Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

UK eyes up cap on renewable electricity revenues after EU to raise £123bn in windfall tax.

Green investment room for those with a green conscience or following environmental, social and governance (ESG) principles
EarnestHummingbird

Re: UK eyes up cap on renewable electricity revenues after EU to raise £123bn in windfall tax.

Postby EarnestHummingbird » October 12th, 2022, 8:34 am

My investments in renewables like Greencoat wind are down massively in the space of a week or two.
From mid 160s to 132 right now.
Part of this is the government interference but part of.it must be the climb in gilt yields.
The dividend is around 5.5% which sounds like a buy but I've bought some more earlier this week and prices keep falling and falling.
If bond yields collapse,. it'll spread to anything that gives a steady income - where will it end?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: UK eyes up cap on renewable electricity revenues after EU to raise £123bn in windfall tax.

Postby idpickering » October 12th, 2022, 9:29 am

EarnestHummingbird wrote:My investments in renewables like Greencoat wind are down massively in the space of a week or two.
From mid 160s to 132 right now.
Part of this is the government interference but part of.it must be the climb in gilt yields.
The dividend is around 5.5% which sounds like a buy but I've bought some more earlier this week and prices keep falling and falling.
If bond yields collapse,. it'll spread to anything that gives a steady income - where will it end?

I hold UKW and TRIG in the sector with HICL too. All are down currently, but I tend to have a relaxed attitude to this. I get that shares go down as well as up, and as long as the fundamentals stack up, I will continue to hold the shares. In fact I like to buy more when shares take a dip. I’m certainly not selling.

Ian.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 12th, 2022, 9:33 am

Hallucigenia wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Tidal power unlike wind, never stops. I'm unclear why we have not gone hell-for-leather for tidal from the get-go. High and low tides even happen at different times around the coastline!

UK may have pioneered the industrial revolution and the rise of fossil fuel power, but in recent times has been unwilling to invest and has ridden on the coattails of other countries pioneering renewable energy such as
So it's expensive, and there's not been much experience elsewhere in the world that we could lean on here, whereas our offshore wind has benefited from technology proven in Denmark etc.

Denmark's geography is different to ours: like us they have lots of potential for offshore wind, but their tidal potential is a tiny fraction of ours. So it made sense for them to invest heavily in one but not t'other.

The short answer is that tidal is just A Lot More Difficult than wind, and so it's a lot more expensive.

Which came first? The chicken or the egg? Sorry, I mean the Difficulty in the one or the Investment in t'other?

But now that wind has gone through the subsidy system and no longer needs them, tidal has a better chance of attracting subsidies. Specifically, industry was told that there would be subsidy for 100MW of tidal guaranteed in the bidding rounds between 2015-20, with an initial price set at £305/MWh although nobody was ready then, but the success of offshore wind meant that the budget was overspent and so Greg Clark pulled the tidal guarantee. But to give you an idea, Atlantis (SAE.L) are probably the furthest along and they have just won rights to 28MW of tidal at £178.54/MWh (which won't go live until 2027), with 3 other projects accounting for 12.82MW. Current target is 1 GW tidal deployed by 2035.

Let's hope that doesn't fall victim to the change of prime minister!

Return to “Green Investing”