Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Green Investing

Constructive suggestions only please.
WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Green Investing

Postby WickedLester » December 27th, 2021, 1:40 pm

Would it be an idea to have a board dedicated to green investing and stocks which could benefit from the shift to a sustainable economy?

It's something I have developed an interest in and have made a few investments I think could benefit from the shift but would always welcome other ideas. At the moment the discussion appears to be spread around a few boards.

I don't know whether it would be popular but its just an idea.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Green Investing

Postby tjh290633 » December 27th, 2021, 11:21 pm

WickedLester wrote:Would it be an idea to have a board dedicated to green investing and stocks which could benefit from the shift to a sustainable economy?

Have a look at viewtopic.php?p=216655#p216655

It is not exactly what you want, but getting there.

TJH

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » December 28th, 2021, 8:11 am

Hi TJH

I have been directed to that thread before, but I am more interested in individual stocks than collectives and there are also relevant posts on the oil & gas board and I started one on the stocks and shares board so at the moment there is no dedicated place for discussing all forms of green investing yet I think it is going to be an increasingly important focal point for investors in coming years.

I just think it may not be a bad idea to have a board where all of these threads can be brought together and investors who are interested in putting some money into green investments can discuss all forms of investment in one place.

It is of course up to the site owners to decide.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 28th, 2021, 8:20 am

WickedLester wrote:Hi TJH

I have been directed to that thread before, but I am more interested in individual stocks than collectives and there are also relevant posts on the oil & gas board and I started one on the stocks and shares board so at the moment there is no dedicated place for discussing all forms of green investing yet I think it is going to be an increasingly important focal point for investors in coming years.

I just think it may not be a bad idea to have a board where all of these threads can be brought together and investors who are interested in putting some money into green investments can discuss all forms of investment in one place.

It is of course up to the site owners to decide.

It is not a subject that I know much about but are there enough individual shares dedicated to green investing to, as it were 'make a market'?

Green investing is after all but one strand of investing in energy shares for instance, and that is surely where much of the action is taking place, for example, the big oil companies and utilities like SSE, apart from the funds which have been highlighted? Of course there is electric transport but apart from Tesla they are mostly in the current producers. What did you have in mind? Now that you have started the thread, could you expand on what you are looking for?

Dod

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » December 28th, 2021, 10:19 am

Well there are lots of companies with a green angle. For example I have investments in Invinity Energy who manufacture Vanadium Flow batteries for energy storage, Pressure Technologies who as one part of their business are picking up increasing orders for Hydrogen storage, James Cropper whose Technical Fibres business makes fibres for, amongst other things, fuel cells.

There's lots of companies who may benefit from a shift to sustainability, certainly a lot more than just the energy companies.

I think there's enough to make a board anyway.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 28th, 2021, 11:42 am

WickedLester wrote:Would it be an idea to have a board dedicated to green investing and stocks which could benefit from the shift to a sustainable economy?
I certainly think there is a case for such a board in the SECTORS & GENERAL SHARE DEALING area. On the other hand there has, at least in the past, been a mild reluctance to having many specific boards, simply because if they are not used then it clutters up the site unnecessarily. Of course if they are used then they would be justified. One option would be to do a trial run for a period, find out whether it gets used and, if not, merge it with an existing board.

Of my own three suggestions one was implemented (How Do I Invest) another wasn't, but the title of an existing board was tweaked to make it slightly more inclusive. It was the equivalent of renaming Oil & Gas & Energy (Sector & Companies) to, for example, Oil & Gas, & Energy (incl. Green) Sector & Companies. The third is still under consideration I think.

It will be interesting to see what the site owners decide.

Chris

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » December 28th, 2021, 11:51 am

The thing is that 'green investing' may overlap with lots of other things: principally energy, but also recycling, mining and more.

I'm sure it'd be a lot of work but I see that phpBB does have an extension (if that's the word) that allows posts to be tagged with a topic. I could post on the energy board, but also tag it as "green" to allow it to be found easily by a search to list all "green" threads across the site. I can imagine that this might introduce a whole host of new problems though.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... opic_tags/

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 31st, 2021, 11:56 pm

Green is more than just direct energy and environmental, though even those seem uneasily distributed across different boards here.

I've long made the distinction between "dark green" and "light green" in my investing. Dark Green being businesses whose entire or primary purpose is to improve our environment, and light green being companies in other sectors who represent "best in class" and are (credibly) working towards improving their sectors.

Thus my most profitable single share investment ARM was light green, because one of their key points is that ARM processors have a tiny fraction of the power consumption of alternatives. Which is of course why they dominate the smartphone market, where a small battery has to last a while.

Elsewhere in sectors far from my own expertise, I might use a green investing board to try and educate myself on the balance between serious efforts and greenwash in a company's claims to greenness. When that builder is lobbying for higher standards in the industry, is that genuine, or an irrelevance, or maybe a distraction from something more important that I'm not aware of?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 5th, 2022, 11:31 am

It's something I have developed an interest in and have made a few investments I think could benefit from the shift but would always welcome other ideas. At the moment the discussion appears to be spread around a few boards.

In principle I am quite happy to create a board called Green Investing if it will be used and has a clear focus. Environmental issues are important and a focus on that from an investment perspective makes sense to me. Are there any further comments from anyone on this? WickedLester, are you still keen to see it?

Clariman

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 5th, 2022, 5:02 pm

Clariman wrote:

In principle I am quite happy to create a board called Green Investing if it will be used and has a clear focus. Environmental issues are important and a focus on that from an investment perspective makes sense to me. Are there any further comments from anyone on this? WickedLester, are you still keen to see it?

Clariman

There could arguably be a scope for two boards:
1. Green Investing
2. Green Aspects of companies in general.

But I suspect that would be over the top, and the two could coexist on a single board. Unless that itself gets unexpectedly high traffic!

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » January 5th, 2022, 5:29 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Clariman wrote:

Clariman

There could arguably be a scope for two boards:
1. Green Investing
2. Green Aspects of companies in general.

But I suspect that would be over the top, and the two could coexist on a single board. Unless that itself gets unexpectedly high traffic!

Hi Clariman, I think it could be an interesting board if it gets used. I would certainly try to support it and I hope others would too. I don't know about focus, I would like a kind of catch all where stocks from pure green emerging technologies to established companies which are going green or have a green angle to them could be discussed as well as green issues in general which may be appropriate if they generate investment ideas or discussion.

I think one board is enough though.

Thanks for considering my idea.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » January 5th, 2022, 11:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

This is now available under the investment roundtable section.

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”