Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Not worth watching - Worth watching.

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Re: Not worth watching - Worth watching.

Postby terminal7 » September 3rd, 2020, 10:47 am

Now for some :roll:

Just started to watch 'I may destroy you' after noting the rave reviews by TV critics. Gave up after 30 mins or so of first episode - maybe just too old for this type of youth drama but when you can hardly follow the dialogue and not a sympathetic character in sight - just too much of a grind.

Also started and stopped Lethal White - 4th in series of novels/tv adaptations about Cormorant Strike by Galbraith (really JKR). I had already read the book - which IMO was the poorest of the series - and unfortunately is reflected in the tv adaptation. So full of stock characters coupled with lazy acting resulted in abandoning ship towards end of first episode.

T7

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » September 3rd, 2020, 3:18 pm

Totally agree on Lethal White, poor in all respects abandoned 10 minutes into episode 2. Makes Midsomer Murders look Oscar-winning material.
Killing Eve loved the first series, second was OK abandoned in series 3.
The Bridge now on iPlayer brilliant all seasons.
Liked Code 37 sex crimes on all4

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 4th, 2020, 12:44 am

PrincessB wrote:
I've never seen Breaking Bad, and after a few minutes decided that I'd prefer to watch it while sober and gave up.

B.

I found episode 1 of BB to be 'iffy but I persevered. Episode 2 kicked it up a gear and then it was too late..hooked! Bingewatched the rest! A couple of weeks later I moved on to Better Call Saul....

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » September 15th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Just finished watching series 1 of Stranger - a South Korean thriller of sorts covering the prosecution service, the police and corruption in high places. The pace is slow on occasion and it takes some time to become used to the cultural mores of everyday etiquette in SK. However, the OH and I found it well constructed and compelling, with a good story line. 16 episodes around 1hr20mins each make it a long haul. Certainly a lot better than the Young Wallender - but that's not saying much. Girding my loins before starting series 2 of similar length.

T7

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » September 16th, 2020, 12:45 pm

I was recommended, The Good Doctor TV series and so far its been quite good. Probably not as good as House MD but has the same creator.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6470478/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

AlumniLawn

Postby AlumniLawn » September 16th, 2020, 1:55 pm

Des on ITV

The story of Denis Nilsen played by David Tennant. Spellbinding portrayal of a monstrous individual.

Out of 10? 10.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » September 28th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Just started repeat watching of Wolf Hall. Absolutely brilliant acting from Rylance, Lewis, Foy etc.

If you did not watch first time round - you are in for a treat.

T7

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 28th, 2020, 6:49 pm

todthedog wrote:Totally agree on Lethal White, poor in all respects abandoned 10 minutes into episode 2. Makes Midsomer Murders look Oscar-winning material.
Killing Eve loved the first series, second was OK abandoned in series 3.
The Bridge now on iPlayer brilliant all seasons.
Liked Code 37 sex crimes on all4

Lethal White was so-so - a decent pot-boiler but nothing to write home about.
The Bridge? - now there's something in a different class. Watched it first time round and hooked on this repeat airing. Sophie Helin just amazing and her character can have you in tears or laughing depending on mood.

Mystery Road, watched the first one or maybe two, then gave up. Can't get into the characters and feel no empathy for them

Singapore Grip I'm giving the benefit of the doubt for now. My problem is, I do that and then feel I have to plough on to the bitter end even if it's rubbish - which this probably is. Isn't that the sunk cost fallacy in action?

The program on BBC4 on forgotten black composers had rave reviews, but I couldn't help feeling something missing. It was all a bit too fervent and Lenny Henry, god bless him, was quite annoying at times. Thank goodness for Suzy Klein to add a little weight, but only a little. Those of us into radio 3 already knew several of those so called forgotten composers, so they aren't really forgotten, though they are underperformed. There could be a good reason for that, of course, but Florence Price definitely needs more airing. I'm not convinced it's all down to racism: the classical world is very competitive but also subject to fashion. Composers come and go - Sibelius, Vaughan Williams, Mahler, and even Bach, for example, and it's no good promoting someone as "Mozart" if they aren't. The truth will out.

Chineke! are brilliant, but are they really the most diverse orchestra in the world? Only if one thinks that "diverse" = ethnic minority, largely black. But the point is well made that black musicians are deserving of more appointments which should come through blind auditions. Strangely, I know one orchestra quite well, which uses only blind auditions but doesn't have a single black musician, How does that work? It does have a good gender balance, though.
And whilst I believe Sheku Kanneh-Mason is a lovely guy (I've met him at Wigmore) and potentially one of the greats, let's not overlook another potential great of the same generation who just happens to be white - Laura van der Heijden. She is fully deserving the same accolades but tends to be overshadowed by Sheku and his newsworthy family which includes the marvellous pianist, Isata.

Sorry, this turned out to be longer than expected!

Arb.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » October 8th, 2020, 10:59 am

For Breaking Bad followers:

The fly is back!

