Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The pipe dream of net zero carbon emissions

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Re: The pipe dream of net zero carbon emissions

Postby Sorcery » September 6th, 2021, 12:11 am

I am not sure what I said wrong there. No need for everyone to depart, just the deliberately silly ones.

If I may I will continue, got to admire the chutzpah of this guy, last week he was telling us wind and hydrogen will solve our problems, now he is lamenting Russia's stranglehold on NG. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... erilously/

He might not be a person to be trusted to be consistent. O&G likely until fusion or otherwise forever imho. Cheers.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » September 6th, 2021, 9:01 am

Sorcery wrote:I am not sure what I said wrong there. No need for everyone to depart, just the deliberately silly ones.

If I may I will continue, got to admire the chutzpah of this guy, last week he was telling us wind and hydrogen will solve our problems, now he is lamenting Russia's stranglehold on NG. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... erilously/

He might not be a person to be trusted to be consistent. O&G likely until fusion or otherwise forever imho. Cheers.

In recent years I have not taken Evans-Pritchard seriously. He was just about the only Telegraph reporter to survive being laid off a couple of years ago because his Prophet of Doom writings were popular with readers. But I think in this case he is aware of the major looming short term gas supply crunch which our politicians and civil servants seem to have completelyt missed.

The UK has not invested in gas storage facilities, and our only useful one - the Rough field - became unuseable in 2017. Instead we have become dependent on (1) gas from the floating LNG market, which is now beset by problems due to Covid and competition in Far Eastern markets, and (2) imports of gas and electricity from the EU & Russia, who will use their leverage to blackmail us. We just better pray for a mild winter. It is the fault of Governments and civil servants in hock to the climate change mythology, and who have been taken in by the claims of the wind energy lobby.

I am getting in a stockpile of firewood over the next few weeks.

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » September 6th, 2021, 11:40 am

Sorcery wrote:I am not sure what I said wrong there. No need for everyone to depart, just the deliberately silly ones.

Whereas Hydrogen fuel cells may make sense for aircraft but it makes no sense for road vehicles, industry, etc where batteries are a better store of power. It takes 3x the power generation capacity to use hydrogen but our government loves the idea!

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » September 6th, 2021, 6:09 pm

At least we have some coal plant left:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... er-prices/

We are already relying on it, and it doesn't even feel like Autumn yet.

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » September 6th, 2021, 9:55 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:

In recent years I have not taken Evans-Pritchard seriously. He was just about the only Telegraph reporter to survive being laid off a couple of years ago because his Prophet of Doom writings were popular with readers. But I think in this case he is aware of the major looming short term gas supply crunch which our politicians and civil servants seem to have completelyt missed.

The UK has not invested in gas storage facilities, and our only useful one - the Rough field - became unuseable in 2017. Instead we have become dependent on (1) gas from the floating LNG market, which is now beset by problems due to Covid and competition in Far Eastern markets, and (2) imports of gas and electricity from the EU & Russia, who will use their leverage to blackmail us. We just better pray for a mild winter. It is the fault of Governments and civil servants in hock to the climate change mythology, and who have been taken in by the claims of the wind energy lobby.

I am getting in a stockpile of firewood over the next few weeks.

Yes I may have been overcome by Ambrose's frequent about turns. He mentioned a company recently involved in making batteries where the fuel is Cobalt 60 and therefore radioactive but not so bad in the sense no neutrons are emitted. They reckon they had a better photovoltaic cell to trap the radiation emitted. I was sufficiently intrigued to track this company down and attend a video call of theirs where we could invest if we wished. The video meeting was an invitation by the company prompted by interest in Ambroses's article. So anyway they were offering a 10% yield on a loan to them. I would have done it for 0% and shares if I liked the idea. Only got one question in that was answered.
I said : "Where does the heat go?"
CEO said : "Not enough heat to make a cup of tea"
Oh no I thought.
I could be misunderstanding the CEO I suppose. It would be a real shame if he was for real. :lol:

I'm no expert on gas supplies, but we get it from our own seas, Norway, European interconnector and via LNG. Are all at risk?

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » September 7th, 2021, 8:48 am

Sorcery wrote:I'm no expert on gas supplies, but we get it from our own seas, Norway, European interconnector and via LNG. Are all at risk?

Nor am I. It depends if the gas supplies are affected by:
1) Fixed or variable gas prices
2) Interruptable or non interruptable contracts
3) Overt or covert actions by 3d parties i.e. countries the gas may travel through etc

At the end of the day, one has to ask, do we trust the French or the Russians, or any Middle Eastern country to continue to supply all our gas (or electricity) needs if they see we are running short?

