Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

National disgrace

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

National disgrace

Postby CliffEdge » July 18th, 2021, 3:56 pm

I am really pissed off with NS&I . It keeps chucking me off the website saying I've pressed the back button when I have not. But the worst thing is it's impossible to get hold of anyone who can help.

It's totally appalling. Is anyone else suffering. As soon as I can escape I will.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: National disgrace

Postby Dod101 » July 18th, 2021, 4:20 pm

CliffEdge wrote:I am really pissed off with NS&I . It keeps chucking me off the website saying I've pressed the back button when I have not. But the worst thing is it's impossible to get hold of anyone who can help.

It's totally appalling. Is anyone else suffering. As soon as I can escape I will.

It must be catching. It seems that you could be writing about First Direct according to yesterday's newspapers.

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 18th, 2021, 4:27 pm

Dod101 wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:I am really pissed off with NS&I . It keeps chucking me off the website saying I've pressed the back button when I have not. But the worst thing is it's impossible to get hold of anyone who can help.

It must be catching. It seems that you could be writing about First Direct according to yesterday's newspapers.

I have had fights with NatWest and HSBC in the last couple of weeks.

At HSBC my "personal banker" (I am Premier for what that is worth) told me that she could not help me with operational issues due to working at home (because of Covid, natch, that great excuse for poor service). She did tell me that she was still free to sell wealth management products and services, however. Useless.

NatWest are down to a skeleton staff in braches and actually have someone out on the street stopping you going in unless you have a "good enough" reason.

Screw the lot of them.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 18th, 2021, 4:31 pm

Lootman wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

I have had fights with NatWest and HSBC in the last couple of weeks.

At HSBC my "personal banker" (I am Premier for what that is worth) told me that she could not help me with operational issues due to working at home (because of Covid, natch, that great excuse for poor service). She did tell me that she was still free to sell wealth management products and services, however. Useless.

NatWest are down to a skeleton staff in braches and actually have someone out on the street stopping you going in unless you have a "good enough" reason.

Screw the lot of them.

I gave up on my 'personal banker' with HSBC some time ago. I think we mutually agreed that we were doing each other no good. I was not interested in her products and she appeared to be contributing nothing to my financial well being.

Dod

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » July 18th, 2021, 4:46 pm

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you experimented with using a different internet browser?

I usually use Firefox, but periodically find that I need to use Brave in order to fully render certain sites.

Alas I currently have Firefox, Brave and Chromium all installed on my current Ubuntu20.04 setup.

Sad, but true.

Matt

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 18th, 2021, 4:56 pm

It's totally appalling. Is anyone else suffering.

Nope. Just tried logging in and spent a few minutes going through my accounts and diving into various options and not had any problem at all.

What's more, if I try clicking the back button I get a popup that says:

For your security
You can't use the browser's back button when using our secure website.
Please only use the menus, buttons and links within our secure web pages.

And after I click the popup's "OK, got it" button it stays on the same page -- and with me still logged in. :o

That behaviour is new (to me at least), it certainly used to log you off if you hit the back button. I'm not sure when it changed to the new, much improved, behaviour, but it must be fairly recently I'd have thought...

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 18th, 2021, 4:58 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you experimented with using a different internet browser?

I usually use Firefox, but periodically find that I need to use Brave in order to fully render certain sites.

Alas I currently have Firefox, Brave and Chromium all installed on my current Ubuntu20.04 setup.

Sad, but true.

Matt

I've tried Firefox, Chrome, Edge, chromium on windows 7, 10, raspberry pi Linux and Android tablet. Useless website chucks me off on all of them.

No problem anywhere else.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » July 18th, 2021, 5:25 pm

It seems fine to me, so that's odd.
Do you have multiple accounts that you use (eg, you and a partner) ? Some websites (Looking at you Barclays stockbrokers, and Microsoft365) can't handle this and get very confused.

I don't know what else to suggest other than to clear all nsi related cookies in one of the browsers, and maybe saved passwords. Though it sounds as though you have covered those options

puffster
2 Lemon pips

Postby puffster » July 18th, 2021, 6:45 pm

Are you running something like an Ad blocker? If so then try disabling it for the website.

Regards, Puffster

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 19th, 2021, 11:08 am

Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Assuming you were referring to the article in The Times (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/they ... -szl5kptk0) I thought it interesting that half the calls made to it come from 15% of customers and 13% of balance enquiries were made by phone - who phones the bank to get a balance?

Obviously First Direct started as a ‘telephone bank’ and lots of people moved their banking to them on that basis. Over time however they introduced web based banking and then app based banking, and I would guess that they haven’t anticipated that their customers who joined them in 1989 are now 30 years older and some are not happy with the concept of web or app based banking and still want to speak to someone.

It seems they are between a rock and a hard place unless they continue to provide that expensive telephone resource to meet the demands of an increasingly shrinking number of customers who demand it.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”