Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby swill453 » September 13th, 2021, 6:54 pm

Julian wrote:Looks like vaccination of 12 - 15 year olds is going ahead in all 4 UK nations....

Children aged 12 to 15 will be given Covid vaccinations, the UK’s four chief medical officers have decided, setting aside the view of the government’s vaccine watchdog that the clinical benefits of such jabs were too minimal to justify them.

[ Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -covid-jab ]

As far as vaccination policy goes in the UK there's still the uncertainty about booster shot eligibility to be resolved. I hear that Boris is doing a press conference tomorrow afternoon so maybe we will get the answer to that then.

It's being leaked that a booster programme for the over 50s will be announced. Single Pfizer shot 6 months after 2nd vaccination.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/14 ... 0905158657

Scott.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 13th, 2021, 6:59 pm

Good news thanks Scott
I've had 4 monthly blood tests after 2nd jab and they have all shown postive for antibodies
5th test was yesterday and am waiting for results, was wondering when that protection would expire
may not have to worry now ;)

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 13th, 2021, 9:12 pm

swill453 wrote:
Julian wrote:Looks like vaccination of 12 - 15 year olds is going ahead in all 4 UK nations....

Children aged 12 to 15 will be given Covid vaccinations, the UK’s four chief medical officers have decided, setting aside the view of the government’s vaccine watchdog that the clinical benefits of such jabs were too minimal to justify them.

[ Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -covid-jab ]

As far as vaccination policy goes in the UK there's still the uncertainty about booster shot eligibility to be resolved. I hear that Boris is doing a press conference tomorrow afternoon so maybe we will get the answer to that then.

It's being leaked that a booster programme for the over 50s will be announced. Single Pfizer shot 6 months after 2nd vaccination.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/14 ... 0905158657

Scott.

Great news in my opinion. Thanks for that.

As a 52 year old(*) I would definitely take that up. Admittedly the trial could probably benefit from a quite few more weeks of data(**) but so far the results from Israel re booster efficacy look promising. John Campbell looks at that Israeli trial and IMO explains it quite well in this video - https://youtu.be/MDx8nRWuC3Q

- Julian

(*) VAT not included, full-up age is 62.

(**) Plus the Israel trial is only (or predominantly, I’m not sure if Moderna is in the initial vaccine mix) looking at Pfizer+Pfizer plus Pfizer booster whereas for the UK, and for me specifically, AZ+AZ plus booster is of personal interest.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 14th, 2021, 12:47 am

Julian wrote: Pfizer+Pfizer plus Pfizer booster

I notice that Pfizer seem to be really pushing that combo; I think I fancy a Moderna next

- sd

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » September 14th, 2021, 12:52 am

swill453 wrote:It's being leaked that a booster programme for the over 50s will be announced. Single Pfizer shot 6 months after 2nd vaccination.

In other news, vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi was challenged by Labour's Shadow Health Minister* for being 3 months behind schedule for the new booster programme...

More seriously, I'm intrigued by the decision to give boosters just as it seems we're about to roll out the vaccine to 12-15 year olds. Should keep the vaccine centres busy until the flu jabs are ready for distribution!

VRD

*Not that I know of, but surely too good an opportunity to miss! :lol:

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 14th, 2021, 10:55 am

vrdiver wrote:More seriously, I'm intrigued by the decision to give boosters just as it seems we're about to roll out the vaccine to 12-15 year olds. Should keep the vaccine centres busy until the flu jabs are ready for distribution!

I thought that the idea was to give the booster in one arm, and the flu jab in the other, at a single session. If the NHS are short handed it might improve their productivity.

TJH

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 14th, 2021, 11:17 am

tjh290633 wrote:I thought that the idea was to give the booster in one arm, and the flu jab in the other, at a single session. If the NHS are short handed it might improve their productivity.

TJH

My GP was efficient last year, Flu in left arm, Pneumonia (worth getting as it lasts a lifetime) in the right arm (no after effects :lol: )

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » September 14th, 2021, 12:10 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I thought that the idea was to give the booster in one arm, and the flu jab in the other, at a single session.

I'd heard that too. However, I received my invite for a flu jab this morning, though following the accompanying link informs me that there are 'no sessions available'.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 14th, 2021, 12:34 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
vrdiver wrote:More seriously, I'm intrigued by the decision to give boosters just as it seems we're about to roll out the vaccine to 12-15 year olds. Should keep the vaccine centres busy until the flu jabs are ready for distribution!

I thought that the idea was to give the booster in one arm, and the flu jab in the other, at a single session. If the NHS are short handed it might improve their productivity.

Had my flu vaccination last Saturday. No information as yet wrt COVID booster.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 14th, 2021, 2:41 pm

There's obviously (I assume!) no medical reason to administer a flu vaccine and a Covid-19 booster shot at the same time, it's simply a strategy for increasing the speed of the rollout of both booster and flu-jab by increasing the "productivity" of the vaccination stations. If doses of the flu jab were already coming on stream before the strategy for the C-19 boosters was announced then if currently unused vaccination stations are available to give the injection it makes sense in terms of efficiency to try and get as many flu jabs out of the way as possible hence it doesn't surprise me to hear people being contacted now solely to get a flu jab with no mention of a C-19 booster.

Getting at least some stand-alone flu jabs out of the way ASAP means that all those people who have already had this year's flu jab will take fractionally less time at the vaccination centre when they come back to get their C-19 booster plus those centres only need to ensure adequate supply of the Pfizer vaccine for the already-had-my-flu-jab patients on any given day rather than needing to ensure that there is both a dose of Pfizer and a dose of the flu vaccine available for patient on their appointment day. That makes the logistics a bit easier too especially if there is any supply shortage for the flu vaccine over the next few months.

