Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Yorkshire Energy goes bust

Making your money go further
Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Re: Yorkshire Energy goes bust

Postby Gersemi » February 15th, 2021, 11:01 am

DrFfybes wrote:
Have you actually managed to work out what rate you are paying? for gas I can't get the info when I log in (which at the moment I can't) which is incredibly frustrating. I suspect I need to submit readings and then generate a bill.

On Uswitch SP do come in at the cheapest for us for combined anyway so I might just end up calling them tomorrow and give them some readings more similar to the ones when we were transferred :)

Paul

Hi Paul, yes I managed to download a schedule of the 'Energy Exclusive' leaflet, the rates vary by area though. If you tell me your old supply area I could tell you your rates. I submitted my readings the other day (after telling them the gas start figure again), and so generated a bill, so I know they are the correct figures.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 15th, 2021, 1:19 pm

Gersemi wrote:
Hi Paul, yes I managed to download a schedule of the 'Energy Exclusive' leaflet, the rates vary by area though. If you tell me your old supply area I could tell you your rates. I submitted my readings the other day (after telling them the gas start figure again), and so generated a bill, so I know they are the correct figures.

Thanks, I managed to get in and generate a bill. We're in Shropshire SY3 area and I have found the "online exclusive" is now featured on Uswitch and agrees with the bill. Whilst the current tarrif is the cheapest from the major players, even switching to the more unknown ones will apparently only save us 2 or 3 quid per month and that assumes I've guessed the usage in the new house correctly.

Working from home has meant bills are a lot higher as MrsF has a fan heater on her feet and we're still burning 600 kWh/week of gas and using the woodburner. I think I'll look at 'fee free exit' tarriffs an run a 6 month forecast - high gas for winter and negligable for summer, and see what companies can offer high/low standing charge ersus high/low unit rates.

Do you have a link for the rate sheet?

Paul

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » February 15th, 2021, 2:07 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Gersemi wrote:

Thanks, I managed to get in and generate a bill. We're in Shropshire SY3 area and I have found the "online exclusive" is now featured on Uswitch and agrees with the bill. Whilst the current tarrif is the cheapest from the major players, even switching to the more unknown ones will apparently only save us 2 or 3 quid per month and that assumes I've guessed the usage in the new house correctly.

Working from home has meant bills are a lot higher as MrsF has a fan heater on her feet and we're still burning 600 kWh/week of gas and using the woodburner. I think I'll look at 'fee free exit' tarriffs an run a 6 month forecast - high gas for winter and negligable for summer, and see what companies can offer high/low standing charge ersus high/low unit rates.

Do you have a link for the rate sheet?

Paul

Hi Paul

the link is at https://web-content.scottishpower.co.uk ... -Dec20.pdf

that took quite a bit of searching! I downloaded it because I doubted my ability to find it again, but you can access it via the FAQ section on Scottish Power.

I am working from home for the first time this winter as well. My OH has worked from home full time for quite a few years and never has the heating on during the day, so is complaining like mad about melting. Of course he just has to suffer.

I haven't checked other rates yet as I've signed up for a collective switching deal, so I'm waiting to see what they can offer. With YE I was on a fixed rate tariff due to last until September, so I am a bit peeved to have lost it just at the wrong time.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 3rd, 2021, 10:47 am

richfool wrote:I just hope I get my credit balance refunded. :o

I received my final statement from YE today with a request to pay the £5 I owed them from those last few days before SP took over, so hopefully you should have received your credit balance back as well.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » March 3rd, 2021, 3:08 pm

AF62 wrote:

I received my final statement from YE today with a request to pay the £5 I owed them from those last few days before SP took over, so hopefully you should have received your credit balance back as well.

I haven't received my credit balance yet, but I have an email promising it 'this week'. Dated last week, credit isn't in my SP account yet . . .

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 3rd, 2021, 3:13 pm

Had my final bill also. Just waiting for my Scottish Power bill for the 23 days I was with them before escaping their clutches and moving to SO Energy.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » March 3rd, 2021, 3:47 pm

AF62 wrote:

AF62, thanks for the update. Perhaps when they receive your £5, along with 10 more, they will have enough to refund me my c £50. ;)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 4th, 2021, 10:26 pm

I logged in today and found Scottish had managed to mess up my mum's account in an inexplicable way.

