Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Formula 1 - Drive to Survive - Netflix

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Formula 1 - Drive to Survive - Netflix

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 29th, 2021, 11:01 pm

I gave up watching F1 years ago as it seemed like a procession.

But this documentary is just the other end of the scale. It's very interesting and both me and my good lady have been absolutely transfixed.

Really worth watching in our opinion

AiY

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Formula 1 - Drive to Survive - Netflix

Postby pje16 » September 30th, 2021, 6:16 am

same here, F1 is like watching fast traffic (esp Monaco)
but Drive to Survive is well worth a look

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 30th, 2021, 9:25 am

Just watched the Schumacher documentary on Netflix . Very good. Reminded me of what a flawed genius he was rather than the boring automaton that I had fixed in my faulty memory of him.

Sad to see how his active life has been ended at such a relatively young age.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 30th, 2021, 9:29 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I gave up watching F1 years ago as it seemed like a procession.

But this documentary is just the other end of the scale. It's very interesting and both me and my good lady have been absolutely transfixed.

Really worth watching in our opinion

AiY

Yes it seems that these days F1 is often more interesting with regard to what is happening behind the scenes than on the track. Although that behind the scene activity, at Red Bull vs Mercedes and how their respective car improvement schedule has worked out, has resulted in a genuinely interesting season this year that could go either way.

I will have to watch this series.

John

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 30th, 2021, 1:52 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Just watched the Schumacher documentary on Netflix . Very good. Reminded me of what a flawed genius he was rather than the boring automaton that I had fixed in my faulty memory of him.

Sad to see how his active life has been ended at such a relatively young age.

John

Yes I had no idea how driven (no pun) he was
and great to see the other side of his personality too

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » October 7th, 2021, 5:53 pm

Just started. Very well done indeed and I'm not an avid F1 viewer.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » October 12th, 2021, 1:20 pm

As a result of this thread, been watching this. Now up to S1 E10. Didn't know much about F1 before, now I have learned that it is absolutely bonkers. Series could have done with a bit more explanation of the "sport", it does focus almost exclusively on personalities but enjoyable anyway.

For those of you that know about F1, are there any rules regarding the cars touching each other during a race? Sometimes it looks like a contact sport!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 12th, 2021, 1:33 pm

bluedonkey wrote:For those of you that know about F1, are there any rules regarding the cars touching each other during a race? Sometimes it looks like a contact sport!

If you enjoy seeing wrecks then you might enjoy NASCAR more. With NASCAR, crashes are considered part of the fun and entertainment. Some fans attend races hoping for crashes, and cheer when they happen. A very different world than F1, which has a rule for everything and where contact is frowned upon.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » October 12th, 2021, 4:25 pm

It is supposed to be a no contact sport and drivers are penalised if the stewards decide it is deliberate or careless or even just overoptimistic.

Rob

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » October 12th, 2021, 5:02 pm

robbelg wrote:It is supposed to be a no contact sport and drivers are penalised if the stewards decide it is deliberate or careless or even just overoptimistic.

Rob

Thanks. It would have been good if the series had made that sort of thing clear to newcomers like me. The series showed lots of crashes but the official consequences were rarely made clear.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » October 12th, 2021, 8:08 pm

I think the whole series is brilliant and had no interest before but actually tuned into the Turkish GP to see the progress of the drivers and their teams.
Certainly gives you an insight to this sport and to see how Ferrari have not had any real success now for years. It also seems that they all started with go-karts and many grew up together, so the rivalry and friendship on and off the track can be difficult. Some of the camera angles and actions, absolutely superb and gives you an idea of the frightening speeds they go at but why do I sometimes think its now become more about tyre control and management of them than even the car or the driver at times? For the more educated, were Mercedes right or wrong to bring Hamilton in the other day as he was not amused? Also I'm up to series 3 about episode 8 and really we have seen very little on Hamilton as opposed to quite detailed insights into most of the other drivers. Quite softly spoken and doesn't appear to clown around like some of the others. Is this just experience, or he has told Netflix to leave him alone? Is he liked by the other drivers or even associates with them? Anyway, thx again OP for the heads up, also watched the Schumaker doc, good as well.

Allitnil
Lemon Pip

Postby Allitnil » October 13th, 2021, 9:13 am

nimnarb wrote:but why do I sometimes think its now become more about tyre control and management of them than even the car or the driver at times?

Tyre management has always been a factor to varying degrees. The problem with the current tyres is that they are so sensitive to temperature and I think pretty much everyone from drivers to fans want to see an end to that. There are major changes to the wheels and tyres for next season so maybe that will improve things.

For the more educated, were Mercedes right or wrong to bring Hamilton in the other day as he was not amused?

Teams tend to play things safe so they were wanting to make sure that Lewis finished no worse than 5th whilst drivers are more open to taking gambles and he was hoping for at least 3rd. Who knows which was right? But if we look at the two other drivers who tried to go the distance, Leclerc lost a lot of pace before he pitted and although Ocon did go the distance he was really slow over the last few laps (lost over 40 seconds to Sainz who he had been in contention with) and if that had happened to Hamilton he would have only ended up 7th.

Also I'm up to series 3 about episode 8 and really we have seen very little on Hamilton as opposed to quite detailed insights into most of the other drivers. Quite softly spoken and doesn't appear to clown around like some of the others. Is this just experience, or he has told Netflix to leave him alone? Is he liked by the other drivers or even associates with them? Anyway, thx again OP for the heads up, also watched the Schumaker doc, good as well.

I've not seen the series so can't comment on it, but Hamilton is relatively old now (!) and has matured a lot both on & off the track and becoming a lot more media-savvy. But he wasn't always so, eg being pulled over by the police for doing burnouts on his way out of the Aussie GP circuit in 2010...

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » October 13th, 2021, 10:45 am

Reminds me a bit of horse racing where success is 90% down to the horse and just 10% the jockey.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » October 13th, 2021, 11:09 am

That is a common observation but doesn't hold a great deal of water really. You only have to look at Verstappen and the string of talented drivers who could not get anywhere near him despite being in the same car. The same can be said of Hamilton and of course Schumacher, and those of earlier eras. It is true that there are many averagely talented drivers and for those the car and/or luck will be a big factor.

As for it being a non-contact sport, I have to respectfully disagree. There has always been contact, sometimes judged legal sometimes not. It's perhaps akin to football in that this is judged by a referee/steward. Schumacher won a world title by deliberatly crashing into Hill, and in fact tried that tactic again with Villeneuve in a later season, but it didn't work that time (thankfully). There are plenty of other instances of this i.e. Senna v Prost, even maybe Vettel v Webber. I attended in the Indianapolios 500 about four years ago and being so close to the cars, and the crashes, was in incredible experience.

I am glad that those not previously interested in F1 have enjoyed the Netflix series. I am keenly looking forward to the next one, due for release next year.

MM

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » November 11th, 2021, 12:55 pm

I got to season 3 and then gave up. Netflix made it a soap opera about personalities which is entertaining for a while but I ended up not really caring.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”