Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Unknown update file(s) consuming 716MB of storage

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
vandefrosty
Lemon Pip

Unknown update file(s) consuming 716MB of storage

Postby vandefrosty » July 25th, 2022, 12:26 am

Our Windows 10 pc - it isn't capable of running Windows 11 - was suffering from nearly-full-storage so I've spent some time culling unnecessary stuff.

Settings/Storage/Temporary Files shows I have updates that occupy 716 MB. That page links to the Windows Update page that shows 'Up to date' with no downloaded pending or optional updates. So Windows knows there is a bunch of update data somewhere but isn't showing what or where it is.

Does anyone know how to find the mystery update files?

I suspect, without any evidence whatsoever, that Windows 11 has pre-staged some stuff which the pc knows can never be installed, so it isn't showing it. Maybe this isn't the case, but I'd still like to get the storage back.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Unknown update file(s) consuming 716MB of storage

Postby richfool » July 25th, 2022, 8:15 am

vandefrosty wrote:Our Windows 10 pc - it isn't capable of running Windows 11 - was suffering from nearly-full-storage so I've spent some time culling unnecessary stuff.

Settings/Storage/Temporary Files shows I have updates that occupy 716 MB. That page links to the Windows Update page that shows 'Up to date' with no downloaded pending or optional updates. So Windows knows there is a bunch of update data somewhere but isn't showing what or where it is.

Does anyone know how to find the mystery update files?

I suspect, without any evidence whatsoever, that Windows 11 has pre-staged some stuff which the pc knows can never be installed, so it isn't showing it. Maybe this isn't the case, but I'd still like to get the storage back.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Just a thought, but could it be the accumulated total of (previously installed) Windows (10) updates? I am not computer savvy, so will leave a more definitive reply to others.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 25th, 2022, 8:26 am

You really need to know what's using your space and in which folders. Windows doesn't really help you to do this.

A programme like Treesize Free will show you the problem exactly.

Once you know, you can then investigate the best way of freeing it up.

Available from download sites.

Scott.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 25th, 2022, 9:11 am

swill453 wrote:You really need to know what's using your space and in which folders. Windows doesn't really help you to do this.

A programme like Treesize Free will show you the problem exactly.

Once you know, you can then investigate the best way of freeing it up.

Available from download sites.

Or directly from the developer: https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » July 25th, 2022, 9:26 am

https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/22/ ... ed_laptop/

“Step 3: Shrink Windows
Now you can do a little housekeeping in Windows to make some space. A hibernation file in an OS you don't use is a waste of disk space, and disabling it also disables Windows' "Fast Boot" mode which stops Linux mounting the disk. Again, open an Admin command prompt and type:
powercfg /h off
If the machine has been used for a while, it's a good plan to run a disk check. Open an Admin command prompt again, and type:
chkdsk c: /f
Answer yes with a Y, and then reboot.
We also recommend running Disk Cleanup twice. First time, run it in normal mode, tick all the boxes, and let it do its job. Then run it again, click "Clean up system files" and run it again. Second time typically takes a lot longer, but cleans up more stuff, including hard-to-remove stubborn stains such as Windows Update backups.”

PS - you can also remove the “built-in” dross you don’t want: https://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-remo ... indows-10/

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 25th, 2022, 9:57 am

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download is very likely where your 716 MB is.

It's apparently safe to clear it out, provided you stop the update service while you're doing it, but it will, it seems, slow down the next Windows Update.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/785704/cwindowssoftwaredistributiondownload-taking-up-too.html

BTW, something else you might look into is whether you have Settings > Updates & Security > Delivery Optimization turned on, and see the link on clearing the cache at the bottom of that too.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » July 25th, 2022, 10:21 am

GrahamPlatt wrote:https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/22/linux_nonapproved_laptop/

“Step 3: Shrink Windows

We also recommend running Disk Cleanup twice. First time, run it in normal mode, tick all the boxes, and let it do its job. Then run it again, click "Clean up system files" and run it again. Second time typically takes a lot longer, but cleans up more stuff, including hard-to-remove stubborn stains such as Windows Update backups.”

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 25th, 2022, 1:42 pm

^^ Clean up system files has always worked for me when trying to minimise Windows storage bloat.

After feature updates you'll have a few GB there as a restore option in the windows.old folder( for 10 days I think then it self deletes) - I'd always make sure the system is stable after updates before deleting anything though.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”