Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Clearing a mortgage before selling

including wills and probate
pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Clearing a mortgage before selling

Postby pochisoldi » October 13th, 2023, 6:29 pm

Other than a possible saving in interest payments, Is there any advantage to clearing a mortgage before selling a property.
Or put another way, would the vendor save money on legal costs and disbursements? (Maybe the cost of sending the funds to the lender)
Does it make life easier at all on the purchaser's side?

Note that I know that the vendor's solicitor will hold the proceeds on trust to discharge any mortgage due, but the scenario I'm looking at is a minimal mortgage (sub £1k), which the vendor could use to discharge the mortgage themselves without paying any CHAPS fees, or the solicitor triggering charges for a repeat redemption statement (happened once to me).

PochiSoldi

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Clearing a mortgage before selling

Postby Mike4 » October 13th, 2023, 6:42 pm

I'm inclined not to, as if you find a quick buyer their searches might reveal old records saying there is a mortgage, while in actual fact it is mortgage-free.

This could lead to some delay in resolving it and getting everyone convinced, prior to getting the deal completed.

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » October 13th, 2023, 8:32 pm

I paid off a mortgage a little while before putting a house on the market, and told my solicitor there was no mortgage. As Mike4 suggests, this caused confusion because the details hadn't worked their way through the system. If you've got a few months leeway so that the Land Registry documents are up to date, I guess you might get some small savings on fees.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » October 13th, 2023, 11:05 pm

My conclusion is that unless I redeem the mortgage (with charge/mortgage showing as removed at LR) before the property went on the market , I would be better off overpaying but not redeeming the mortgage, as any reduction in costs would be minimal compared to the possible shenanigans that might arise.

Thanks for your input
PochiSoldi

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”