeatedly above the parapet and then ducking. In and out of the market.

I’m back at the Chateau with the Generals drinking Champagne and (as we are talking about a Californian company) a glass or two of Opus One. We do occasionally look at the messages from the front line.

Are you using IG for your trading activities? If so, perhaps I should thank you as I invested in IG in 2005 (about the time I bought some Opus One). IG’s income from traders means that they are now paying me a dividend yield of around 100% per year on my original investment as it has paid back handsomely and I have top sliced a couple of times.

I’m sure it’s fun trading, but there are also benefits from investing in a diversified portfolio for a long-term investor. Far from the front with the Generals I can just about hear the noise from the battleground!

regards

Howard

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 12th, 2020, 5:05 pm

I enjoyed your first post, Ody but reading about your recent activities I think you have our roles reversed.

You appear to be the infantryman in the trenches, riskily putting your head repeatedly above the parapet and then ducking. In and out of the market.

I’m back at the Chateau with the Generals drinking Champagne and (as we are talking about a Californian company) a glass or two of Opus One. We do occasionally look at the messages from the front line.

Are you using IG for your trading activities? If so, perhaps I should thank you as I invested in IG in 2005 (about the time I bought some Opus One). IG’s income from traders means that they are now paying me a dividend yield of around 100% per year on my original investment as it has paid back handsomely and I have top sliced a couple of times.

I’m sure it’s fun trading, but there are also benefits from investing in a diversified portfolio for a long-term investor. Far from the front with the Generals I can just about hear the noise from the battleground!

regards

Howard

Ha Ha! I wonder if you have been watching too much Hollywood.

The picture you paint of general sitting a long way back drinking Champagne may well have applied in the early stages of the First World War, but the generals job is to keep a very close eye on the battle and the enemy within the overall theatre of the war and constantly strengthen and with draw troops as needed to take advantage of enemy weakness and to counter enemy attacks.

This is the sort of stuff I do on a daily basis, where as the infantry are there to follow commands sent to them for offence or defence and to signal back to the generals on the situation and to take part in the sharp end of the battle as ordered. They do not control their own destiny and may not e.g. know anything about enemy movements that they do not directly see.

In an investment context, money would be the infantry and those who control when money is spent to buy or created from sales the generals.

Someone sitting back and taking no active part in deciding what to do would be analogous to infantry. Someone wanting to buy and drive BEV also infantry again feeding back information to the generals who then decide if, or how this feedback should control the spending of money or its creation from sales.

In investing, money is the analogue of captured territory in the military.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 12th, 2020, 5:09 pm

This may be significant for BEV.

According to the Sun, M/way speed limits are to be cut to 60 mph in four areas to measure whether this reduces pollution:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/1265166 ... rce=pushly

If successful it will be rolled out elsewhere.

One can imagine that an exemption could be granted for BEV and if so that would murder ICE sales.

Regards,

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 12th, 2020, 5:29 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Sensible transport systems are a multi factorial mix of walking, cycling, personal and public transport.

Tesla is not the answer to everything.

John

Awww, do you have to bait Ody like that?

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » September 13th, 2020, 12:00 am

VW ID3 Software Bug! :shock:

As predicted owners of the new VW have already found a software bug!

But it's not what we expected - it's more amusing. They have found a fault in Tesla's software.

Tesla superchargers will charge an ID3 for free. 8-)

"Tesla reportedly confirmed that it's not intentional, but a bug that has to be patched."

I don't normally make predictions but will make an exception today and confidently forecast that it's a software fault that Tesla will fix fairly quickly.

regards

Howard

https://insideevs.com/news/443733/tesla ... -evs-free/

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 13th, 2020, 5:08 am

Howard wrote:VW ID3 Software Bug! :shock:

But it's not what we expected - it's more amusing. They have found a fault in Tesla's software.

"Tesla reportedly confirmed that it's not intentional, but a bug that has to be patched."

I don't normally make predictions but will make an exception today and confidently forecast that it's a software fault that Tesla will fix fairly quickly.

regards

Howard

This is interesting.

There have been various media articles suggesting that there is a potential tie up between Tesla and VW. Indeed the two CEO shared a test drive in a
ID3 during the Tesla CEOs last trip to Germany.

Is it possible that the two companies have been working together with the intention that VW will have access to the Tesla supercharger network in exchange for some thing that VW will give Tesla.

