Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Sorrento/Amalfi Coast

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Matello7777

Sorrento/Amalfi Coast

Postby Matello7777 » August 4th, 2022, 9:30 am

Hi
Has anyone been to Sorrento/Amalfi Coast.
If so is it best to stay as close to Sorrento as possible for things to do?
Could anyone recommend a good hotel or even a travel company they'd recommend?
TIA
Mark

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Sorrento/Amalfi Coast

Postby 88V8 » August 4th, 2022, 10:31 am

We went with Riviera Travel.
I think a good tour guide is useful, especially if one does not speak the lingo.

Sorrento is very pleasant. Happy to recommend Hotel La Badia which is a brisk walk above the town.

The coast road is very crowded with tourist buses in season.

We went in October, would happily go again but wouldn't dream of going in high summer.

V8

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » August 4th, 2022, 10:43 am

We were in Sorrento 30 years ago. Lovely place.
We were in a hotel high up the hillside. It had beautiful terraced gardens and fabulous views across to Vesuvius. Cant remember the name.

There were interesting marquetry workshops in Sorrento.

On a recent cruise we visited Capri and thought it was very busy.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » August 5th, 2022, 1:55 pm

We went to the southern Amafi coast in 2018 and loved it. Had an Air BnB built into the cliffs over the sea. Driving is a bit hectic, just get the smallest car you can hire. Naples is a fun day out to. Since you have mentioned Sorrento, as an alternative check out Positano, smaller and cuter. Boat/ferry service is more fun than the buses and connects many towns along the coast.

wanderer
2 Lemon pips

Postby wanderer » August 5th, 2022, 9:21 pm

We last visited Sorrento last year. Fantastic place and pretty warm even in late October! We stayed at Hotel Antiche Mura Sorrento which was really well located. It also had a car park - which is a very rare and expensive thing in those parts. Driving from Naples to Sorrento in a hire car was cost effective but hair raising.

From Sorrento we had a lovely day out in Capri, another at Pompeii and a trip to Versuvius. Fabulous scenery, especially along the coast roads. Lovely sunsets, cheap cigars, expensive and crowded dining. Great for a week if you've not been before and want to see the best bits.

As I say, we hired a car which meant we had lots of flexibility getting around lots of different places and Sorrento was a good base location. I would do it again, for sure, but you do need nerves of steel to drive around Naples. I expect that without a car the costs of trips etc might be quite pricey so be sure to budget for that as you will certainly want to go beyond Sorrento to see all that the area has to offer.

Matello7777

Postby Matello7777 » August 6th, 2022, 3:16 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Really useful information.

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » August 6th, 2022, 3:34 pm

Hi Matello7777.

In terms of a decent travel company for Italy, especially the south thereof, you could consider these guys: https://www.long-travel.co.uk/

We stayed here: https://approdothalassospa.com/ though it was known as "Hotel Residence L’Approdo" then. The waters of the Med nearby cured my son's childhood eczema - it's never returned. It's further around the coast and you therefore tend to get more Neapolitans and fewer English speakers - it's down to you whether you think that is desirable - works for me.

The area San Marco (and Santa Maria) di Castellabate is still within striking distance of Pompeii, Vesuvius, Pasteum etc.

Regards, Newroad

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » August 6th, 2022, 7:51 pm

Another heads up for Positano. Also rented a car and actually loved the driving experience, just did what everyone else does and that was shout, swear, and put two fingers up. Quite the liberating experience, and if you kept quiet, was looked at as if something was wrong with you!

Stayed here, which was also quite unique.
https://www.ilsanpietro.com/

All told, a fabulous area, the whole of the Amalfi Coast. Can't go wrong. Provided the damn planes get you there with luggage intact.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » August 10th, 2022, 1:13 pm

Positano is certainly a great place to base your trip. One place you must visit is Ravello - about 1 hour from Positano. High up overlooking the coast, the view from Villa Cimbrone is one of those 'takes your breath away' moments. Also well worth a visit are the gardens at Villa Rufolo. The road up from the coast to Ravello from Castiglione is very very steep and winding in places.

T7

EviesDad

Postby EviesDad » August 10th, 2022, 2:23 pm

We visited Sorrento about 10yrs ago and stayed at a family run hotel called 'Il Nido' https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Rev ... pania.html
It's up the hill out of Sorrento and has lovely views over the bay of Naples. The hotel runs a regular shuttle bus down into Sorrento but during the evening we tended to eat in the hotel as we're usually knackered after a full days sightseeing. Had an enjoyable time doing all of the usual tourist stuff i.e Almafi coast, Capri, Pompeii, Herculaneum etc.

Matello7777

Postby Matello7777 » August 25th, 2022, 4:41 pm

Newroad wrote:Hi Matello7777.

In terms of a decent travel company for Italy, especially the south thereof, you could consider these guys: https://www.long-travel.co.uk/

We stayed here: https://approdothalassospa.com/ though it was known as "Hotel Residence L’Approdo" then. The waters of the Med nearby cured my son's childhood eczema - it's never returned. It's further around the coast and you therefore tend to get more Neapolitans and fewer English speakers - it's down to you whether you think that is desirable - works for me.

The area San Marco (and Santa Maria) di Castellabate is still within striking distance of Pompeii, Vesuvius, Pasteum etc.

Regards, Newroad

Hi Newroad,
I had a look on Long Travels website and whilst the one you mention wasn't there I found another decent one. However I'm not sure what's going on with them but having filled in online forms for them to contact me and having rung them to not get through and not have my calls returned I think they may be having some issues..
I also found a couple of reviews from last month reporting similar issues. One questioning whether they were in fact still in business.
Thanks for the recommendation though. Will keep looking around.

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » August 25th, 2022, 5:03 pm

Hi Matello7777.

Anything is possible re travel agents - Covid may well have caused the business to fail - or put them on their knees with a skeletal staff pending a hoped for recovery.

Let's hope they get back to you.

Regards, Newroad

Return to “Airport Lounge”