Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Inheriting share of property

including wills and probate
ArrandoraStarr

Inheriting share of property

Postby ArrandoraStarr » October 18th, 2023, 8:06 am

Morning Fools.

I have what is probably a very silly rookie question but hoping someone more knowledgeable can advise.

My late mother passed away in 2022 and the administration of her estate is just now being finalised. She left 50% of her share in the parental home to my father, who still lives there and owns the remaining 50%. So she has gifted him a further 25% on top of what he already owns. The remaining 25% is to be split evenly between me and my three siblings.

I rent my current home and have never owned even a share in a house before. So I am looking to understand what my rights and responsibilities are, and also those of my Dad. Is anyone able to break this down for me, please?

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Inheriting share of property

Postby Gerry557 » October 18th, 2023, 12:11 pm

So Dad owns 75% and you brothers 8.333% each

Im not sure what was in the will if it specified anything. Hopefully family is close so you can agree your own way forward.

Probably dad will be responsible for all bills etc and I assume no rent is paid on the 25% not owned.

Normally as an owner you are responsible for bills and maintenance including insurance. I'm also assuming no mortgage. Is dad leaving the property to the 3 brothers when the time comes. If not that might cause issues later.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » October 18th, 2023, 12:43 pm

Think there may be 4 of them, so 6.25% each.

My concern might be additional SDLT to pay if the OP later wants to buy his/her own house in future, will they then need to pay the extra 3% rate as they already have an interest in a residential property?

I think the family ought to consider this/take advice before leaving the will as it is, they still look like they could be within the two year window to vary matters.

EDIT

This article looks helpful but paid for advice should be taken.

https://www.moorebarlow.com/blog/inheri ... -land-tax/

JonE
Lemon Slice

Postby JonE » October 19th, 2023, 7:46 am

Charlottesquare wrote:Think there may be 4 of them, so 6.25% each.

Yes, that's how I read it: OP plus 3 siblings. Add the father and there'd be 5 with an interest. I have a vague recollection that there's a maximum (in E&W) of 4 'legal' proprietors being registered.

Perhaps the executor(s) can advise how they intend to proceed.

It may be helpful for OP to get a handle on 'beneficial' vs 'legal' interests:
https://hmlandregistry.blog.gov.uk/2016 ... ifference/

Cheers!

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”