Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

hp Instant Ink

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
csearle
Lemon Quarter

hp Instant Ink

Postby csearle » October 19th, 2021, 1:32 am

I thought it was a good idea. Pay £1.99p a month and do away with all worries about having ink for my printer. I was buying peace of mind, like an insurance policy, that I could print when ever I like.

Don't buy into this myth.

I have a printer that sometimes prints. Mostly it somehow disconnects itself from WiFi connectivity so that a simple switching off and on sorts it out (even this I find highly annoying because I only print every two or three days and I seem to have to do this every time)!

But a couple of times now the error message on the printer is a web address to contact. I don't need this. I pay £2 a month for the [expletive deleted] thing to just [expletive deleted] print.

Anyway when I go to that website the whole thing is dedicated to selling me the service I already have! No support options other than the virtual agent.

So I engage with the virtual agent, answering all the questions to the best of my ability. At some stage I have a feeling of déjà vu as I start repeating my answers. I have truly gone around in a circle. I give up. I try the Whatsapp support forum that just says, basically we are all asleep, call back later.

I am so pissed off I log in to my business bank account to cancel the whole thing. I will throw the relatively new printer in the bin and buy one that doesn't contact a server somewhere to decide whether it will print or not. But my bank doesn't have it listed as either a standing order or a direct debit so they just get my debit card number from hp and pay them, no questions asked. No facility for cancelling!

If you Google hp Instant Ink cancel it says go to such and such a website, log in, click account and cancel. Trouble is that just takes you to the same account as above (where I am already logged in apparently) but nevertheless only offers the sale of the services I am already supposed to enjoy.

Desperate of Tunbridge Wells!
Chris

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Re: hp Instant Ink

Postby JohnB » October 19th, 2021, 5:09 am

I print perhaps 30 pages a year, so was annoyed when they threatened to remove my 15 pages a month free allowance, but they gave up on that, so the main annoyance is being nagged to switch the printer m9nthly on so it can call home. I use it far more for scanning, and there the wifi is much slower than usb, but its a PITA on Linux to get the right interface.

Never tried contacting customer support

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 19th, 2021, 5:21 am

I've used it with no problems.

If I log in via https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en then Cancel Subscription is one of the options in Account Settings.

Scott.

niord
Lemon Pip

Postby niord » October 19th, 2021, 7:46 am

csearle wrote: I am so pissed off I log in to my business bank account to cancel the whole thing. I will throw the relatively new printer in the bin and buy one that doesn't contact a server somewhere to decide whether it will print or not. But my bank doesn't have it listed as either a standing order or a direct debit so they just get my debit card number from hp and pay them, no questions asked. No facility for cancelling!

If you Google hp Instant Ink cancel it says go to such and such a website, log in, click account and cancel. Trouble is that just takes you to the same account as above (where I am already logged in apparently) but nevertheless only offers the sale of the services I am already supposed to enjoy.

Desperate of Tunbridge Wells!
Chris

It sounds like you have a continuous payment authority set up. These used to be seriously difficult to cancel if the supplier refused to cancel them, however nowadays If you can't cancel it via the supplier, then contact your bank and withdraw your permission.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 19th, 2021, 8:24 am

niord wrote:It sounds like you have a continuous payment authority set up. These used to be seriously difficult to cancel if the supplier refused to cancel them, however nowadays If you can't cancel it via the supplier, then contact your bank and withdraw your permission.
Thank you. This then is what I will try and do today.

Chris

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 19th, 2021, 8:32 am

swill453 wrote:I've used it with no problems.

If I log in via https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en then Cancel Subscription is one of the options in Account Settings.

Scott.
I may be being obtuse here but that is the web page that is 100% devoted to selling me hp instant Ink. I am able to log in but there are as far as I can see no account settings there!

Chris

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 19th, 2021, 8:38 am

csearle wrote:
swill453 wrote:I've used it with no problems.

I may be being obtuse here but that is the web page that is 100% devoted to selling me hp instant Ink. I am able to log in but there are as far as I can see no account settings there!

Have you logged in? On logging in and going to My Account -> Account Settings I get:

Scott.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 19th, 2021, 9:04 am

swill453 wrote:Have you logged in? On logging in and going to My Account -> Account Settings I get:
Yes, I went to the menu and there was a "Sign in" option. I did that. Now the menu offers me: hp Instant Ink, Printer Setup, Help & Support, and Sigh Out.

When I select hp Instant Ink the focus scrolls down the long page of (basically) hp advertising to the "choose your plan" section. If I click on the plan I already have it tries to sell it to me!

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » October 19th, 2021, 9:13 am

I would like to put the other side of HP Instant Ink. I also pay £1.99 a month. I have done so for a £40 printer, which I bought over four years ago, and have never had a problem with it. For most printers, a pair of cartridges (one black, one colour) will probanly cost you more than I pay a year for my subscription, so I think it is good value. I don't print very often, but when I do print, it may well be 30 or 40 pages, with the odd single page maybe once a week. For me, the scheme works, and I am very happy with it. Fot the last two years, I have lived in a very old house with very thick walls, and a complicated wifi network which has cause no problems at all for the printer.

I am sorry to hear that you have had problems, but I thought it only fair to mke sure people hear prom a satisfied customer too.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » October 19th, 2021, 9:21 am

My setup is like Scott. Did you get to https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/e ... XXXXXXXXXX

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 19th, 2021, 9:25 am

csearle wrote:
swill453 wrote:Have you logged in? On logging in and going to My Account -> Account Settings I get:
Yes, I went to the menu and there was a "Sign in" option. I did that. Now the menu offers me: hp Instant Ink, Printer Setup, Help & Support, and Sigh Out.

When I select hp Instant Ink the focus scrolls down the long page of (basically) hp advertising to the "choose your plan" section. If I click on the plan I already have it tries to sell it to me!

Are you allowing third party cookies in addition to first?
Some websites misbehave if you block 3rd party - especially for logged in services.
You can allow it on a per site basis - the methodology will vary depending on what browser you are using - have a search.

If that isn't the issue try clearing the browser cache/cookies for that specific site.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 19th, 2021, 9:26 am

Yes that's fine. I'm all for balance! :)

The other bad experience I had a couple of months ago was that it was printing streaky garbage. Using the WhatsApp support for about an hour I managed to get a replacement black ink cartridge, which had run out. Now I thought the whole point was that they should send me one BEFORE it ran out. I have used hp ink for several years now and have only ever needed three cartridges. The third one was the one that I had to invest time to actually get. So they were on notice with me anyway.

I think the WiFi disconnecting thing is probably just my printer. Anyway I have had enough. C.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 19th, 2021, 9:28 am

JohnB wrote:My setup is like Scott. Did you get to https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/e ... XXXXXXXXXX

That link just takes me to the page of advertising. C.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 19th, 2021, 9:30 am

Infrasonic wrote:
Are you allowing third party cookies in addition to first?
Some websites misbehave if you block 3rd party - especially for logged in services.
You can allow it on a per site basis - the methodology will vary depending on what browser you are using - have a search.

If that isn't the issue try clearing the browser cache/cookies for that specific site.
Thanks, I'll look and report back after work. Got to go now or my customer will wonder if I'm coming! :)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”