Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby swill453 » November 23rd, 2021, 1:40 pm

XFool wrote:Interesting collection of 16 mini-charts of COVID cases in 16 European countries, including UK, in this BBC article. Further down page, under "Trend in cases in Europe" - From Jan 2020 to Nov 2021. Fascinating how different are the shapes of these charts for different countries

Yes it's fascinating indeed. Just why are Germany/Austria/Netherlands seeing such a huge acceleration right now, while France/Spain/Italy aren't? Is it just a matter of time before they get it too?

The UK's a bit of an outlier, having had a much higher rate for ages, but not seeing a current spike. Have we had it, or are yet to see it, or something else?

Scott.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 23rd, 2021, 4:17 pm

Nurses' mental health: 'Most people in the NHS, they are sad'

BBC News

"NHS staff have run off adrenalin for the past year and that adrenalin is running out. We're all coming to the point where we're all just crashing and burning out."

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » November 23rd, 2021, 7:58 pm

swill453 wrote:Yes it's fascinating indeed. Just why are Germany/Austria/Netherlands seeing such a huge acceleration right now, while France/Spain/Italy aren't? Is it just a matter of time before they get it too?

Spain and Italy had it bad early on, so they are probably a bit like the UK - closer to now just being endemic with most people either vaccinated or already exposed, so some degree of immunity now, one way or the other.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 23rd, 2021, 8:35 pm

onthemove wrote:
swill453 wrote:Yes it's fascinating indeed. Just why are Germany/Austria/Netherlands seeing such a huge acceleration right now, while France/Spain/Italy aren't? Is it just a matter of time before they get it too?

Spain and Italy had it bad early on, so they are probably a bit like the UK - closer to now just being endemic with most people either vaccinated or already exposed, so some degree of immunity now, one way or the other.

So your prediction is that Spain and Italy aren't going to see a spike similar to Austria/Germany? That's brave...

I'm not even confident I could say whether the UK is going to go significantly up, significantly down, or generally maintain the current plateau.

Explaining past patterns in this pandemic is doable. Predicting the future much less so (obviously).

Scott.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » November 23rd, 2021, 9:41 pm

swill453 wrote:
onthemove wrote:

So your prediction is that Spain and Italy aren't going to see a spike similar to Austria/Germany? .

That's my prediction

swill453 wrote:That's brave...

If you say so.

swill453 wrote:
I'm not even confident I could say whether the UK is going to go significantly up, significantly down, or generally maintain the current plateau.

Explaining past patterns in this pandemic is doable. Predicting the future much less so (obviously).

Scott

Britain has largely been going sideways for a while now in number of cases. And that's with few restrictions.

I was on holiday last week with my mum and a friend, and I couldn't help notice that my mum, who has previously been religious about wearing a mask everywhere, was now going into shops without even thinking about putting it on, and she is very much of the 'pro' mask wearing brigade.

And I suspect this is probably going to be fairly common now. People are already getting back to normal. And it isn't resulting in any major up tick in cases.

The few remaining things that people are doing - like working from home (like I'm still doing), I suspect many will want to try to keep doing this from now on, irrespective of covid.

A colleague I work closely with has been very open with our line manager that he doesn't want to go back into the office - he's bluntly pointed out to the boss that there are plenty of jobs now advertising permanent WFH with perhaps just occasional office visits - he's just stopped short of giving them an ultimatum, but he's made his position very clear.

I haven't been quite so blunt, but I have expressed a strong preference to keep working from home. I mean even before covid, with flexitime, and the job often being head down concentrating, there were many days when I could arrive in the office, do a day's work, then leave without ever having said a word to anyone, leaving me even pre-covid wondering what the point of spending 90 minutes a day commuting was!

What I'm basically saying, is that I suspect now that most people are already into the pattern that they'd prefer to remain going forwards.

Those who need to be in the office or workplace are probably already back, particularly since the furlough scheme ended, and those still working from home could probably quite reasonably keep working from home.

My employer has had essential people in the office all throughout the pandemic - we're seen as an essential company, so were never closed down. But in essence, if any colleague who was really fed up working from home and really wanted to go back into the office, our business is such that they could have found an excuse to go back into the office already if they really wanted to. Though this is because the business involves working with physical stuff as well, not just virtual stuff, so pretty much anyone could find an excuse to need to go in if they really wanted to.

I think in other businesses where the nature of the business might not give such flexibility - e.g. because there's no obvious 'excuse' to go in ... perhaps because the nature of the business is purely virtual, etc ... then I think that will be down to management.. the managers who really want people back in the office will already have pressured them to return by now. Those still happy to have people working remotely probably will be thinking about what they can save on office space going forwards ;) .