There were rumours in the press (I don't know how well founded) that the French would bargain continued winter electricity supply against access to UK fishing grounds. It was a threat they used against Jersey, so one has to give it credence. The trouble is, I believe the typical civil servant at the Treasury will say 'Oh, the fishing industry is worth little to us, but building a new power station will be expensive, so we will just go along with what the French demand' - which I think is entirely the wrong attitude.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » September 7th, 2021, 11:14 am

Nimrod103 wrote:At least we have some coal plant left:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... er-prices/

We are already relying on it, and it doesn't even feel like Autumn yet.

Define relying on it. Its producing 3% of the UK's power today (7/9/21 source https://carbonintensity.org.uk/) and according to the BBC that's more down to the price of gas being so high at the moment such that coal is cheaper than that we have to use it because we have no other choice. I was also surprised that the carbon intensity here (NE Scotland) is 0 today as I was expecting some gas usage as we are in the middle of a calm spell, but no wind is producing 67% of the power today.

I'll be interested in what is going to happen with all the power generation from offshore wind in the not too distant future as there is a lot of new capacity going in at the moment. I wonder if the grid is up to transporting it where needed and if we are going to get sufficient storage to use up excess production in times of too much generation for use when there is too little generation.

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » September 7th, 2021, 11:35 am

This also isn't the first time we've used coal recently, as you can see from the historic graphs here:
https://gridwatch.co.uk/coal
We started to use coal at about the same time last year.

Feels more like a headline than an actual news story.

Edit: As I write this, Wind is at 2%, CCGT at 46%, for GB as a whole.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » September 7th, 2021, 12:32 pm

murraypaul wrote:This also isn't the first time we've used coal recently, as you can see from the historic graphs here:
https://gridwatch.co.uk/coal
We started to use coal at about the same time last year.

Feels more like a headline than an actual news story.

Edit: As I write this, Wind is at 2%, CCGT at 46%, for GB as a whole.

Interesting, carbonintensity.org.uk has it at 4% now, but that could just be the variability over the day. Yet up here (NE Scotland) were at 70% from wind. So North of Scotland's power usage as a % of total UK usage must be very small. May even be small compared to Scotland as a whole as South of Scotland is getting most of its power from nuclear (91%) at the moment.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 7th, 2021, 10:28 pm

Blue hydrogen is being enthusiastically promoted by natural gas producers as the simplest and cheapest answer to decarbonising our economies. But recent studies have shown that it's overall greenhouse gas emissions footprint is worse than natural gas. So, is this just the latest in a long series of diversions and deceptions from the fossil fuel industry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EA4tDYwNYo

RC

spasmodicus
Lemon Slice

Postby spasmodicus » September 8th, 2021, 10:37 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:
Blue hydrogen is being enthusiastically promoted by natural gas producers as the simplest and cheapest answer to decarbonising our economies. But recent studies have shown that it's overall greenhouse gas emissions footprint is worse than natural gas. So, is this just the latest in a long series of diversions and deceptions from the fossil fuel industry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EA4tDYwNYo

RC

first the youtube video promises to give a link to the original paper in "the comments section below", but I couldn't find it, so here it is
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ese3.956

this has been discussed over on https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=434575#p434575

Oh no it isn't, oh yes it is! It's another show in the pantomime like pantheon of the climate change debate. Whether we like it, or agree with it, or not, it has been decided by those on high** that there shalt be zero carbon emissions from the UK by 2050, but without any credible plan for getting there.
The Achilles heel of blue hydrogen would appear to be the associated methane emissions, not (as I would have thought) the cost of capturing and storing the CO2 produced. The paper in question does not explore the possibilty of legislation to reduce these methane emissions, or technology to do it, which surely would not be rocket science. Conspicuous by its absence in the paper is an assessment of the environmental impacts of production of completely green hydrogen from renewable electricity which is a) expensive and b) requires construction of a lot of plant for the electricity generation and electrolysis, along with the associated despoilation from mining and construction. Amid all the shock horror, the possibilty that natural gas may become much more expensive seems not to have been considered.

Bah! I can't make sense of any of this.
S

** let's hope that those on high are high enough to avoid the promised sea level rises. see, for example
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/288833634_Shore_platforms_and_raised_beach_deposits_at_Porthleven_and_the_Most_Southerly_Point_west_Cornwall

spasmodicus
Lemon Slice

Postby spasmodicus » September 13th, 2021, 1:24 pm

...and furthermore,
https://inews.co.uk/news/fewer-heat-pumps-are-sold-and-installed-in-the-uk-than-almost-any-other-country-in-europe-1195405

not, mind you, that I'm entirely convinced that ripping out gas boilers in 22 milion homes in the UK and replacing them with complicated, expensive and unreliable heat pumps is going to save much emitted CO2 in the short term. It's a better idea to tackle a) the problem of poor home insulation and b) the leaky gas grid, i.e. the low hanging fruit. Even Boris could understand that level of technology.
S

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » September 13th, 2021, 3:46 pm

spasmodicus wrote:...and furthermore,
https://inews.co.uk/news/fewer-heat-pumps-are-sold-and-installed-in-the-uk-than-almost-any-other-country-in-europe-1195405

not, mind you, that I'm entirely convinced that ripping out gas boilers in 22 milion homes in the UK and replacing them with complicated, expensive and unreliable heat pumps is going to save much emitted CO2 in the short term. It's a better idea to tackle a) the problem of poor home insulation and b) the leaky gas grid, i.e. the low hanging fruit. Even Boris could understand that level of technology.
S

Are they complicated and unreliable? The technology is little different to a fridge.

