Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Six

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Six

Postby cinelli » May 1st, 2022, 3:18 pm

From six you take nine,
And from nine you take ten.
Then from forty, take fifty,
And six will remain.

Can you explain?

Cinelli

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Six

Postby mc2fool » May 1st, 2022, 4:07 pm

Blimey, an easy one! Answer: SIX less IX is S, IX less X is I, XL less L is X. SIX :D

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 1st, 2022, 9:30 pm

mc2fool wrote:Blimey, an easy one! Answer: SIX less IX is S, IX less X is I, XL less L is X. SIX :D

Hehe. I thought for a moment that's much better than the obvious quasi-pure-arithmetic answer[1], but I have to take issue with your first term. The arbitrarily different representations of six and nine have a whiff of ... not quite sure what to call it, but something akin to Deus ex Machina.

[1] VI - IX + IX - X + XL - L

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 1st, 2022, 9:42 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Blimey, an easy one! Answer: SIX less IX is S, IX less X is I, XL less L is X. SIX :D

Hehe. I thought for a moment that's much better than the obvious quasi-pure-arithmetic answer[1], but I have to take issue with your first term. The arbitrarily different representations of six and nine have a whiff of ... not quite sure what to call it, but something akin to Deus ex Machina.

I thought the same about the first term, in fact it was the last one I saw, but I don't understand your quasi-pure-arithmetic answer, that just comes to -14...?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 1st, 2022, 9:51 pm

mc2fool wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

I thought the same about the first term, in fact it was the last one I saw, but I don't understand your quasi-pure-arithmetic answer, that just comes to -14...?

My word "arithmetic" is a mislabel there. Just add and subtract symbols and all but six are gone. Forty serves, arithmetically speaking, for sixty.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 1st, 2022, 10:02 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

My word "arithmetic" is a mislabel there. Just add and subtract symbols and all but six are gone. Forty serves, arithmetically speaking, for sixty.

Ummmm ... VI (- IX + IX) (- X + X) (L - L) ? Think I prefer mine, at least it matches up term per term (well, line) with the puzzle. :D

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 1st, 2022, 10:18 pm

mc2fool wrote:Ummmm ... VI (- IX + IX) (- X + X) (L - L) ? Think I prefer mine, at least it matches up term per term (well, line) with the puzzle. :D

Yes, I like yours better (I looked at it to see if it was the same as mine). I expect yours is also the "right" answer.

But I think we're agreed, both are flawed.

cinelli
Lemon Slice

Postby cinelli » May 2nd, 2022, 11:22 am

Well solved, mc2fool, and quickly too.

Cinelli

Return to “Games, Puzzles and Riddles”