Anyway, in summary, I'm not sure what is likely to change now to break us out of the sideways covid case trend, into a strong upward trend.

To be honest, I believe that the government is now quietly just letting people adjust back to normal, after a year and a half of being scared bleepless about an invisible enemy. Scientists now accept that covid ain't going away, it's going to be endemic, and we're all likely to catch it at some point, just hopefully now with the vaccines and prior infection, the consequences should now be milder.

Basically, the government is now just quietly letting people come to terms with this new reality, and so far, the sideways trend in cases while people - like my mum - are already letting their guard down, leads me to believe that this really does look like the end game (transition to endemic) for covid in the UK.

I think the few remaining alarmist articles we see, or alarmist comments, are just from people still being swept along by the prior hysteria. People just going with the flow, who haven't realised the flow is changing.

Plus perhaps a few politicians not wanting to be seen as reckless in the eyes of those people still being swept up by the prior hysteria.

Give it a few more months, and I suspect while there'll inevitably be a small rise in cases over winter - and no doubt alarmist headlines about the NHS being on its knees, which let's face it, was par for the course every winter even before covid - but in a few months time (by jan / feb) I think there'll be very few people still believing covid is still any major ongoing concern.

The arguments then, will be about what extra level of funding the NHS will need on an ongoing basis to cope with the ongoing endemic covid that the NHS will always likely to need to deal with from now on, that it wasn't dealing with prior.

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » November 24th, 2021, 1:23 am

onion, raw garlic, turmeric

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 24th, 2021, 6:27 am

look wrote:onion, raw garlic, turmeric

Add, chilli and ginger, cumin and coriander, saute for five minutes and you have the basis of a delicious curry.

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 24th, 2021, 7:02 am

redsturgeon wrote:

Add, chilli and ginger, cumin and coriander, saute for five minutes and you have the basis of a delicious curry.

John

could be nice with a bit of capybara?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 24th, 2021, 11:17 am

servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

could be nice with a bit of capybara?

'Firstly, catch your capybara...'

:shock:

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 24th, 2021, 11:28 am

XFool wrote:'Firstly, catch your capybara...'

Preferably before they eat.... :lol: (see link)
https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/11/1288 ... ls-science

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 24th, 2021, 5:25 pm

Covid: Europe region faces 700,000 more deaths by March - WHO

BBC News

A further 700,000 people could die of Covid by March in Europe and parts of Asia, the World Health Organization has warned.

"The death toll already exceeds 1.5 million in the 53 countries of what the WHO terms as its Europe region."

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 24th, 2021, 5:36 pm

XFool wrote:Covid: Europe region faces 700,000 more deaths by March - WHO

Population of Europe is about 750,000,000.

How worried should we be about a death rate of less than 1 in 1,000? Do we think the voters will demand more restrictions to prevent that? On what basis?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 24th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Lootman wrote:

How worried should we be about a death rate of less than 1 in 1,000? Do we think the voters will demand more restrictions to prevent that? On what basis?

Voters are not good at assessing risk.
So, on the basis of overblown media panic.

I would like more restrictions here. Modest stuff. Masks in shops and on transport. Vaccine passports.

I would also like mandatory HEPA filters in schools, but as that would cost it obviously ain't gonna happen....

V8

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 24th, 2021, 6:41 pm

88V8 wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Voters are not good at assessing risk. So, on the basis of overblown media panic.

I would like more restrictions here. Modest stuff. Masks in shops and on transport. Vaccine passports.

I would also like mandatory HEPA filters in schools, but as that would cost it obviously ain't gonna happen....

My peeve is more that, ever since the start of Covid, there has been this tendency to report the number of deaths in absolute numbers, without any reference to the underlying population. A number that would be a massacre in Belgium is just a rounding error in China. It sensationalises the situation but isn't that helping for assessing risk.

That said I am with you on vaccine passports. For the life of me I don't understand why the UK has ignored doing that, whilst it is routine in various other countries. I always have my vaccination card with me but nobody ever asks to see it, except when I am overseas.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » November 24th, 2021, 7:10 pm

88V8 wrote:I would like more restrictions here. Modest stuff. Masks in shops and on transport. Vaccine passports.

Why?

"England would only suffer 35,000 Covid hospital admissions if EVERYONE caught virus right now because of previous immunity and jabs, study suggests ...

The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) analysis suggests the NHS is unlikely to be overwhelmed by the virus even in the event of a major surge.
.."
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... gests.html

Hmm... and you say "Voters are not good at assessing risk."