There are many accounts of how modified Tesla have been denied supercharging, after the super charger detected the mod, so it seems surprising that when Tesla can do this to their own modified cars, they allow a VW and others to charge and do so for free.

Dunno, it may all just be some bug as reported, but if it is something more it isn't as far as I know in any analysts model.

At the very least it is free publicity for Tesla.

Regards,

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » September 13th, 2020, 11:49 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
Howard wrote:VW ID3 Software Bug! :shock:

regards

Howard

This is interesting.

There have been various media articles suggesting that there is a potential tie up between Tesla and VW. Indeed the two CEO shared a test drive in a
ID3 during the Tesla CEOs last trip to Germany.

Is it possible that the two companies have been working together with the intention that VW will have access to the Tesla supercharger network in exchange for some thing that VW will give Tesla.

There are many accounts of how modified Tesla have been denied supercharging, after the super charger detected the mod, so it seems surprising that when Tesla can do this to their own modified cars, they allow a VW and others to charge and do so for free.

Dunno, it may all just be some bug as reported, but if it is something more it isn't as far as I know in any analysts model.

At the very least it is free publicity for Tesla.

Regards,

Come on Ody, for once admit Tesla have made a (small) mistake.

It's publicity yes, for a Tesla fault.

Are you really suggesting that they are likely to have a tie-up with Opel, Hyundai and Renault as well as VW?

It's a cock up!

regards

Howard

see article by Elektrek

https://electrek.co/2020/09/12/tesla-bu ... rchargers/

They managed to test it with a long list of electric vehicles, including with the ID.3 and it seems to work with all of them:

"VW e-Golf
VW ID.3
BMW i3
Opel Ampera-e (Chevy Bolt EV)
Hyundai Kona Electric
Hyundai IONIQ Electric
Renault Zoe
Porsche Taycan
This is most likely a bug and not a feature since without a link to a Tesla account, Tesla is delivering those charges for free right now."

At this point, the leading theory is that there’s a bug in Tesla’s V3 handshake that releases the charge even if it doesn’t detect the vehicle as a Tesla car. :oops:

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » September 13th, 2020, 8:01 pm

Howard wrote:

This is most likely a bug and not a feature since without a link to a Tesla account, Tesla is delivering those charges for free right now."

At this point, the leading theory is that there’s a bug in Tesla’s V3 handshake that releases the charge even if it doesn’t detect the vehicle as a Tesla car. :oops:

You don't seriously think this is a mistake do you ? How likely is that ?

Yes, it may be a mistake, but the more likely explanation in my mind is that this was deliberate guerilla marketing by Tesla.

"Look how big and how good our Supercharger network is, and how easy it is to use"

I expect we will find out in due course.

regards, dspp

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » September 14th, 2020, 12:33 am

dspp wrote:
Howard wrote:

You don't seriously think this is a mistake do you ? How likely is that ?

Yes, it may be a mistake, but the more likely explanation in my mind is that this was deliberate guerilla marketing by Tesla.

"Look how big and how good our Supercharger network is, and how easy it is to use"

I expect we will find out in due course.

regards, dspp

I read that Germany has around 30,000 BEV charging stations with around 3,000 fast charging stations. Tesla has around 75 charging sites in Germany.

Does Tesla really have a big network?

If you are right, this is a fun new way of marketing. It's a bit like a bank saying "test our super cash dispensers - put any other banks' debit card in and we'll give you free money."

Guerilla Marketing: 8-) ...... I'm sure it will be successful. ;)

regards

Howard

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 14th, 2020, 11:26 am

There's a Tesla charger at my local Sainsbury's do you think it will charge my BMW?

John

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 14th, 2020, 11:31 am

If you are right, this is a fun new way of marketing. It's a bit like a bank saying "test our super cash dispensers - put any other banks' debit card in and we'll give you free money."

Guerilla Marketing: 8-) ...... I'm sure it will be successful. ;)

regards

Howard

When any car is connected to a charger, there is a process called "hand shaking" where the charger tests to see if the plugged in charger and attached battery pack are suitable to be charged and at what rate of charge, what pricing, etc etc. It is a complicated process making me think that the ability to charge ID3 et al is not some bug, but a deliberate decision. You can see this kind of thing with a MacBook air. Once the maglite is plugged in, there is a green light while the MacBook and charger verify all is well, only once checks have been completed does the orange light indicating charging come on.