T7

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 8th, 2020, 11:01 am

terminal7 wrote:For Breaking Bad followers:

The fly is back!

T7

If I had two Pence for every time I've heard that . . .

Watis

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 8th, 2020, 11:06 am

I cannot really comment on this subject in general, but Arb mentioned the Singapore Grip which I am watching as I have a strong affinity with that part of the world. In watching it it can easily be dismissed as dire but then we need to remember that J G Ballard was writing it as satire, and looked at that way, it sort of falls into place.

Dod

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » January 12th, 2021, 3:52 pm

Last September I wrote:

Just started to watch 'I may destroy you' after noting the rave reviews by TV critics. Gave up after 30 mins or so of first episode - maybe just too old for this type of youth drama but when you can hardly follow the dialogue and not a sympathetic character in sight - just too much of a grind.

After yet more rave reviews - the best tv programme of 2020 etc. - I gave it another go. I decided to turn on the subtitles and a whole new world opened up. The music (and lyrics) are integral and apart from Firestarter in a later episode I did not know one track. Nevertheless, it is very clever and is clearly a generational 'ting'. Michaela Coel - who was sensational in Black Earth Rising - wrote, directed and stars. Clearly a huge talent and the final episode is a revelation. I suspect most Fools will find it a challenge - but I suggest give it a go.

T7

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » January 13th, 2021, 7:22 pm

Arb mentioned a few days ago Spiral (Engrenages) under the Serpent - a French cop series. Brilliant series - actually 8 series - 88 episodes - will keep you occupied whilst waiting for a little jab. Just finished the last episode of the last series - up with the Wire, Breaking Bad (ex episode the Fly) and the Sopranos. This is the grubby side of Paris in all its seediness - and that's just les flics.

T7

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 17th, 2021, 9:32 am

terminal7 wrote:Arb mentioned a few days ago Spiral (Engrenages) under the Serpent - a French cop series. Brilliant series - actually 8 series - 88 episodes - will keep you occupied whilst waiting for a little jab. Just finished the last episode of the last series - up with the Wire, Breaking Bad (ex episode the Fly) and the Sopranos. This is the grubby side of Paris in all its seediness - and that's just les flics.

T7

Last series has two week to run on TV, last night being 5,6 - I think. Anyhow, I don't like to wipte these thigns off by binge watching, but extend the pleasure over weeks. However, what with all the other series I am watching, it takes me ten minutes or more to ge my focus back. Last night I couldn't remember who "Amin" was until after the show finished!

The latest news from the Arb household is that we seem to be gradually getting drawn into watching Buffy as it unfolds. I only intended to watch the very first one, for old time's sake, but Mrs Arb seems quite keen to carry on. I put that down to the appeal of Angel and Spike.

Arb.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 19th, 2021, 6:17 pm

Two series to recommend as 'worth watching' -

The Blood Pact on All4 - A tax inspector and a gangster's children are friends, and things get interesting when the gangster is released from his prison sentence for murder.

Tehran on Apple TV - Mossad arrange for a Jordanian flight to experience technical difficulties forcing it to make an emergency stop in Tehran, much to the concern of the young Israeli couple onboard who booked it as it was cheaper and now realise they are going to be in deep trouble landing on enemy soil.

One series I can't recommend as frankly I don't understand it - WandaVision on Disney+ I watched 15 minutes and gave up.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » January 21st, 2021, 5:57 pm

Just watched short series (4 episodes) Room 2806 on Netflix that is centred around the 2011 sexual assault case in New York involving French politician Dominique Strauss-Kahn - the then head of the IMF. Worth watching for Sarkozy's reaction to the news of the case and the number of gallic shrugs.

T7

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 21st, 2021, 6:12 pm

I've just finished the last ep of Justified on My5 and amazon. Cowboys, feuds, mountain men, organised crime and more in modern Kentucky. Six seasons so a big watch
BBC4's Uncle Vanya just finished it this afternoon, Toby Jones in the titular role and that bloke who plays Thursday in Endeavour. Stage play filmed in lockdown when audiences were banned.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » January 21st, 2021, 6:20 pm

I liked Lupin on Netflix, French with subtitles. 5 episodes so far

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » February 9th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Just watched 'The Investigation' on BBC - 6 part series about the death of a young journalist some 3/4 years ago in Denmark on a small submarine. It is a very understated docudrama starring a number of scandi regulars. Recommended even to those who may remember this notorious case.

T7

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 14th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Seaside Hotel on All4 in the 'Walter Presents' strand - worth watching if you want some light entertainment. All4 currently have two series available to watch, but as series eight has just been released then hopefully they will be putting the rest back on.

Starting in 1928 each series covers the opening of a Danish summer seaside hotel for that season, and the lives of the wealthy guests and hotel staff.

It certainly isn't challenging viewing, a sort of Jeeves & Wooster / Downton Abbey / Poirot mix, but fun enough for all that.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”