On the pdf of the bill the meter numbers and supply address were correct, however the billing address was wrong.
In the online details they had the supply address as a house I used to live in in Devon, and the billing address a combination of my old house and the incorrect one from the pdf bill.

And it also appears I'm now on Economy7 style dual rate electricity :(

Still, it meant I avoided 56 minutes of weeding the garden whilst they sorted it.

Paul

NeilW
Lemon Slice

Postby NeilW » March 5th, 2021, 5:49 am

No sign of a YE final bill, or any credit payment here. I got out of YE just before they went titsup.

I've logged a complaint with Scottish Power. They've been utterly useless up to now.

daducky

Postby daducky » March 8th, 2021, 1:40 pm

gryffron wrote:
daducky wrote:As an aside, I noted that for the top 6 largest energsupplies post privatisation of the energy supply market, prices to customers had increased 3 x energy cost inflation in the first 10 years of operating.

To be fair, that is largely because of govt tampering. Solar feed-in tariffs, carbon credits, private nuclear deals etc etc.
The private energy suppliers have very little control over these things.

Gryff

The price rise of 3x inflation amply demonstrated the emptiness of the 80's Gov claims as to "the efficiency of the market place", which i recall correctly were established with regional monopolistic/ ltd n of suppliers in addition to the usual weak regulatory stipulations some of which remain.
The concept of market rather that state efficiency probably works in part because market operators may chose clients. The state may not, by and large. I guess someones done a multivariate analysis of efficiency.
DrFfybes wrote:I logged in today and found Scottish had managed to mess up my mum's account in an inexplicable way.

On the pdf of the bill the meter numbers and supply address were correct, however the billing address was wrong.
In the online details they had the supply address as a house I used to live in in Devon, and the billing address a combination of my old house and the incorrect one from the pdf bill.

Still, it meant I avoided 56 minutes of weeding the garden whilst they sorted it.

Paul

Isnt economy 7 one of or the most expensive for you assumption they can make. Its quite a common "mishtake" to be made.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 8th, 2021, 11:39 pm

daducky wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:

Paul

Isnt economy 7 one of or the most expensive for you assumption they can make. Its quite a common "mishtake" to be made.

One of the many inexplicable things the previous owners of the house did was have a dual rate electric meter installed when they went "smart". I'm pretty sure it is a software tweak to make it single rate but SP won't do it unless I transfer to one of their more expensive tarrifs.

It makes is hard to switch supplier, as I want one where I can pay the single rate tarrif on both 'meters', which means phoning jup to check.

Paul

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » March 9th, 2021, 10:07 pm

NeilW wrote:No sign of a YE final bill, or any credit payment here. I got out of YE just before they went titsup.

I've logged a complaint with Scottish Power. They've been utterly useless up to now.

I've finally got a bill from Scottish Power showing my credit from Yorkshire Energy. So far I've had five bills - two partially cancelling previous ones as they messed up the readings. They carry forward the balance all the time, which I find makes it really difficult to work out what's going on. Reworking the whole period just adding up the units I've been billed for less payments and credits does work out to the same final figure owing as they've got. I think I remember though why I was glad to leave them before! My switch away is scheduled to take place on 19th March - I'll owe them then so I'm sure it won't take long to get the final bill!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 15th, 2021, 9:25 am

Just had an email from SP saying mum's account will get a 'loyalty bonus' credited which would have been (or was) due from YE as a long term customer so SP are honouring it. £40, which is a nice surprise.

Sadly on mine SP would only take me off dual rate leccy if I went on to a more expnsive tariff and then got the meter type changed, so a few phone calls and Octopus and Bulb can do it, although as the difference between their 2 rates is quite small Bulb are actually slightly cheaper dual rate(!).

I phoned Bulb to check if their prices are planned to increase in April and was told they had heard nothing and there is a month's notice so they will stay the same for now. I signed up and he said "we will supply you from 1 April, you need to send in an opening reading". In reference to their ads I asked if that meant we would now be able to see a Unicorn and he said "Actually Sir, as your account goes live on April 1st, we'll send one out in the morning to take your opening reading. Keep an eye out for it, but if you don't see it you'd better send one in just in case".

Paul

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 20th, 2021, 9:58 am

Replying to my own post, Bulb sent an email saying their prices are going up (about 9%) so I stopped the transfer - no Unicorn for me next month then :(

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 7th, 2021, 12:27 pm

So, YE have finally sent MY closing statement.