Your analogue re banks giving out free money does not work as the incremental costs to Tesla of providing the power is very small. Once a supercharger has paid for its hardware and installation it gets its power at low cost, close to zero for solar panel ones.

The odds on this being an accident imho are close to zero.

There is a chance that Tesla and the other BEV are planning to open up each other chargers to competitor use, that may have been part of the recent Musk visit to Giga Berlin.

Whether it is just marketing or something more is an interesting point that might be illuminated on battery day.

Regards,

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » September 14th, 2020, 3:46 pm

dspp wrote:"Nikola Motor is under fire after an analyst firm called Hindenburg Research labeled the automaker as “an intricate fraud built on dozens of lies.” Hindenberg said that had “gathered extensive evidence – including recorded phone calls, text messages, private emails, and behind-the-scenes photographs-detailing dozens of false statements by Nikola Founder Trevor Milton.”"

https://www.teslarati.com/nikola-motor- ... -research/

That's fighting talk !

- dspp

Nikola Motors (NKLA) has issued a somewhat weak response to the allegations made in a recent report, and even admitted to faking the video of their electric hydrogen truck driving on the road. ..... Nikola released a few other counterpoints in response to the report, but the company ends up dancing around the allegations more than anything.

https://electrek.co/2020/09/14/nikola-n ... ore-147225

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 15th, 2020, 12:23 am

Bullish day for BEV makers:

Tesla up 12.6%

Xpev up 7.2%

Even Nikola despite SEC investigation had a bullish engulfing candle and is up 11.4%

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » September 15th, 2020, 12:38 am

Musk on Bill Gates saying batteries would be no good for 18 wheelers:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/130 ... 66529?s=20

Regards,

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » September 15th, 2020, 1:22 pm

courtesy chocochip on TMC, here is TSLA market share in UK,

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... st-4994629

2019 Q2: 0.17%
2019 Q3: 1.01%
2019 Q4: 1.24%
2020 Q1: 1.18%
2020 Q2: 2.64%

Mind you it looks like demand elsewhere and production & shipping patterns is such that they will not be able to repeat that in Q3 in UK. I guess monitoring UK is trivial pursuits level, as global is the real deal, but still it is of some interest.

regards, dspp

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » September 16th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Roadrunner 4170 cells info start to leak ......

https://electrek.co/2020/09/16/tesla-ba ... irst-look/

- dspp

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » September 18th, 2020, 10:58 pm

VW ID3 review by German car magazine (Auto Motor Sport)

Runs well, fails in processing and electronics

Beginning with the Golf IV (1997), VW sets quality standards. The ID.3 cannot continue this tradition in the test of auto motor und sport. There is a massive need for improvement in processing and electronics.

The VW ID.3, currently the most important electric model for the future of the VW Group, still has problems. In the first test by auto motor und sport, the series ID.3 was able to convince with its driving characteristics. But there is still a considerable need for improvement in processing and electronics. Although the tested ID.3 is listed at a price of almost 49,000 Euros (before deducting the possible environmental bonus of 9,480 Euros), the car does not meet VW's usual high standards of accuracy of fit of body parts, minimal gaps, high-quality materials and details.

https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicl ... erman_car/

- dspp

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » September 21st, 2020, 9:19 am

dspp wrote:
dspp wrote:"Nikola Motor is under fire after an analyst firm called Hindenburg Research labeled the automaker as “an intricate fraud built on dozens of lies.” Hindenberg said that had “gathered extensive evidence – including recorded phone calls, text messages, private emails, and behind-the-scenes photographs-detailing dozens of false statements by Nikola Founder Trevor Milton.”"

https://www.teslarati.com/nikola-motor- ... -research/

That's fighting talk !

- dspp

Nikola Motors (NKLA) has issued a somewhat weak response to the allegations made in a recent report, and even admitted to faking the video of their electric hydrogen truck driving on the road. ..... Nikola released a few other counterpoints in response to the report, but the company ends up dancing around the allegations more than anything.

https://electrek.co/2020/09/14/nikola-n ... ore-147225

Nikola Motors loses founder Trevor Milton amid SEC and DOJ probe

https://www.teslarati.com/nikola-trevor ... sec-probe/

- dspp

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”