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 24th, 2021, 8:07 pm

onthemove wrote:
88V8 wrote:I would like more restrictions here. Modest stuff. Masks in shops and on transport. Vaccine passports.

Why?

Why?
It's no big deal and it will reduce transmission.
Passports put pressure or the unvaccinated.

Risk... yeah, minimal to me with three jabs, but then why not? I'm not advocating a shutdown or wfh.
So, why not?

V8

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » November 24th, 2021, 8:28 pm

88V8 wrote:
onthemove wrote:

Why?

Why?

Risk... yeah, minimal to me with three jabs, but then why not? I'm not advocating a shutdown or wfh.
So, why not?

V8

Why do you need to reduce transmission? Cases have been broadly stable over the past few months.

Ditto for why you need to put pressure on the unvaccinated? I've had the vaccine myself, and I'll be getting the booster when I'm offered it, but I respect the decision of people who don't want the vaccine, and I'm not going to bully them into getting it. Telling people they have freedom of choice, but then bullying and manipulating them into getting the vaccine seems more like coercive / controlling behaviour more akin to perpetrators of domestic violence and such. 'But it's for you're own good...!' frequently touted by such perpetrators.

And as that article I linked to indicated - but you have selectively cut out of what you've quoted - "The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) analysis suggests the NHS is unlikely to be overwhelmed by the virus even in the event of a major surge."

The article also went on to explain...

"Britain was branded the 'sick man of Europe' this summer after it dropped all restrictions in England in July and saw cases spiral to as much as 50,000 a day. But experts now say opening up early allowed the country to frontload its cases, meaning more people now have immunity than in Europe. "

The truth is, covid is going to be endemic, we're all likely to get it eventually. So masking up and vaccine passports just delay, rather than prevent.

And - again, as the article pointed out - "The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) analysis suggests the NHS is unlikely to be overwhelmed by the virus even in the event of a major surge." - so why is there any need to delay further? It just drags the pandemic out further without any overall net benefit.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 24th, 2021, 8:49 pm

pje16 wrote:
XFool wrote:'Firstly, catch your capybara...'

Preferably before they eat.... :lol: (see link)
https://www.theverge.com/2016/9/11/1288 ... ls-science

At one level they're just big guinea pigs so we shouldn't be surprised by their cecotrophy (like rabbits it takes two passes through the gut to get out the required nutrients)

They're quite a popular meat stock given their size AND the fact the pope proclaimed them fish (?!) https://thefisheriesblog.com/2017/03/01/beavers-are-fish-during-lent/

- sd

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » November 24th, 2021, 9:48 pm

onthemove wrote:
88V8 wrote:
onthemove wrote:Why?

Why?

So, why not?

V8

Why do you need to reduce transmission? Cases have been broadly stable over the past few months.

Ditto for why you need to put pressure on the unvaccinated? I've had the vaccine myself, and I'll be getting the booster when I'm offered it, but I respect the decision of people who don't want the vaccine, and I'm not going to bully them into getting it. Telling people they have freedom of choice, but then bullying and manipulating them into getting the vaccine seems more like coercive / controlling behaviour more akin to perpetrators of domestic violence and such. 'But it's for you're own good...!' frequently touted by such perpetrators.

And as that article I linked to indicated - but you have selectively cut out of what you've quoted - "The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) analysis suggests the NHS is unlikely to be overwhelmed by the virus even in the event of a major surge."

The article also went on to explain...

"Britain was branded the 'sick man of Europe' this summer after it dropped all restrictions in England in July and saw cases spiral to as much as 50,000 a day. But experts now say opening up early allowed the country to frontload its cases, meaning more people now have immunity than in Europe. "

The truth is, covid is going to be endemic, we're all likely to get it eventually. So masking up and vaccine passports just delay, rather than prevent.

And - again, as the article pointed out - "The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) analysis suggests the NHS is unlikely to be overwhelmed by the virus even in the event of a major surge." - so why is there any need to delay further? It just drags the pandemic out further without any overall net benefit.

They are only one voice. I have heard others, including WHO, saying that it is essential to wear a mask in confined places. You may not care if you are one of those who are still dying as a result of a covid infection but for the sake of those who would rather not and may not have any/sufficient antibody immunity, please wear a mask. It would stop you passing on to the vulnerable sny infection (what is today's rate?) you might have acquired by close, unprotected contact. Surely not too much to ask?

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » November 24th, 2021, 10:38 pm

servodude wrote:They're quite a popular meat stock given their size AND the fact the pope proclaimed them fish (?!) https://thefisheriesblog.com/2017/03/01 ... ring-lent/

Beavers might smell of fish but how would the pope know that?

Julian F. G. W.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”