Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

PL carve up?

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

PL carve up?

Postby Leothebear » October 12th, 2020, 11:51 am

It may help non PL clubs to a degree but it'll entrench power with the top 6. It stinks IMV

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54502459

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Re: PL carve up?

Postby Stan » October 12th, 2020, 8:52 pm

I’ve said it for years that the sooner the big time Charlies join a European league with others from other Countries the better.

One condition though .. they can’t come back if they don’t like it for any reason.

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » October 12th, 2020, 10:01 pm

The big losers in these proposals will be lower PL clubs as will reduce PL income when in the PL and lose parachute payments in the Championship. This would widen the gap between top clubs and the rest. The big gainers would be smaller L1 and L2 clubs desperate for cash now.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 13th, 2020, 11:39 am

I wonder if the supporters of the big 6 like this idea. Any of you frequent this board?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 13th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Please excuse my overall ignorance as In dont follow football and havent for a very long time...

but...

ISTR similar "issues" being debated/discussed etc etc when the Premier league was mooted to move away from the "old" Division One. And then when the PL was in place the suggestion of the Champions League...

???

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » October 13th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Adamski wrote:The big losers in these proposals will be lower PL clubs as will reduce PL income when in the PL and lose parachute payments in the Championship. This would widen the gap between top clubs and the rest. The big gainers would be smaller L1 and L2 clubs desperate for cash now.

So which is the lesser evil?

A small elite that "win", a small semi-elite that "lose", and multiple "winners" lower down the pyramid.

Or

A small "elite" that don't win, or lose, a small semi-elite that don't lose, and multiple others down the pyramid that "lose" and may go out of existence.

The PL, EFL and FA have had many months to come up with an alternative solution, which hasn't seen the light of day yet. The base of the pyramid might not exist in a month or two's time if nothing is done.

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » October 13th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Leothebear wrote:It may help non PL clubs to a degree but it'll entrench power with the top 6. It stinks IMV

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54502459

It's basically an attempt to hand over control of the most lucrative element of English football, in perpetuity, to the owners of the 6 self styled 'big clubs'. And who are they? A Russian oligarch, the Abu Dhabi royal family, a British tax exile and various US billionaires. It would give them the power to block any change in ownership of other Premier clubs and ultimately alter the allocation of Premier league TV revenue.

It is interesting that this was all initiated by the owners of Liverpool, who also own the Boston Red Sox, supported by the Glazers, who also own Tampa Bay Buccaneers. There's a clear attempt to impose a US style franchise model on English football, in which there is no 'relegation' and essentially the sport is carved up between the top clubs (with lower levels as a feeders).

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » October 15th, 2020, 2:50 pm

Leothebear wrote:I wonder if the supporters of the big 6 like this idea. Any of you frequent this board?

Actually I own Spurs*.

I saw the end point of this as being that none of the 9 super clubs would ever get relegated because they would use their votes to change the rules to prevent it. Consolidation of power in a few needs to be considered very carefully, and is seldom a good idea. I do think something needs to be done because the gap between the Premier League and the Championship is too big, and the balance of the competition needs to improve, but I have no insight into what that should be.

Fortunately the PL clubs (unanimously? how did that work?) have voted it down.

DM

*Well, a tiny tiny percentage

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”