Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby servodude » July 9th, 2022, 2:21 pm

Snorvey wrote:Sixty five quid to fill up a 1 litre Toyota Aygo.

:shock:

Engine size or fuel tank? ;)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 11th, 2022, 2:59 pm

It all goes up - well it's predicted to, in October
so as that one is callled flexi, be careful

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 11th, 2022, 3:05 pm

Yes, agreed and I filled mine up the other day
just shy of £90, and there are plenty out there with bigger tanks than mine

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 11th, 2022, 8:09 pm

From harryshimmin's Instagram account -

We’d just reached the highest point in the trek and I separated from the group to take pictures on top of a hill/cliff edge.

While I was taking pictures I heard the sound of deep ice cracking behind me...

Full video here, which is worth putting into full-screen with audio on to get a feel for the whole event...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfyT6xcA27D/

The more detailed write-up on the right hand side of the above instagram video explains that if their party were just 5 minutes further up the mountain trail, they'd not be here today...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 11th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Mighty brave - great footage though
it was scary looking at it from my desk :D

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 13th, 2022, 7:47 am

How many people can fit into a tuk-tuk?

27!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-62131725

kiloran

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 13th, 2022, 9:11 am

kiloran wrote:How many people can fit into a tuk-tuk?

27!

kiloran

when police tried to flag down the autorickshaw for going too fast, the driver tried to speed away.

So how long did it take the policeman to catch up? 27 people making a getaway on what's essentially an adapted motorcycle!
(Please tell me he called for backup, of which all 25 got onto the back of his bike....)

VRD

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 13th, 2022, 9:55 am

27!

kiloran

My daughter, on a business trip to India, thought that a model tuk-tuk would be a nice present to bring back for her young son. But try as she might, she couldn't find one - lots of models of flashy American cars, but no tuk-tuks. Apparently no Indian boy would thank you for a model tuk-tuk. :)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 13th, 2022, 12:53 pm

Snorvey wrote:

27!

kiloran

When I first read your post, I thought it was some kind of whacky world record attempt.

here IS the world record
29 in a mini
https://autojosh.com/photos-of-the-day- ... ld-record/
ouch
watch them squeeze in
https://www.facebook.com/GuinnessWorldR ... 907804364/

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 13th, 2022, 3:41 pm

27!

kiloran

We used and appreciated tuktuks during a visit to Cambodia. They are brilliant for getting around. There were four of us and they were comfortable.

But how powerful must the motorbike be to drag the weight of 27 people? :o

I had a sad little 50cc moped when I was a teenager and it barely coped with me!

Steve

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 18th, 2022, 10:38 pm

scotia wrote:My daughter, on a business trip to India, thought that a model tuk-tuk would be a nice present to bring back for her young son. But try as she might, she couldn't find one - lots of models of flashy American cars, but no tuk-tuks. Apparently no Indian boy would thank you for a model tuk-tuk. :)

My wife has one and it's on our bookshelves, along with a NYC yellow-cab, London taxi and so on and so on. She bought them all on postings to those respective countries. She says the '3-wheeler' (that's what a Thai tuk-tuk is called in India) was bought in c 1995 from a shop in an arts/crafts arcade in Delhi, and not in a touristy part of town. [Just my 2 Rupees].

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 18th, 2022, 11:10 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:She says the '3-wheeler' (that's what a Thai tuk-tuk is called in India) was bought in c 1995 from a shop in an arts/crafts arcade in Delhi, and not in a touristy part of town. [Just my 2 Rupees].

I've spent a fair amount of time in India and I don't think I've never heard them called 3-wheelers there. In India they're called auto-rickshaws and, in fact, most commonly called just "autos". The drivers are auto-wallahs.

Now in Sri Lanka I've heard them called 3-wheelers and trishaws, about equally commonly....

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 18th, 2022, 11:26 pm

mc2fool wrote:
DiamondEcho wrote:She says the '3-wheeler' (that's what a Thai tuk-tuk is called in India) was bought in c 1995 from a shop in an arts/crafts arcade in Delhi, and not in a touristy part of town. [Just my 2 Rupees].

I've spent a fair amount of time in India and I don't think I've never heard them called 3-wheelers there. In India they're called auto-rickshaws and, in fact, most commonly called just "autos". The drivers are auto-wallahs.

Now in Sri Lanka I've heard them called 3-wheelers and trishaws, about equally commonly....

Like you I spent a lot of time there, albeit back in the 1980s.

The vehicles (let's just call them that) were particularly useful in Anuradhapura, one of the many former capitals of Sri Lanka, where the sites were particularly spread out. And it was hot as hell there - well worth the money.

And in Agra where the wallah nabbed us at the station (*) and barely left our side for 48 hours. He took us to the Taj Mahal for the 5 a.m. sunrise, then to Mohammed's Good Earth Dhaba for a 3-course breakfast served on a single gas ring.

