Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Killings flies

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Stompa
Lemon Slice

Re: Killings flies

Postby Stompa » July 20th, 2021, 12:35 pm

kiloran wrote:
Stompa wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcing4U-Executioner-Mosquito-Swatter-Zapper/dp/B000MU2MJA/

A little more satisfying than the average fly swat.

Hmmm... I've been reading that this, like the UV zappers, tend to cause the flies to explode when they are zapped by the high voltage. Can't say I'm overkeen on bits of dead fly all over the place

--kiloran

There's always the Poundland version:

https://www.poundland.co.uk/357852-insect-terminator/

they don't seem to explode with that, and just get lightly grilled. It's then dead easy to shake the remains outside.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 20th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Flies deposit what I assume is fly-poo on windows.
In the interests of science - and of laying the fly equivalent of a Heffalump trap - I measured the number of deposits at various heights on several of my windows. The result is somewhere between exponential and a squared power law: low density until around 80% of the way up a window, then a sudden explosion that peaks at the top.
This being so, and assuming that the flies of Rutland are of roughly the same intellectual calibre and habit as those of other areas, even Yorkshire, it would make sense to tack flypaper horizontally across the top of a window: not a trivial task but worthwhile (except to flies)

I await some validation of this ground-breaking observation that can be replicated by experiment.

PS: how often does the Nobel selection committee sit?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 20th, 2021, 2:47 pm

Which prize would you like?
Don't tempt me :lol: :lol:

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 20th, 2021, 3:28 pm

Stompa wrote:
kiloran wrote:
Stompa wrote:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcing4U-Executioner-Mosquito-Swatter-Zapper/dp/B000MU2MJA/

Hmmm... I've been reading that this, like the UV zappers, tend to cause the flies to explode when they are zapped by the high voltage. Can't say I'm overkeen on bits of dead fly all over the place

--kiloran

they don't seem to explode with that, and just get lightly grilled. It's then dead easy to shake the remains outside.

Yeah, I've got one of them.
I use it when my chameleon is sleeping.......he seems to enjoy them when they've been lightly grilled.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 20th, 2021, 3:48 pm

Stompa wrote:
kiloran wrote:

Hmmm... I've been reading that this, like the UV zappers, tend to cause the flies to explode when they are zapped by the high voltage. Can't say I'm overkeen on bits of dead fly all over the place--kiloran

In a restaurant, I once saw a privet hawk moth enter one of these zappers. SPLAT - and the resulting scorched smell was familiar to anyone ham-fisted with a soldering iron; put me right off my dinner.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » July 20th, 2021, 3:59 pm

A quick note on the UV tube fly killers - You need to change the tubes regularly to keep them effective.
The insects are attracted to the UV glow of the tube, this is not the same as the blue glow that you can.
The blue glow will continue long after UV output has diminished to the point that the flies are no longer interested.

Commercially the recommendation is to change tubes every year - At home I find that changing every 2-3 years works for me.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » July 20th, 2021, 5:15 pm

In this corner of Rutland we have a small dog who is quite keen on tracking down the few flies I've seen.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » July 20th, 2021, 6:47 pm

I highy recommend electric tennis racquets. They are very cheap - well under £10, and it makes great sport, as you get little sparks when hit hit one of the little b*ggers, rather like the bails lighting up when the ball hits the stumps in televised cricket matches.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 21st, 2021, 12:44 am

kiloran wrote:It's a wee bit warm, so with the windows open, flies are invading the house. I hate them with a vengeance....

...Any recommendations, apart from wait for winter?

--kiloran

You could take a leaf out of Thomas Alva Edison's book*. His novel solution for cockroaches while working as a telegraph operator in Boston should also work on flies that are climbing up the walls....

Thomas Alva Edison wrote:I pasted two strips of tinfoil on the wall at my desk, connecting one piece to the positive pole of the big battery supplying current to the wires and the negative pole to the other strip. The cockroaches moving up on the wall would pass over the strips. The moment they got their legs across both strips there was a flash of light and the cockroaches went into gas.

* literally - that quote came from this book that I read in my youth...

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/820/820 ... nk2HCH0006

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » July 21st, 2021, 10:53 am

pje16 wrote:

Looks like a great bit of kit
It's on my shopping list for someone I know who hates them
He will love this

Beware the smell!

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » July 24th, 2021, 10:04 pm

kiloran wrote:A fly swat is effective and provides a satisfying thwack when a fly is dispatched, but it can be a long process, especially for those pesky ones that buzz around for ever without landing
Any recommendations, apart from wait for winter?

I swat them in mid air with a regular fly swat so it avoids smearing them on the walls or the windows. Also saves waiting for them to land.