- Julian

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 14th, 2021, 2:46 pm

pje16 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:I thought that the idea was to give the booster in one arm, and the flu jab in the other, at a single session. If the NHS are short handed it might improve their productivity.

TJH

My GP was efficient last year, Flu in left arm, Pneumonia (worth getting as it lasts a lifetime) in the right arm (no after effects :lol: )

D'oh. I misread that at first and thought "What, you never recover? Pneumonia lingers for your whole life?". I now realise that you were talking about the efficacy of the vaccine, or at least I hope you were.

- Julian

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 14th, 2021, 2:50 pm

Julian wrote:
pje16 wrote:

TJH

D'oh. I misread that at first and thought "What, you never recover? Pneumonia lingers for your whole life?". I now realise that you were talking about the efficacy of the vaccine, or at least I hope you were.

- Julian

I see my English wasn't the best there :oops:
I meants it's one jab that's good for life, although I was told some people (don't know why) need it every 5 years

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 14th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Julian wrote:There's obviously (I assume!) no medical reason to administer a flu vaccine and a Covid-19 booster shot at the same time,

Depends on the definition of "at the same time"?

You don't need them administered in the same visit
But you want them active over the same period; both viruses spread in the same conditions, in the same way, most probably with similar seasonality ( once sars-cov2 settles down to be truly endemic)

While NPIs as a response to COVID all but eradicated flu last couple of seasons, with these being removed you'll see it come back; and I suspect there's going to be more of a push for flu vaccine coverage of the population in general than there has been in the past.
They really really don't want people catching both at the same time

So I'd say it's a bit of both logistically and medically motivated (but yeah.... probably mostly logistics ;) which makes great sense)

-sd

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 14th, 2021, 5:40 pm

As if 2021 wasn't bizarre enough, we have the Prime Minister at a press conference discussing the swollen testicles of US singer Nicki Minaj's cousin's friend...

Scott.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 14th, 2021, 5:44 pm

servodude wrote:
Julian wrote:There's obviously (I assume!) no medical reason to administer a flu vaccine and a Covid-19 booster shot at the same time,

Depends on the definition of "at the same time"?

You don't need them administered in the same visit
But you want them active over the same period; both viruses spread in the same conditions, in the same way, most probably with similar seasonality ( once sars-cov2 settles down to be truly endemic)

While NPIs as a response to COVID all but eradicated flu last couple of seasons, with these being removed you'll see it come back; and I suspect there's going to be more of a push for flu vaccine coverage of the population in general than there has been in the past.
They really really don't want people catching both at the same time

So I'd say it's a bit of both logistically and medically motivated (but yeah.... probably mostly logistics ;) which makes great sense)

-sd

Indeed. I did mean "in the same visit" but it's a good point about the desirability of having people with active immunity to both flu and Covid-19 at the same time. Offering the convenience of getting both flu and C-19 in the same visit, assuming that is the plan shortly, could be beneficial in persuading more people who don't usually take up the flu vaccine (me being a case in point) to get it this year (and yes, I will be getting a flu jab for the first time this year).

Would this administer-in-one-visit convenience to entice more people to get both vaccines count as an example of what these policy wonks call a "nudge"?

- Julian

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 14th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Julian wrote: I did mean "in the same visit" but it's a good point about the desirability of having people with active immunity to both flu and Covid-19 at the same time. Offering the convenience of getting both flu and C-19 in the same visit, assuming that is the plan shortly, could be beneficial in persuading more people who don't usually take up the flu vaccine (me being a case in point) to get it this year (and yes, I will be getting a flu jab for the first time this year).

Would this administer-in-one-visit convenience to entice more people to get both vaccines count as an example of what these policy wonks call a "nudge"?

When I had my jabs I was asked if I had had another jab within the prior 2 weeks. That rather implies there is some risk to having two jabs close together. At least unless the specific combination has been tested together. Has it?

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » September 14th, 2021, 6:37 pm

swill453 wrote:
pje16 wrote:Unless they improve it, anymore spent on Track & Trace is a complete waste :roll:

"Track and Trace" isn't a thing. It's "Test and Trace". Tracking and Tracing are basically the same word.

(It's important and not pedantic, because as I pointed out above, it's the Test part that's used up the most money.)

EDIT: Just realised that I used "Track & Trace" myself in my post above, so it's easily done :-) apologies.)

Scott.

Track and Trace is a thing. Royal Mail has been offering it for years and it's very handy! https://services.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » September 14th, 2021, 6:43 pm

Lootman wrote:
Julian wrote: I did mean "in the same visit" but it's a good point about the desirability of having people with active immunity to both flu and Covid-19 at the same time. Offering the convenience of getting both flu and C-19 in the same visit, assuming that is the plan shortly, could be beneficial in persuading more people who don't usually take up the flu vaccine (me being a case in point) to get it this year (and yes, I will be getting a flu jab for the first time this year).

When I had my jabs I was asked if I had had another jab within the prior 2 weeks. That rather implies there is some risk to having two jabs close together. At least unless the specific combination has been tested together. Has it?

Not sure but I have had multiple vaccines in a single visit at a "travel clinic" before visiting some of the remoter parts of emerging market countries. Was your vaccination in the early days when they had less data and were being very cautious with an emergency use authorized vaccine?

Personally my main concern is that my Flu vaccine would be delayed to late November if waiting 6 months after my second COVID jag.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 14th, 2021, 6:56 pm

AWOL wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Was your vaccination in the early days when they had less data and were being very cautious with an emergency use authorized vaccine?

February, so early days I guess.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 14th, 2021, 8:20 pm

Lootman wrote:

Yes. Details of the trial started in April this year are here - https://fundingawards.nihr.ac.uk/award/NIHR203243

I believe that interim results from the trial above was one of the inputs to the government’s decision making process.

- Julian

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”