Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

10 years old 46% Ardbeg

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: 10 years old 46% Ardbeg

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 17th, 2021, 8:52 pm

PhaseThree wrote:The real problem bottles are an unopened Port Ellen - 14th release.
..... and a half drunk bottle of Black Bowmore 1964 second edition, also a birthday present.

I'll leave you to google the current value of last two bottles, but the latter would have help significantly towards the retirement fund if it was still sealed.

Strewth! I thought my home whisky consumption modest: it's sufficiently rare that a bottle's lifetime is measured in years.

But not decades!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 17th, 2021, 11:52 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
PhaseThree wrote:The real problem bottles are an unopened Port Ellen - 14th release.
..... and a half drunk bottle of Black Bowmore 1964 second edition, also a birthday present.

I'll leave you to google the current value of last two bottles, but the latter would have help significantly towards the retirement fund if it was still sealed.

Strewth! I thought my home whisky consumption modest: it's sufficiently rare that a bottle's lifetime is measured in years.

But not decades!

...but it goes off if you leave it in the bottle!

This has worked to my advantage a couple of times as tasting sessions
As after someone has had a couple of nips out an expensive bottle they'll use it up at the classes before it spoils
- that's the only way I ever would have discovered that I love 1980's 12 year old Lagavulin (class cost less than half the price of a measure)

- sd

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » May 20th, 2021, 8:46 am

Mike4 wrote:Laphroaig I find quite unpalatable under any circumstances. I've had a bottle in the cabinet for ten years now as I find it quite undrinkable.

I can help: the bottle clearly feels forsaken and needs the loving care and attention that only I can give.
And - oddly - I find Talisker too 'peppery' (yes literally; a white pepper taste).

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 20th, 2021, 9:00 am

stewamax wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Laphroaig I find quite unpalatable under any circumstances. I've had a bottle in the cabinet for ten years now as I find it quite undrinkable.

I can help: the bottle clearly feels forsaken and needs the loving care and attention that only I can give.
And - oddly - I find Talisker too 'peppery' (yes literally; a white pepper taste).

Yup that's Talisker! The shiraz of scotch
- I'll have to get some... just need to finish off a bottle of "the Classic Laddie" first

-sd

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 12th, 2022, 11:49 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Damn, just realised. My new bottle is the exact subject of this thread!

Having lived with this Ardbeg, I think I can now honestly say it's become my all-time favourite whisky. Superb!

But I remain open to new experiences. Especially if I should ever find myself drinking with a genuine connoisseur.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 19th, 2022, 6:41 pm

Thanks for reminding me that we've nearly run out... not of the Ardbeg.... I normally mix our whisky with ginger wine and ginger ale..... I imagine that might slightly obscure the subtlety... ;)

V8

johnstevens77
Lemon Slice

Postby johnstevens77 » April 11th, 2022, 9:35 am

My favourite "go to" scotch is Cask Islay, my choice for something special (at the moment) is Bunnahabhain 25 year old matured in oak, cask strength, with a splash of pure spring water to release all those aromas. Indeed, with a good scotch of this caliber, I seem to spend more time snifting than drinking! I don't bother with the likes of Chivers any more and I am not fond of Laphroaig either, having had the remains of a bottle in the cupboard for several years now.
I have 3 or 4 of other A.D.Rattray whiskies in stock, all different in aroma and taste. I drink scotch with great moderation, maybe only once a week, that way I am never too familiar with what is to come and able to appreciate what seems to be something new.

john

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 11th, 2022, 11:07 am

johnstevens77 wrote:My favourite "go to" scotch is Cask Islay, my choice for something special (at the moment) is Bunnahabhain 25 year old matured in oak, cask strength, with a splash of pure spring water to release all those aromas. Indeed, with a good scotch of this caliber, I seem to spend more time snifting than drinking! I don't bother with the likes of Chivers any more and I am not fond of Laphroaig either, having had the remains of a bottle in the cupboard for several years now.
I have 3 or 4 of other A.D.Rattray whiskies in stock, all different in aroma and taste. I drink scotch with great moderation, maybe only once a week, that way I am never too familiar with what is to come and able to appreciate what seems to be something new.

john

Just opened a bottle of the Classic Laddie from Bruichladdich (again!). As an unpeated Islay it's a very interesting mix of expectations.

Return to “Drink”