Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Continental Tyres

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Continental Tyres

Postby Dod101 » June 10th, 2022, 3:47 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Strange, different tyres seem to suit different cars. My Mk1 diesel Focus went best on Pirellis, which seemed to suit its heavy front end, but it was almost undriveable on Avons, which just didn't grip at all. (The only tyres I've ever returned to the dealer, because they were frightening me. :o )

My Passat estate got 40K plus from Dunlop SP Sports at the front, whereas everybody else said they were good for only 15K. And my Toyota seems to have lost its tendency for front wheel spin on take-off since I switched to Michelin Primacy 4s. (I think the Cross Climates would be a better choice for Scotland, TBH.)

But Continentals? I've always thought of them as medium to budget, not premium. We really didn't like them on my wife's Polo - they were noisy, and the grip wasn't as good as the usual Michelins. Mind you, ISTR that Continental did go through an iffy patch with a few batches of bad rubber that was too hard. Maybe we just had some of those?

Continental are sold under a bewildering variety of other brand names, including Uniroyal, Barum, Viking and Semperit. Continental Michelin (sorry!) own the Kleber and BF Goodrich brands. And Bridgestone owns Firestone, of course. This British website has a stab at sorting out who's who: https://tyres.rezulteo.co.uk/expert-adv ... ich-group#

BJ

I know from Audi forums (now that I have looked) that the Continental ContiSportContact5s supplied with the Q5 Sports anyway, burn out at around 10,000 miles. I have got 12,500 from mine although the front ones are near enough to being down to no more than 1.6mm. The rear ones are at not far off the 20p test or maybe about 3mm, maybe less. It is apparently soft rubber which gives a great grip but leaves stuff behind all the time. So I am not alone.

Dod

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » June 10th, 2022, 4:07 pm

Dod101 wrote:Is it my driving or something? I have done a mere 12,500 miles in my Q5 and now the front tyres are needing to be replaced. Although it is a quattro, the drive is through the front wheels only unless required to be four wheel drive, ie in snow or heavy rain so I can expect them to wear more quickly than the rear ones but even so that does not seem many miles. The current tyres came new with the car, Continentals.

Some time back there was a recommendation to go for Michelin Cross Climate tyres, Does that still stand?

Dod

As a former owner I can say you should get 20000 miles at least from your Continental's. I don't think your analysis of the way 4 wheel drive on a Quatro works. Just for info my Haldex (part of the 4 wheel drive system) needed replacement and when it was broken all the drive went to the front wheels with wheel spin which obviously was not good for the tyres. When driven aggressively 4 wheel drive is permanent and not just in snow and rain as you indicate. This is what google reveals:

Is an Audi q5 always in 4 wheel drive?
Audi wanted it to feel as sure-footed as traditional quattro technology, so it stays in four-wheel drive when driven aggressively and can even predict when extra traction might be needed based on ambient conditions, ESC sensors and driver inputs.

I would check your Haldex system to see if the car is running on 4 wheel drive. If it isn't all the drive will be to the front wheels with consequentials for tyre wear.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 10th, 2022, 4:47 pm

Mike88 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Is it my driving or something? I have done a mere 12,500 miles in my Q5 and now the front tyres are needing to be replaced. Although it is a quattro, the drive is through the front wheels only unless required to be four wheel drive, ie in snow or heavy rain so I can expect them to wear more quickly than the rear ones but even so that does not seem many miles. The current tyres came new with the car, Continentals.

Some time back there was a recommendation to go for Michelin Cross Climate tyres, Does that still stand?

Dod

As a former owner I can say you should get 20000 miles at least from your Continental's. I don't think your analysis of the way 4 wheel drive on a Quatro works. Just for info my Haldex (part of the 4 wheel drive system) needed replacement and when it was broken all the drive went to the front wheels with wheel spin which obviously was not good for the tyres. When driven aggressively 4 wheel drive is permanent and not just in snow and rain as you indicate. This is what google reveals:

Audi wanted it to feel as sure-footed as traditional quattro technology, so it stays in four-wheel drive when driven aggressively and can even predict when extra traction might be needed based on ambient conditions, ESC sensors and driver inputs.

I would check your Haldex system to see if the car is running on 4 wheel drive. If it isn't all the drive will be to the front wheels with consequentials for tyre wear.