I agree ripping out gas boilers in 22 million homes would be daft, but it would be sensible to stop fitting gas boilers in new homes after a set date in the not too distant future and also mandating that when it comes time to replace existing gas boilers that should also stop at a set date in the not too distant future.

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » September 13th, 2021, 9:35 pm

Over in the USA Oil and gas companies continue to be among the biggest risers today :
https://markets.businessinsider.com/ind ... rs/s&p_500

They have been up there since the OP on quite a few days. It would seem whatever Boris and his wife's ambitions are, the market (but not the UK) does not agree with them. The O&G sector in the USA is up 55% this year, Nothing much left to invest in, in the UK, BP, Shell and Centrica are firmly on board with Boris, divesting a lot of their O&G fields.
Genel & Enquest, DEC and HBR (merged with Premier) are maybe OK, Tullow, Pharos (was SOCO), Rockhopper, JKX, look pretty well beaten up. Any other ideas?

Disclosure I hold them all apart from BP and Shell, Centrica is on the discard list.

I am off grid for a couple of weeks, on holiday in Spain to celebrate my daughter's wedding to a Spaniard. May get a chance to look in occasionally, :-)
Cheers.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 15th, 2021, 4:41 pm

Sorcery wrote:Over in the USA Oil and gas companies continue to be among the biggest risers today :

They have been up there since the OP on quite a few days. It would seem whatever Boris and his wife's ambitions are, the market (but not the UK) does not agree with them.

Ultimately it'll be more a question of: "Does reality agree with them?" ;)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 15th, 2021, 4:52 pm

XFool wrote:
Sorcery wrote:Over in the USA Oil and gas companies continue to be among the biggest risers today :

They have been up there since the OP on quite a few days. It would seem whatever Boris and his wife's ambitions are, the market (but not the UK) does not agree with them.

Do you invest on that basis i.e. that your personal perception of reality knows better than the reality of the entire market?

What typically is your annual out-performance over the index investing that way? Might be hard for you this year if you have been out of energy on the basis that "you know better". :D

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 15th, 2021, 5:13 pm

Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:

Do you invest on that basis i.e. that your personal perception of reality knows better than the reality of the entire market?

What typically is your annual out-performance over the index investing that way? Might be hard for you this year if you have been out of energy on the basis that "you know better". :D

Oh dear! Missing the point yet again. :lol:

You think, long term, the market can buck reality? But then, I wasn't really making an investment point...

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 15th, 2021, 5:20 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:Ultimately it'll be more a question of: "Does reality agree with them?" ;)

You think, long term, the market can buck reality? But then, I wasn't really making an investment point...

Back when I worked in the markets we had a saying: "A long term investment is a short term investment that went wrong".

But of course your point presupposes that people agree about what is reality, and they do not. It is just opinions.

And although you weren't trying to make an investment point, that isn't a bad way to look at such issues. Normally if A believes one thing and B believes a different thing, there is no way to know who was right. It is all too subjective, which is why nobody ever wins a political debate here. But if A backs up his view with a trade, and B takes the other side of that trade, then it is very easy to know who was right - the one who ends up with more money.

Anyone taking your view at the beginning of this year will have lost money. But of course you can always hope the future is different. And even if it isn't you can claim it just hasn't happened yet!

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 15th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:You think, long term, the market can buck reality? But then, I wasn't really making an investment point...

Back when I worked in the markets we had a saying: "A long term investment is a short term investment that went wrong".

But of course your point presupposes that people agree about what is reality, and they do not. It is just opinions.

Oh dear! Reality doesn't do 'consultations' or take 'opinion polls'. Doesn't need to hit an 'annual return on investment' target, or do politics. Just saying.
Last edited by XFool on September 15th, 2021, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 15th, 2021, 5:31 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:You think, long term, the market can buck reality? But then, I wasn't really making an investment point...

Reality doesn't do 'consultations' or take 'opinion polls'. Doesn't need to 'invest', get a 'return on investment', or do politics.

I was just hoping to become a better investor by understanding your superior sense of what constitutes "reality". I imagine with an inside track on reality, your investment results must be very impressive. And this is an investment board.

Return to “Oil & Gas & Energy (Sector & Companies)”