It wasn't just their effort that was amazing. It was their patience and their willingness to wait for hours for you outside a restaurant. British and American workers expect tips for doing nothing. These guys I tipped well for doing everything.

(*) The train we took to Agra was a 48 hour trip from Kerala. It actually didn't stop at Agra but we were advised that it passed through it at a very low speed and we should just jump off with our bags. We did.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 20th, 2022, 7:11 pm

mc2fool wrote:I've spent a fair amount of time in India and I don't think I've never heard them called 3-wheelers there. In India they're called auto-rickshaws and, in fact, most commonly called just "autos". The drivers are auto-wallahs. Now in Sri Lanka I've heard them called 3-wheelers and trishaws, about equally commonly....

You might enjoy this article: 'Delhi: Three-wheelers emerge as top EV choice' [Times of India] Read more at:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 130221.cms

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 20th, 2022, 7:45 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
mc2fool wrote:I've spent a fair amount of time in India and I don't think I've never heard them called 3-wheelers there. In India they're called auto-rickshaws and, in fact, most commonly called just "autos". The drivers are auto-wallahs. Now in Sri Lanka I've heard them called 3-wheelers and trishaws, about equally commonly....

I asked her to read your reply, she said 'Well I lived there three years, and if that's what he thinks - phhh'. She's Asian BTW and just not into p'ing contests over details on web-fora :)

LOL! Well that beats my total of around a year, most of it doing rural development aid work, although I have also done the tourist trail with the huuuuge distances India requires, and, well, it's not what I think, it's my first hand experience. Maybe there are local or time differences; my visits were around the turn of the millennium.

Anyway, I was just FYIing, not p'ing or into any contest ... but it seems the Wikipedia author must have been to the same places as me:

"Auto rickshaws (often called "autos")..." "The drivers are known as the Autokaarar, auto-wallah or tuktuk-wallah." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_rickshaw#India ;)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 20th, 2022, 8:06 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:

You might enjoy this article: 'Delhi: Three-wheelers emerge as top EV choice' [Times of India] Read more at:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 130221.cms

Hmmm....you seem to have totally changed your reply while I was penning my response to your, as was, original reply!

Ok, so I'll see your Times of India and raise you Google: https://www.google.com/search?q=What+are+the+3+wheeled+vehicles+in+India+called%3F :D

Some sources are tourist-only as I've only ever heard auto-rickshaws in India called tuk-tuks by tourists! "What is a Tuk-Tuk? Also known as auto-rickshaws, rickshaws, or simply auto,...", yes, by the locals! https://www.agatetravel.com/tuk-tuk-in-india.html

Although it's apparently changing: "These trusty three wheelers have always been called auto rickshaws in India, as the natural replacement for the human drawn rickshaw, however these days more and more drivers have embraced the name “Tuk Tuk”, used throughout Southeast Asia and which is just the most onomatopoetic name. Either way, when you use the word “auto” or “rickshaw” or “tuk tuk”, everyone in India knows what you mean." https://incredibleindiatours.com/is-it-a-rickshaw-or-a-tuk-tuk/

Anyway, roll on .... :D

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 4th, 2022, 10:04 am

I looked out the window this morning, and saw, about half a mile away, a couple of guys on a cherry picker working on a mobile phone mast. Nothing odd there, but this was at the top of a 17 storey (200 feet?) block of flats. 200 feet up, and probably around 60-70 feet horizontally. I had no idea that cherry pickers could be so big. And it was a bit breezy. Those guys must be totally fearless. Or mad.

--kiloran

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 4th, 2022, 10:29 am

kiloran wrote:I looked out the window this morning, and saw, about half a mile away, a couple of guys on a cherry picker working on a mobile phone mast. Nothing odd there, but this was at the top of a 17 storey (200 feet?) block of flats. 200 feet up, and probably around 60-70 feet horizontally. I had no idea that cherry pickers could be so big. And it was a bit breezy. Those guys must be totally fearless. Or mad.

--kiloran

I just zoomed in on one of the photos I took and the guys were wearing hard hats, so they were well protected if they fell. Maybe not so mad or fearless after all

--kiloran

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 4th, 2022, 10:35 am

kiloran wrote:I just zoomed in on one of the photos I took and the guys were wearing hard hats, so they were well protected if they fell. Maybe not so mad or fearless after all
--kiloran

Not entirely sure a fall from that height would be safe with just a hard hart
stunning photo by the way

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 4th, 2022, 1:24 pm

pje16 wrote:
kiloran wrote:I just zoomed in on one of the photos I took and the guys were wearing hard hats, so they were well protected if they fell. Maybe not so mad or fearless after all
--kiloran

Not entirely sure a fall from that height would be safe with just a hard hart
stunning photo by the way

Did someone miss a winkie? ;)

Were they wearing parachutes?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”