Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Downing Street: Millions spent on new media briefing room

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Downing Street: Millions spent on new media briefing room

Postby terminal7 » March 6th, 2021, 10:35 am

Hey guv, I had that Allegro women in the back of my cab the other day taking her to Downing Street. She told me that her boss had insisted on improving her working environment as a jolly jape to ensure the cost of his new light fittings was lost in the fog of war - whatever that means. Come to think of it she actually looked more like that Lorna Doom women.

T7 (man in back of cab)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Downing Street: Millions spent on new media briefing room

Postby bungeejumper » March 6th, 2021, 11:01 am

terminal7 wrote:her boss had insisted on improving her working environment as a jolly jape to ensure the cost of his new light fittings was lost in the fog of war - whatever that means.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56253365
No 10 has refused to comment on reports Boris Johnson is considering setting up a charity to pay for refurbishments to his official Downing Street residence.

A charity? Sounds positively Trumpian. :? Still, I am a charitable person and always willing to do my bit for a good cause. I've got a nearly-new hostess trolley and a fondue set that we don't need any more. And a radiogram and a black and white telly. Should set the scene nicely for recreating the grand old days when Johnny Foreigner knew his place, and all the government cars were Rovers, and chianti came in straw-donkey bottles, and the radios still had Hilversum on the dials. Winston would have approved.

Apparently the designer is called Lulu Lytle. No further comment seems necessary.

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 6th, 2021, 11:15 am

bungeejumper wrote:
terminal7 wrote:her boss had insisted on improving her working environment as a jolly jape to ensure the cost of his new light fittings was lost in the fog of war - whatever that means.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56253365
No 10 has refused to comment on reports Boris Johnson is considering setting up a charity to pay for refurbishments to his official Downing Street residence.

A charity? Sounds positively Trumpian. :? Still, I am a charitable person and always willing to do my bit for a good cause. I've got a nearly-new hostess trolley and a fondue set that we don't need any more. And a radiogram and a black and white telly. Should set the scene nicely for recreating the grand old days when Johnny Foreigner knew his place, and all the government cars were Rovers, and chianti came in straw-donkey bottles, and the radios still had Hilversum on the dials. Winston would have approved.

Apparently the designer is called Lulu Lytle. No further comment seems necessary.

BJ

Even if he were cheeky enough to try setting up a charity, a charity requires people to donate. Who would actually donate?

Steve

PS We have some old flavoured bottles of olive oil that my wife uses to decorate the kitchen, but I can't stand. They're about ten years old so for reasons of health and safety, I would obviously have to scratch off the sell-by date. He's welcome to all my old spectacles. I've got quite a few. Wrapped up in gift paper, he could use them as a Christmas present for Dominic Cummings. 8-)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 6th, 2021, 11:47 am

stevensfo wrote:Even if he were cheeky enough to try setting up a charity, a charity requires people to donate. Who would actually donate?

Those who donate to his party and associated causes now. A charity makes donation more efficient if he has donors who pay UK tax.

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » March 6th, 2021, 12:40 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Those who donate to his party and associated causes now. A charity makes donation more efficient if he has donors who pay UK tax.

If his donors pay UK tax, sounds like they are missing a trick

doolally

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » March 6th, 2021, 1:44 pm

Two stories have merged into one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56295191

The briefing room has had £2.5 million spent on it which is separate from the redecorating of the flat. Either way, I think it would be better spent on the nurses.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » March 6th, 2021, 2:02 pm

Two stories have merged into one.

Hence the fog of war.

T7

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 6th, 2021, 2:11 pm

Redmires wrote:Two stories have merged into one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56295191

The briefing room has had £2.5 million spent on it which is separate from the redecorating of the flat. Either way, I think it would be better spent on the nurses.

How rude! Are you implying that nurses should be redecorated?

I think they look fine the way they are. ;)

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 6th, 2021, 2:22 pm

Redmires wrote:The briefing room has had £2.5 million spent on it which is separate from the redecorating of the flat. Either way, I think it would be better spent on the nurses.

I'd say we could probably cover a pretty decent pay increase for the nurses if we enforced a little bit of a clawback from some of the crony deals that didn't go through the usual tendering processes. But whoops, that's getting political. ;)

Speaking as someone who's spent time in press briefing rooms, Number Ten's set-up is a bit shite by modern standards. Standing up at tall lecterns in bare oak-panelled rooms is not a good look these days - no wonder the covid team always look like frightened rats. It's no way to convey a modern outlook to the world.

And £2.5 million is not a particularly massive spend, considering the amount of fail-safe multi-screen multi-threading technology and whatnot that they seem to need these days. You could probably spend that much on kitting out a city gym.

Now this is how you do a press briefing on a budget. And nobody dares to answer back:

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 6th, 2021, 2:59 pm

I think the Jeremy Corbyn way is much better!

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » March 6th, 2021, 3:19 pm

Always wondered what happened to that nice cat loving George Galloway.

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » March 6th, 2021, 6:53 pm

stevensfo wrote:Even if he were cheeky enough to try setting up a charity, a charity requires people to donate. Who would actually donate?

With all these juicy PPE contracts being issued without tender to Conservative donors and supporters, who could possibly be interested in donating to a charity set up by the leader of the government to fund his wife's redecoration plans...

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 6th, 2021, 7:57 pm

I dare say this sort of apparently OTT expenditure goes on everywhere in Govt.
On the whole it's better for our BP that we don't know about it.

V8

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 6th, 2021, 9:24 pm

SteMiS wrote:

With all these juicy PPE contracts being issued without tender to Conservative donors and supporters, who could possibly be interested in donating to a charity set up by the leader of the government to fund his wife's redecoration plans...

Months ago, I remember reading a long report listing all these contracts, the huge amounts involved and all the unanswered questions. It was all quite surreal. In the real world, we have AML and KYC shoved down our throats and need valium at our sides if we dare to transfer more than 25p somewhere, yet on the other side of the looking glass, it seems that nothing's changed and anything goes.

Steve

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”