Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The UK Market

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
Dod101
The full Lemon

The UK Market

Postby Dod101 » January 6th, 2021, 5:19 pm

As a nice change from the Covid news, our stock market is showing a very welcome upturn. Today even HSBC is well above £4 and many shares are really looking quite good, presumably as a result of the vaccine roll out and Brexit settled.

Dod

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: The UK Market

Postby scrumpyjack » January 6th, 2021, 5:25 pm

Dod101 wrote:As a nice change from the Covid news, our stock market is showing a very welcome upturn. Today even HSBC is well above £4 and many shares are really looking quite good, presumably as a result of the vaccine roll out and Brexit settled.

Dod

Also I think because the US market is rising, on thoughts that the democrats will get control of the senate and so be able to push through much much higher expenditure, thus reflating (or inflating?) their economy. Plus commodities rising sharply, and the FTSE100 has a lot of miners and oilies.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 6th, 2021, 5:36 pm

Dod101 wrote:As a nice change from the Covid news, our stock market is showing a very welcome upturn. Today even HSBC is well above £4 and many shares are really looking quite good, presumably as a result of the vaccine roll out and Brexit settled.

Dod

I just see it as a continuation of the "Dash for Trash" (love that phrase, but no idea who came up with it!) that started before Christmas. I think a lot of banks, oils etc. were a little oversold but I'd still not want to own any of them, god forbid. I expect this may continue for a while. It's just a shame that quality companies are trading sideways rather than going down because I'd have my buying hat on if they did! :)

All the best, Si

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 6th, 2021, 5:41 pm

simoan wrote:

Dod

I just see it as a continuation of the "Dash for Trash" (love that phrase, but no idea who came up with it!) that started before Christmas. I think a lot of banks, oils etc. were a little oversold but I'd still not want to own any of them, god forbid. I expect this may continue for a while. It's just a shame that quality companies are trading sideways rather than going down because I'd have my buying hat on if they did! :)

All the best, Si

Well I know that HSBC for instance has lots of problems but at anything under £4 I think they were ridiculously oversold and I do not think that Shell is going to disappear any time soon. Give them both a couple of years and I think we will see a big improvement, maybe well before then.

Dod

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 6th, 2021, 5:48 pm

Dod101 wrote:
simoan wrote:

Dod

All the best, Si

Well I know that HSBC for instance has lots of problems but at anything under £4 I think they were ridiculously oversold and I do not think that Shell is going to disappear any time soon. Give them both a couple of years and I think we will see a big improvement, maybe well before then.

Dod

Maybe. It's irrelevant to me anyway. I just don't invest in O&G and Banking - there's no investing rule says you need to have exposure to every sector, especially those with poor economics. Too many good companies in sectors with good economics to have to consider investing in companies with indecipherable accounts.

All the best, Si

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 6th, 2021, 5:57 pm

The market rejoices, but I notice my NG holding is not joining in. As I was comparing my prices, now with October, it was one of only two which were down by comparison.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 6th, 2021, 8:11 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:The market rejoices, but I notice my NG holding is not joining in. As I was comparing my prices, now with October, it was one of only two which were down by comparison.

Arb.

A rare piece of good fortune then, when I fairly recently swapped out NG for SSE which has appreciated by maybe 25% in the short time I have held it.

RVF

All hail Diversification!.

I have both.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 6th, 2021, 8:22 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:The market rejoices, but I notice my NG holding is not joining in. As I was comparing my prices, now with October, it was one of only two which were down by comparison.

Arb.

A rare piece of good fortune then, when I fairly recently swapped out NG for SSE which has appreciated by maybe 25% in the short time I have held it.

RVF

I bought back into SSE in the late summer for much the same reasons that I think you bought it and I guess that I piggybacked on your reasoning RVF. Anyhow they no longer have the retail side, they are selling the gas Distribution business and quite a few peripheral investments, and putting money into green energy. The market seems to like that and so do I.

Dod

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 6th, 2021, 11:21 pm

I see that the FTSE350HY index has risen by 7.3% since the start of the year, compared with only 5.9% for the FTSE100.

Does it herald a resurgence of HY shares?

TJH

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 7th, 2021, 8:43 am

tjh290633 wrote:I see that the FTSE350HY index has risen by 7.3% since the start of the year, compared with only 5.9% for the FTSE100.

TJH
Let's hope so. It has been heralded for long enough.

Dod

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 7th, 2021, 8:54 am

Dod101 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:I see that the FTSE350HY index has risen by 7.3% since the start of the year, compared with only 5.9% for the FTSE100.

TJH
Let's hope so. It has been heralded for long enough.

Dod

By who? Three days into a new trading year and we're already heralding something. And there was me thinking HY investing was a long term approach. Three good days after years of sub par returns does not a swallow make.

All the best, Si

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 7th, 2021, 9:31 am

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:
simoan wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Let's hope so. It has been heralded for long enough.

Dod

By who? Three days into a new trading year and we're already heralding something. And there was me thinking HY investing was a long term approach. Three good days after years of sub par returns does not a swallow make.

All the best, Si

Cut a bit of slack, please. The disciples need it. Thanks.

RVF

No smiley, so I'm not sure if you're joking or not? FWIW I have nothing per se against HY investing and I happen to hold some shares that you could describe as High Yielding although that's not the primary reason I hold them. I just happen to think all mechanical approaches to investing based on some kind of home-brewed inflexible dogma are ridiculous and have a very high chance of not even beating a monkey picking stocks by throwing darts at the FT. The first rule of investing is to be honest with yourself. And then if you can't be honest with yourself, you can always ask a complete stranger on a BB to help out :)

All the best,Si

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » January 7th, 2021, 3:03 pm

Good news. Maybe those Goldman forecasts 2021 of ftse +14% don't look so far off now, was up 5.7% in 3 days. I believe will outperform but Still not tempted to go back in, as still too traumatised last Mar and the losses I took on the likes of Shell.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 7th, 2021, 4:37 pm

Adamski wrote:Good news. Maybe those Goldman forecasts 2021 of ftse +14% don't look so far off now, was up 5.7% in 3 days. I believe will outperform but Still not tempted to go back in, as still too traumatised last Mar and the losses I took on the likes of Shell.

Had you not realised your losses, you might now be a lot better off. It is usually better to be in the market than out of it.

TJH

Return to “Investment Strategies”