Yes I understand all you say. I do not drive aggressively, not a current petrol prices anyway, which explains why the front tyres are wearing faster than the rear. I have never had wheelspin and it always feels sure footed, just as sure footed as my previous one with permanent four wheel drive. As to the tyres there are several different Continentals of course, but the Q5 forum on tyres has a number of people complaining/commenting on their tyres wearing out at 10,000 miles without any aggressive driving. I referred to the exact ones currently fitted.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 10th, 2022, 5:31 pm

Mike88 wrote:

Dod

Let me come back to you as I did not quite complete my other post in response. You say 'as a former owner'. Of what? A Sports Q5 fitted with Continental ContiSportContact 5 tyres? If you got 20,000 miles out of them, you are very different from most drivers on them according to the Q5 forums.

Re four wheel drive or not, it does not seem to matter much because as I said later on this thread, the front tyres are at about the legal limit and the rear ones are not that far behind. I doubt that there is a problem with the Haldex but will get it checked.

Dod

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » June 10th, 2022, 5:53 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Mike88 wrote:

Dod

Let me come back to you as I did not quite complete my other post in response. You say 'as a former owner'. Of what? A Sports Q5 fitted with Continental ContiSportContact 5 tyres? If you got 20,000 miles out of them, you are very different from most drivers on them according to the Q5 forums.

Re four wheel drive or not, it does not seem to matter much because as I said later on this thread, the front tyres are at about the legal limit and the rear ones are not that far behind. I doubt that there is a problem with the Haldex but will get it checked.

Dod

The car was a 2013 S line with Continentals fitted as original equipment. I can't tell you any more than that as I sold the car in 2019. If the rear tyres are not too good then the Haldex is probably not an issue because I sold the car with the original rear tyres.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 10th, 2022, 6:03 pm

Mike88 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Mike88 wrote:

Dod

Dod

The car was a 2013 S line with Continentals fitted as original equipment. I can't tell you any more than that as I sold the car in 2019. If the rear tyres are not too good then the Haldex is probably not an issue because I sold the car with the original rear tyres.

That was an amazing result but I have checked the Q5 forums and the Continentals are getting a lot of stick nowadays. Things have probably moved on since 2013, not necessarily for the better. I have had three of the ‘basic’ Q5s and have had tyres doing 20,000ish in all of them, both original and replacements.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 16th, 2022, 4:56 pm

Just to follow up on this topic. In the end I have gone for Michelin LS3s. They get a good crit on a Q5 forum and my supplier recommended them without any hint from me. Price? A mere £190 each. Ouch!

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 16th, 2022, 6:31 pm

Dod101 wrote:Just to follow up on this topic. In the end I have gone for Michelin LS3s. They get a good crit on a Q5 forum and my supplier recommended them without any hint from me. Price? A mere £190 each. Ouch!

Dod

Don't know if you saw this, Dod?

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyres_For/Audi/Q5.htm

There's a similar table for an A6 which I'm going to have to study at some point in the future. There seems more choice for the A6 than the Q5.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyres_For/Audi/A6.htm

Edit..just noticed that clicking on the tyre listing for each tyre opens up a new page with price ranges.

Edit 2...not cheap! :shock:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 16th, 2022, 8:58 pm

monabri wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Just to follow up on this topic. In the end I have gone for Michelin LS3s. They get a good crit on a Q5 forum and my supplier recommended them without any hint from me. Price? A mere £190 each. Ouch!

Dod

Don't know if you saw this, Dod?

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyres_For/Audi/Q5.htm

There's a similar table for an A6 which I'm going to have to study at some point in the future. There seems more choice for the A6 than the Q5.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyres_For/Audi/A6.htm

Edit..just noticed that clicking on the tyre listing for each tyre opens up a new page with price ranges.

Edit 2...not cheap! :shock:

Yes Thanks. I actually based my eventual choice on that table. I used to have an A6 but it is a long time ago now. I moved to a more rural location and decided that the Q5 was more suitable. The A6 was and no doubt still is a nice car though. In fact the best car I ever ran was a 2002 six cylinder I think 2 litre A6 (maybe 2.4?) Petrol. Should have kept it longer.

Dod

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”