However they've used estimated closing readings instead of the ones supplied. Estimates that are not in my favour by about £20.

Now as SP have so far only managed to bill for Gas (and have now sent me 7 bills for the 3 months to 03 March), I've no idea what opening readings they have used for the electric, so I need to sort that out before I can harass YE for the correct refund.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhh.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » April 7th, 2021, 3:58 pm

Ah, as previously reported I sorted out my final bill from YE. I'm now waiting for the final bill from SP. They've billed me twice using my final readings, but have cancelled them both for reasons that are beyond me. Anyway I owe them about £200 so I'm not in any hurry for them to sort it out!

Coobster

Postby Coobster » April 16th, 2021, 2:54 pm

Hello, I've only just noticed this topic on YE, sorry.
I was a YE customer, I just happened to generate a set of meter readings and a bill on the day that YE went into administration, 5th December 2020. (I didn't know that at the time. YE had a nice little system that generated your bill within a couple of hours. No real problems from them unlike...

Scottish (Spanish) Power become the Supplier of Last Resort (SoLR), OFGEM nominated them out of 8 energy cos. that tendered for the role.

The first issue I had was when SP took on my supply and 'estimated' my gas reading. We have dumb meters not Smart ones (SMET2) and SP were able to use an industry standard method of determining my meter reading. It was in their favour unsurprisingly. I wasn't able to submit an initial gas reading unlike the electric reading. I made 3 x 1hr calls to them over a period of 4-6 weeks, being told that yes, we'll correct the gas reading but it takes 10-14 days. All attempted corrections failed. With SP to get anything fixed you have to raise a complaint.
In the end someone called me one evening and arranged compensation for the wrong reading and also a little bit for my time.

I moved away from SP as I felt I could get a cheaper tariff elsewhere (hopefully better service too). I ALWAYS take a photo of the meters when I read them. This is proof of the reading, especially so when you move suppliers.

My YE balance. After 4 months I was finally informed what my balance was (I'm owed £400). YE seem to take their time in informing SP what the credit / debit balances are. SP when they finally are informed then take 20 WORKING DAYS to repay you. So, progress is glacial (yes I've raised a complaint with SP).

In my opinion SP are the worst energy company that I've ever used.

There is a Martin Lewis thread here 'forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6220161/yorkshire-energy/p1' for ex-YE energy customers - it unsurprisingly goes to 237 pages with comments from lots of unhappy former YE and now SP customers. *I can't post a link as I'm a new member.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » April 16th, 2021, 4:41 pm

Oh dear Coobster! Sounds like I got off lightly. Turns out that despite SP telling me they were going to cease providing my energy on the 19th March (so I read the meters on that day) it was actually the 20th. So they rebilled me for an additional days standing charge. They accepting the readings from the 19th though. I expect it helped that I owe SP, so they are going to collect the outstanding balance next week. Then my association with them will be over.

Crossing my fingers,
Gersemi

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 16th, 2021, 4:58 pm

Gersemi wrote:Oh dear Coobster! Sounds like I got off lightly. Turns out that despite SP telling me they were going to cease providing my energy on the 19th March (so I read the meters on that day) it was actually the 20th. So they rebilled me for an additional days standing charge. They accepting the readings from the 19th though. I expect it helped that I owe SP, so they are going to collect the outstanding balance next week. Then my association with them will be over.

Crossing my fingers,
Gersemi

Don't bet on it! We moved from Scottish Power to Igloo a year ago, and SP messed up the transfer of the gas meter. Igloo fixed that, but SP still keep sending round someone to read the gas meter (3rd time was 2 days ago). I refuse, of course, since SP are not my supplier. The meter reader says they get a lot of that, he reports the problem to SP, but they never fix their problem.

--kiloran

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » April 16th, 2021, 5:25 pm

I think I have fallen down a crack in SPs systems. I moved to SO energy less than a month after YE went under. SP tried to take over and I authorised SO Energy to 'contest' SP's attempt to take over and I have remained a customer of SO and am billed by them If I sign into SPs system to look at my account, there is nothing there and no bills outstanding. I have paid my final bill to YE (£16) but there are 23 days from the end of that supply to SO energy taking over.

I suppose I should pester SP to bill me for those 23 days but I really can't face dealing with them. Morally I should but for the moment I will let sleeping dogs lie.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”