The trick is to watch their flight for a few cycles around the room before making any attempt, so you can evaluate their flight without alerting them to your intentions, then time it when they're heading towards you and you've got a lot of clear space to swing the swat without breaking things - pay attention to where your light fittings are in the ceilings, etc when choosing your swing zone.

Be sure to use a fast swing so the fly doesn't have time to react, and also to effect the stun.

If you miss on the first swing, try again rapidly a couple of times... the first will have disoriented and alarmed the fly, so you've got a good chance of getting it the second or third times before it regains its composure again.

You've just got to watch carefully for where they fall after the whack (usually they'll bounce off a wall if you've hit them hard enough). It usually just stuns them - but that gives you about 10 seconds to find them and properly dispatch them before they wake up and fly off again.

That said I don't get many flies... I find regularly emptying the kitchen bin helps avoid them in the first place.

The above works for flies in the UK.

We stayed in a chalet in Switzerland a few years ago that had rather a lot of flies. These tended to sit on the wall in the evening, but were a little jumpy if you tried to swat them. The trick I found, was to get some tissue or loo roll in your fingers (held like you were going to pick something up in it), then advance on the fly very slowly while it's sitting on the wall ... watch carefully as you get very close.. you'll notice the legs tense up as it realises something might be getting close... if you see that, just pause for a few seconds to let the fly calm down, before advancing on it even slower... all the way up until you're about an inch away from it ... at that point you're then close enough to push the remaining distance quickly, and grab it with the loo roll without it having time to fly off.

Back in the UK, I've also found the flies in work's workshop tend to be quite docile. So much so that you can grab them in mid air with your hand. Albeit, they tend to fit into the gaps between your fingers, so as soon as you open your hand they tend to fly away again - the trick is to throw them at the floor as you open your hand, so that that stuns them. Grabbing them in mid air by hand does tend to impress colleagues. But obviously it requires a hand wash before then touching anything.

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » July 25th, 2021, 3:42 am

onthemove wrote:We stayed in a chalet in Switzerland a few years ago that had rather a lot of flies. These tended to sit on the wall in the evening, but were a little jumpy if you tried to swat them. The trick I found, was to get some tissue or loo roll in your fingers (held like you were going to pick something up in it), then advance on the fly very slowly while it's sitting on the wall ... watch carefully as you get very close.. you'll notice the legs tense up as it realises something might be getting close... if you see that, just pause for a few seconds to let the fly calm down, before advancing on it even slower... all the way up until you're about an inch away from it ... at that point you're then close enough to push the remaining distance quickly, and grab it with the loo roll without it having time to fly off.

Another trick that I remember working with houseflies that are stationary on a surface is a single clap just above the back of the fly. Apparently they have to push off from a surface before being able to fly, so they jump into the closing hands, but as OTM says in the final part of his post, either they remain alive, snug between the fingers, or it's a case of handwashing.

torata

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » July 27th, 2021, 6:27 am

The method I recommend is labour intensive, can be messy, but is very satisfying and can be quite impressive when you get good at it.

Many years ago I spent a summer doing survey work on a Scottish island, myself and a colleague used a busy farm as our base and had the use of the newly painted farm managers office for writing up our survey reports. The office was a bit stuffy so the door remained open and the room would fill with a variety of flies all buzzing round in a small cloud in the middle of the room. the farm manager was rarely there.

Taking part inspiration from ‘Our man Flint’ I started trying to shoot them using an elastic band and soon my colleague joined in. At first it was very hit and miss; mainly miss…. However,it was surprising how quickly we got good at it. Initially we experimented with using the elastic band to fire things at them, but quickly realised that the band itself was weapon enough. A number of methods and techniques were developed.
It was best to wait until the fly landed and then fire, you could of course increase accuracy by approaching the fly but that was considered unsporting, the unwritten rule was you must remain in your seat. Even so, Soon the strike rate was well over 50% and we had a big pot of elastic bands at the ready (but tended to rely on a few favourites), we could hit a fly at the other end of the room and every once in a while might even knock one out of the air. We would have competitions to see who could bag the most.

This went on for a few weeks until the farm manager went ballistic due to the hundreds of red smears on the pristine white walls of his newly painted office.

BH

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 27th, 2021, 10:18 am

We bought one of these as a joke present for my brother in law. Imagine our surprise when it turned out to be really rather effective. ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fly-Gun-Colour ... B001158V04 (In case you're wondering, the disc is tethered by a length of string so that you don't destroy everything in the room.)

BJ

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 27th, 2021, 10:25 am

bionichamster wrote:Taking part inspiration from ‘Our man Flint’

A blast from the past
My dad used to call him the poor man's James Bond :lol:

Return to “Does anyone know?”